mr_shaggles

pre-jumps feelings

Scared out of my mind! I had people coming up to ask if I was okay, and didn't know what they were talking about until I took a look at the video :| My face was SOOO pale, I kept fidgeting with everything, and wildly swinging my legs when we were waiting to load up.

Half way up I calmed down and made myself thing "I am just along for the ride, so relax." When we got out the door...it was all smiles from ear to ear! :)

F LORIDA!

Out of a load of static liners going out of a 182 I was in the student seat right next to the door. When that door opened up to spot I was like..."That's high!", a little freaked to be sure.

From there my training kicked in, got out on the strut and it wasn't until my instructor gave me the go command that i hung for a second and thought, "Here goes! Arch thousand, two thousand ...." as I fell away. I still remember the ride down. It was a beautiful morning ... and the radio guy landed me in the ditch :( haha.

I really had to force myself to get through the student progression. It just wasn't natural jumping for me. I would even groan on the inside when I knew I got to go a thousand feet higher in my progression!

Glad I stuck with it though. Skydiving saved me from boredom!

I'm like a chocolate covered pretzel...I might be kind of melty but dang, I'm exquisite!

Anyone remember their feelings before their first jumps?
:S?[:/]?B|?
please enlighten....

I was like... "it's about time I get to do this"

I had at the time, about 3k hours in the back of Navy helicopters and lots of rappels out of the same. Jumping out of an aircraft just seemed normal. Still does actually (Oh man, I need help).
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

My first three jumps were tandem. Not scared at all. I put my full trust in my tandem master, AFF on the other hand........ Put it this way. You couldn't have pounded a needle in my butt with a sledge hammer. I had never been so scared in my life. After AFF that went away.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I was a little freaked climbing out the 182 door for SL #1. Didn't hesitate or anything - just a scary feeling. Was out on the step and ready to go and it turns out the spot didn't look good (jumping rounds), so the pilot had to do a 180 to reposition. I just sat back down in the doorway with my legs outside and enjoyed the view, then got back on the step when instructed. Climbing out was less freaky ththat second time.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I did the static line course. All day in the class i kept thinking "i don't have to jump" When it came time to jump i was put in the back (a place i am now fammiliar with) because of weight so i was last to go out.I was so scared that everything i was taught in the class went out of the plane with me. I let go of the plane and heard the air go out of me. Then i looked up and saw an open canopy and thought HHHHHMMMMMMM I'm supposed to do something. Then i heard Kahn say in the radio "do a controlability check" then i was ok. I had a tough student progression in my opinion but i graduated in 14 jumps. there were days i went to the dz hoping that i wouldnt get to jump. I was so terrified,but i kept going back because i didnt want to not do something because i was scared. I'm glad i stuck with it

It took me 10 or so jumps to be able to be calm and laidback on the plane up. I was tensed up and and nervous up intil we went for the jump-run, seeing the others jump out reall helped! i wasnt nervous at all when i stood in the door.. Then all i could think was "Fuck yea"

first jump wasnt that bad, but jumps #2 and #3.. man, i was never scared in my life, but those two jumps.. if it wasnt for my AFFI's.. i would of told the guys to use the money for some fun on their own! and that was like 3k's... :S

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Got to go through the whole cycle twice in my life. When I started jumping 35 years ago, I was scared, more than I thought I'd be. Something about the plane lifting off the runway and realizing I'm actually going to jump out. Second jump was even worse. After that, things got more manageable with time.

Then I took 22 years off. When I came back, having made over 500 jumps long ago was NO help at all. As soon as the plane lifted off I thought, "Oh god, I'm going to do THIS all over...". Handled the jump just fine, but I went through being completely dry mouth scared maybe the first half dozen times. Then I got used to it. Now I just get the usual nerves on the first jump of the day.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !