happythoughts

gear checks

sure it wont hurt - but you're a licensed skydiver, and should know what to look for!? if you cant find problems on your own gear, how will you on others!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

sure it wont hurt - but you're a licensed skydiver, and should know what to look for!? if you cant find problems on your own gear, how will you on others!?

Because we're all human and sometimes human beings make mistakes. I'd much rather be out there scanning my friends' gear to make sure that I don't see anything on it that could potentially kill them ... or me. If I see toggles or risers hanging out of a pack job, or a pin flap or riser covers opening up, I'll ask if I can tuck them back in. A preemie sucks for the jumper who has it, but it could suck for me just as much if it happens on exit and I end up with their canopy in my face.

And I want them scanning me, too. I try to be vigilant with my gear checks, but I'm also human, and I'd much rather address a problem on the ground than in the air.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I always ask for a gear check before boarding the a/c (even at places that do not require them) ..... because shit happens and after leaving the plane, it's too late!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Usually I jump tandemvideo and usually I don't get any checks (unless I've moved around in the plane a lot). I've been guilty of running to the plane with my rig over my shoulder a time or two although I try very hard to avoid that [:/] But I've also jumped fill-in camera for a number of different FS4 teams, and some of them, the more pro teams, often check each other's pins and pilotchute in the plane, and some of those included me in that "round up". I like that idea, especially since it's me getting a faceful of canopy if a team member should have a premie. I don't want just anyone checking me and especially not in the plane, but this felt good :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Because we're all human and sometimes human beings make mistakes. I'd much rather be out there scanning my friends' gear to make sure that I don't see anything on it that could potentially kill them ... or me. If I see toggles or risers hanging out of a pack job, or a pin flap or riser covers opening up, I'll ask if I can tuck them back in. A preemie sucks for the jumper who has it, but it could suck for me just as much if it happens on exit and I end up with their canopy in my face.

And I want them scanning me, too. I try to be vigilant with my gear checks, but I'm also human, and I'd much rather address a problem on the ground than in the air.

fair enough - but asking for a "pin-check"!?
i would of asked or talked to a fellow skydiver when i would of seen something "wrong"; but asking!? my new rig looks a bit weird, and it's one of two at the dz, so chances are likely high for someone to sport something that isnt really there, or just dont know what to look for..

do you know every rig and it's quirks!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

No, but I have a tongue in my head and I can ask the owner.... Then I'll know, for the next time.

As long as you do ask before touching anything even the least bit unfamiliar. I've seen people pulling on poptops, not being able to close reserve flaps at all or worse, close them wrong, stuff like that which is why I will not let just anyone touch my flaps. This is an attitude I find comon among more experienced jumpers who likely have had or have seen the same problems.
I do really appreciate anyone asking about stuff that looks weird to them, like reversed risers, crw rigs with stuff hanging out, open riser covers for a hop'n'pop. I once asked the jumper in front of me for boarding why there was a bit of pink packing cord peeking out from under his main flap, for instance :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No, but I have a tongue in my head and I can ask the owner.... Then I'll know, for the next time.

As long as you do ask before touching anything even the least bit unfamiliar. I've seen people pulling on poptops, not being able to close reserve flaps at all or worse, close them wrong, stuff like that which is why I will not let just anyone touch my flaps. This is an attitude I find comon among more experienced jumpers who likely have had or have seen the same problems.
I do really appreciate anyone asking about stuff that looks weird to them, like reversed risers, crw rigs with stuff hanging out, open riser covers for a hop'n'pop. I once asked the jumper in front of me for boarding why there was a bit of pink packing cord peeking out from under his main flap, for instance :)

Oh, I've been around this (and other flying) sports for a loooong time (is 30 years a long time?) , long enough to know not to touchy touchy.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

How likely is it that an undone chest strap, or an incorrectly routed chest strap will result in the jumper being ejected from the rig? I have caught one, just before boarding the plane. An AFF student who was starting her solo's had her chest strap looped through the fastener only once, and then had the excess secured with the bungee loop, so at first glance it didn't look too bad. I am pretty confident that this would not have been caught in the plane. I told her about it and showed her how to fix it. I tried to make her understand that doing that is a pretty big deal, but I got the impression she just blew me off. I let her instructor and DZO know about it though. How likely is that scenario to result in a fatality?

I'm curious as to how you're looking at your pin or pilot chute while you're in the plane and wearing your rig? Yes - you can feel around there with your hands, but that won't tell you everything that a visual inspection by a fellow skydiver can tell you. What is it that's stopping you from asking for assistance?

I know what to look for, or if I don't, I'll ask the owner/wearer of the rig. I ask for a pin check not because I don't know what to look for. I ask for a pin check because I know that I cannot see the back and bottom of my container while I'm wearing it.

The British Army Parachute Association (similar to civilian BPA) require students to get three gear checks before jumping.
A thorough FLIGHT LINE CHECK , signed by an instructor before he leaves the dressing area. This ensures that the student is wearing the correct equipment, properly adjusted, etc. The - signed - inspection sheet must be stored at manifest for "X" number of years.
A second GEAR CHECK - by the jump-master - before boarding the airplane. Hopefully, this catches any gear knocked loose during practice at the mock-up.
And a third PIN CHECK a minute or two before exit. Hopefully, this catches any gear knocked loose while moving around in the airplane.

Having two different instructors inspect gear reduces the chance that anything will be missed. Two different instructors does not eliminate mistakes, just REDUCES mistakes.

Now that gear has gotten more reliable (and it has) people seem to think that the smaller incidence of problems means that checks are no longer required. Not sure if it is, or isn't, true, but a check on the ground is unlikely to hurt

I stopped getting pin checks when I noticed that on video I only had an open main flap after receiving pin checks.

i check my gear before i board - and then make darn sure i dont hit "things" - if i do, i'll gladly ask if things were still in place!

again, the rig i use is not very common around here - and may look a little strange to most, actually, i get asked frequently about it, but it's just fine. so i dont really like anyone messing around with it, with the rather limited experience of others..

BUT, i love to tell people that it's completely normal to see one grommet sticking out, since the vectors have - uhm, how do i say it - "displace" grommets!? meaning, they're not one over the top of each other, but placed besides each other..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Hi ryan,

How likely is it that an undone chest strap, or an incorrectly routed chest strap will result in the jumper being ejected from the rig?

I would say: Quite likely

I would also say: Not absolutely will happen

IIRC there was a female fatality in Italy many years ago where she fell out of the rig when the chest-strap failed.

While some may disagree with me, I consider the chest-strap to be a structural part of the harness.

JerryBaumchen

How likely is it that an undone chest strap, or an incorrectly routed chest strap will result in the jumper being ejected from the rig?

I would say: Quite likely

I would also say: Not absolutely will happen

IIRC there was a female fatality in Italy many years ago where she fell out of the rig when the chest-strap failed.

While some may disagree with me, I consider the chest-strap to be a structural part of the harness.

There have been other threads discussing this question on here, such as this one.

I haven't seen any real data. Some people think it likely. Others seem to think it possible but unlikely. Either way, I think everyone agrees that it's possible to fall out on deployment if the chest strap is not connected properly, so it's certainly worth a few seconds checking it.

fair enough - but asking for a "pin-check"!?

I do on almost every jump! But i'm not too proud to ask.......

Shit happens and i'm not immune from shit happening.....are you?
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

...my new rig looks a bit weird, ...

...do you know every rig and it's quirks!?

I think you are being overly dramatic about your unusual new rig. Generally, the things that are looked for in a simple "pin check" are generic things that "most" jumpers can discern on "most" rigs. It's not like you're asking them to change your AAD batteries under the wing of the airplane.

Is your rig so exotic and inscrutable that most of your fellow jumpers can't find the chest strap, 3-rings, main pin, etc. ? Or do you just consider your fellow jumpers to be such morons that they could not handle this ?

Kevin K.

...my new rig looks a bit weird, ...

...do you know every rig and it's quirks!?

I think you are being overly dramatic about your unusual new rig. Generally, the things that are looked for in a simple "pin check" are generic things that "most" jumpers can discern on "most" rigs. It's not like you're asking them to change your AAD batteries under the wing of the airplane.

Is your rig so exotic and inscrutable that most of your fellow jumpers can't find the chest strap, 3-rings, main pin, etc. ? Or do you just consider your fellow jumpers to be such morons that they could not handle this ?

Kevin K.

Unusual configurations do happen and the owner/user needs to take necessary actions to work with those differences. Racers at DZ's that don't have any, loose reserve PC on a Reflex where they're not seen, pullouts (how many of you with
So. If you have an unusual rig (like me when I'm jumping my tersh) it is up to you to educate someone on the DZ on the quirks of your rig and then get them to check your rig after gear-up.

I have trained at least one trusted jumper to pin check me each time I don that rig, and usually its someone who is going on the plane so that pre-jump checks can also be made.

If you're asked to check a rig you don't know, well... guess what?.. you just came upon a learning opportunity. Tell the wearer you don't know the rig and get them (or someone who does) to train you on the rig. Speak up!!

Newbies, you too have eyes. See something you don't like? SAY SOMETHING!!! (I do agree with the notion of "ask before touching.")

The life you save might be mine ;)

JW

PS - don't forget your pilots people... Found a pilot that did not have his chest strap done correctly... Mentioned it to him and he said that in years of flying jumpers no one had checked his gear and told him he was doing it wrong... [:/]
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

PS - don't forget your pilots people... Found a pilot that did not have his chest strap done correctly... Mentioned it to him and he said that in years of flying jumpers no one had checked his gear and told him he was doing it wrong... [:/]

We had a pilot that found out he donned his rig wrong all by himself: he stood up straight after hooking his legstrap to his handle :$

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We had a pilot that found out he donned his rig wrong all by himself: he stood up straight after hooking his legstrap to his handle :$

:D:D:D
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

wow, your tone is so nice, u'd be the last i'd ask.. :S

then you'd be a fool.
That man is one of experience and advice, to be learned from, he offers it up freely even to fools

Your attitude about your rig and your fellow jumpers lack of knowledge in relation to it, indicates that you do not trust them. WHY NOT?
There is nothing particularly unique in a V3 desgin that will flumoox most intellgient people. With Anything that you think IS unique it would be your job to explain to them.
Unless of course like many other you actually dont know youreself how all your gear works.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When I first started jumping I was told a story from a fellow jumper about a very near miss in our C-182. On a hot summer day the they were taking off with the pilot window open for ventalation. At about a 1000' plus feet (I forget what exact altitude), just as the pilot closed the window his spring loaded pilot chute hit the glass, still drawn to it from the suction when it was open. :o Even before he latched the window. They were lucky that day.:|

So now I try to check the pilots rig when I think about it, but I'll admit its not that often.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

2- With their permission, pin check.

I only give 'real' pin checks to people I like, everyone else gets a fake one with a 'it's all-good' pat on the back.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----