sharimcm

Kind of "techincal" help needed - DVD to photo

I hate asking for help... Especially from smart ass skydivers, but I am frustrated here. I am TRYING to figure out if it's possible (which I know it is - I just don't know how) to capture a still image from a DVD. I've called photo places, camera shops, print service locations, and no one seems to do the service. All I want is a couple of still images "cut" from my SCR video... Is that too much to ask for?? If anyone knows how to do it, PLEASE let me know. I've googled it, but the technical jargon used is way too technical for me to understand.

I might even offer a boobies picture in return for the help... :o

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Rip the dvd to your computer. Start a project with windows movie maker. You can take all the pictures you want with it. If you dont have a ripper program let me know. I can hook ya up.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

A number of different video programs have a screen capture facility... I just looked at VLC and it has a snapshoot function.

Don't really even have to go that far. Just play the video on your computer, pause it at the scene you want a picture of, and do a computer screen capture.

And yes, the quality isn't very good, but you'll have a snap shot of what you're wanting.

Windows: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Mac: http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/secretcapture.html

To the OP, if you post your in the 'Photography Forum' you'll get much more technical answers. Someone might even offer to do it for you. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

A number of different video programs have a screen capture facility... I just looked at VLC and it has a snapshoot function.

Don't really even have to go that far. Just play the video on your computer, pause it at the scene you want a picture of, and do a computer screen capture.

And yes, the quality isn't very good, but you'll have a snap shot of what you're wanting.

Windows: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Mac: http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/secretcapture.html

To the OP, if you post your in the 'Photography Forum' you'll get much more technical answers. Someone might even offer to do it for you. :^)

ltdiver

I don't know about Windows, but screen capture is disabled during DVD playback (via DVD Player) on the Mac. A third party app such as VLC must be used to play the DVD in order to take a screenshot.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Unfortunately, my computer is an old piece of shit without DVD capabilities. It does have an expansion bay on it though, so I think I can add it.

I'll try the capture screen on Walt's computer when I get the time to go to his apartment. Or take the DVD to work and see if I can't do something there.

The videographer told me he took still photos and he'd send them to me, but... Unfortunately, he's no longer among us. [:/] RIP Lee.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself