NewGuy2005

Anyone here on Linkedin??

I have a boat load of connections, but, at this point, it has not proven overly valuable.

Just by going through the setup process I can see how it could really connect you to a lot of people very fast. Kind of unsettling, though. I suppose you get used to it.

Yes. If you're job searching, it's fantastic. I used it quite often if I had a target organization but didn't know anyone there. I'd search LinkedIn, sometimes coming up with people I knew who I didn't know worked there, other times finding a connection who was one person away from me. I found the job I had before the one I have now through LinkedIn as well, and it's not a bad job search engine in itself. I find the signal-to-noise ratio of the jobs to be much better than any of the other sites.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes. If you're job searching, it's fantastic.

Cool. I'm not currently looking, but you never know. I expect that the recovery from the current recession will be a good time for career advancement. The time to start laying that foundation is now.

That was my reasoning... And while I'm not a software engineer, there's ample job opportunities in my region. Easily searchable too. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Someone I work with asked me to sign up, he is my only link or friend. I have used it to research people that I was going to do business with and I've almost always found them on there.

But then again, I only have 1 friend on dropzone.com and it was out of pity. I think she would be my friend if I knew her.

Someone I work with asked me to sign up, he is my only link or friend.

Yeah - what he said. Only one contact.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun