CSpenceFLY

The Useless Trivia Thread

Either post a trivia question or a piece of useless trivia. Be sure to check back for answers if you post a question.

I'll start with this.

Who can tell me what a Dipsy Doodle is when used in the context of the aviation environment.

Since there were no guesses.

After take off and the top up the SR-71 Blackbird will perform a manoeuvre called the Dipsy Doodle, here it passes mach 1 by a climb to 33,000ft followed by a sharp dive to allow the aircraft to traverse high drag transonic range without using a lot of fuel. The aircraft will then climb to at least 60,000 ft.

Here's an easy one.

If today I gave you a penny, and tomorrow I gave you another, and the next I gave you two pennies, and kept doubling that amount, how much would you end up with after a month?
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

Close enough! However, Excel doesn't lie! but then again I could have totally f'ed up the formula. haha. I heard that math problem off "The Happening".

Here's another....

There is a theory called the Divine Proportion that states many things are proprotional to each other by a certain fraction. They call it the golden fraction/section, 1.618, or phi.

From your finger nails, to the bones of your fingers to your hand. From your hand to your radius, to your humerus, and the same with your legs, and teeth, all are proportional to something by 1.618. The size of your nose to the level of your hair line ( I don't know about bald people though sorry). Its found in so many things I just barely scratching the surface, but amazing none the less.

Another interesting relationship of golden section to the design of the human body is that there are:
5 appendages to the torso, in the arms, leg and head.
5 appendages on each of these, in the fingers and toes and 5 openings on the face.
5 senses in sight, sound, touch, taste and smell.
The golden section in turn, is also based on 5, as the number phi, or 1.6180339..., is computed using 5's, as follows:

5 ^ .5 * .5 + .5 = Phi

http://goldennumber.net/
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.