apollard24

Infected tattoo

Anyone ever had to deal with an infected tattoo and how long did it take take to heal?

A few weeks ago I got a tattoo on my foot and after several days, wearing a shoe and Sadie scratching my foot it became infected. Its almost healed but didnt imagine it would take 3 weeks to heal.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

Message sent. Until then, here's a sample of some of his work he did for another friend & his wife (Rylee is their new daughter). Note: "440source" is only penned on!
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I've heard that neosporin is actually bad for tattoo aftercare... my artist said no-no on neo but okay to use Bacitracin or A&D ointment. Both are available at local drug stores... The following is from an after tattoo care website...

Use a mild antibacterial soap or any other gentle soap that is free of deodorants, skin softeners, or other additives.

Rub the soap gently on the tattoo using your fingers.

After you clean the tattoo, gently pout cold water over it for a few minutes. The cold water will tighten your pores, which will help the tattoo heal healthily and quickly. Some tattoo artists believe that the cold water helps the color set in.

Lightly, pat the tattoo dry with a soft towel.

Carefully, apply a light coating of A & D ointment. DO NOT smear ointment on too thick because your skin needs to be able to breath. A small drop of ointment should be enough to cover the tattoo, depending on the size of the tattoo. Gently massage a small dab of the ointment into the tattoo using your fingertips.

You can use Bacitracin or even a gentle additive free lotion as long as it is water based, such as Corn Huskers Lotion. But, since A & D ointment contains nothing but skin healing vitamins A and D, it's the ideal balm to use on a new tattoo.

For the first two weeks after you get your tattoo, keep it away from water as much as possible. Use only your fingers to wash the new tattoo. And, blot it dry with a soft towel.

New Tattoo Don'ts

Do not rebandage a tattoo.
Never use soaps with additives such as special scents, skin softeners, etc. Make sure to use water-based products, non-petroleum based.
Never use loofahs, sponges, washcloths, cotton balls, paper towels, or anything else but your fingers to clean a tattoo.
Do not put a new tattoo under a full force faucet.
When taking a shower, don't let the water directly hit the tattoo.
When taking a bath, don't submerge the tattoo in the water.
Don't coat the surface of the tattoo too thick with ointment, as you will suffocate the skin, cause it to scab up and increase your risk of infection.
No rubbing, scrubbing, picking, or scratching, no matter how much it itches!

Hope it helps till you hear from a professional....

I've also heard to never put neosporin on a tattoo! I've always heard to wash it clean with non-scented anti-bacterial soap-such as Dial, and to never cover it back up. Once it starts looking better, then apply non-scented lotion (lubriderm). Good Luck!

I've also been told not to but thats really only for the first few days if I understood correctly. Part of the reason is because some people have allergic reactions and will get bumbs. When the tattoo heals there will be patches of the tattoo missing where the bumbs showed up from the allergic reaction.

Oh and i had a friend that had an infected tattoo once. It took about a month and a half to heal correctly.

I've also heard to never put neosporin on a tattoo! I've always heard to wash it clean with non-scented anti-bacterial soap-such as Dial, and to never cover it back up. Once it starts looking better, then apply non-scented lotion (lubriderm). Good Luck!

I've also been told not to but thats really only for the first few days if I understood correctly. Part of the reason is because some people have allergic reactions and will get bumbs. When the tattoo heals there will be patches of the tattoo missing where the bumbs showed up from the allergic reaction.

Oh and i had a friend that had an infected tattoo once. It took about a month and a half to heal correctly.

I was wondering about continuing care for a tattoo. Do you use Lubriderm every day after the tat is healed? It seems like using lotion everyday has been making the color look more vibrant, but I do not want to do anything to hurt the image long term.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Here's what the man says:

First off, she needs to stop using Neosporin, period. Tell her to wash it a couple times a day with soap and water and let nature take it's course. There's nothing she can do at this point to speed up the healing.

The tattoo more than likely became "infected" because she didn't take proper care of it initially. Wearing a shoe and having your pet licking it won't help heal it. The first 48 hours are the most important determining how good your tattoo will heal. It needs to be treated like an open wound... you wouldn't dress a fresh wound with an old shoe, right?

Feet are tricky, they're prone to infection (the part of your body closest to the ground) and "can" be difficult to heal. You need to go out of your way to take care of them while healing.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Thank you very much for your help. I stopped putting the neosporin on it. Will let nature take its course.

Oh, and I think someone asked and Sadie is a big dog. She just stepped on my foot and while I was trying to hold her back from someone at the door my foot got scratched. Just an accident.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

I was wondering about continuing care for a tattoo. Do you use Lubriderm every day after the tat is healed? It seems like using lotion everyday has been making the color look more vibrant, but I do not want to do anything to hurt the image long term.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tattoo artist or an expert on tattoos. I do know a bit about them from talking to my artist though.

The lotion does seem to make the colors look more vibrant. I doubt it will hurt it however I would still recommend checking with your artist. The main reason for putting lotion on when it is healing, as I understand it, is that it keeps the scabs moisturized and from getting too thick and crusty. If they get real thick and crusty and they get scraped off somehow you run more of a risk of losing ink wherever that scab was. Anyone that has more knowledge on the subject feel free to correct me if I got something wrong.

Call me crazy for suggesting this, but have you considered consulting a physician?
17 posts so far, and not a single mention (yet) of the word "doctor".

That's a good plot for a TV series ... Dr. Tattoo....
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Call me crazy for suggesting this, but have you considered consulting a physician?

"Bozz! Bozz! Dee plane!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"Bozz! Bozz! Dee plane!":D

Your French accent sucks ... and you are too tall !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

People say NOT to use Neosporin because most people who DO use it gob it on and it pulls the ink out. There is a correct way to use it and an incorrect way - and to avoid people ruining their new ink, Neospirin generally gets put at the top of the list of DO NOT's, which is too bad,

A tatoo is an open wound, and it should be treated that way. Neosporin should be used for the first 2 or 3 days only, and only a VERY small amount. A single layer as thin as possible and just enough to keep the tattoo moist. Stretch as little as you can as far as you can but make sure you cover the tattoo. After 2 or 3 days of that, switch to non scented lotion and you should be good.

Letting pets lick or scratch tattoos is a horrible idea and a perfect way to get an infection.

An ex of mine got a decent sized tattoo on the back of his leg when we were dating. To do the initial cleaning he used a washcloth that was in the shower. The next day he was in the hospital with a nice infection and an IV drip.

I just watched a show today called tattoo hunter no bull
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .