skybytch

Lent - whatcha givin' up?

If you have an issue with the religion behind the practice of giving something up for Lent, please hit the back button now. Your input is not needed or wanted here, feel free to head on over to SC where your vitriol will be appreciated.

I haven't been a practicing Catholic in 30+ years, but once again this year I'll be (attempting) to give up alcohol for Lent. Not for religious reasons, but in honor and memory of JP. I love and miss you, my friend...

So anyway, what will you be giving up?

I give up meat every year. Not just on Fridays but the entire time. Partly for lent and partly as a self test.

Unfortunately as a result my carb and sodium intake normally skyrockets as i am forced to eat other things.

(edit for poor spelling)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

gave up alcohol last year. Remind me to never do that again! that was freakin hard, but it was kind of nice reintegrating my habit on Easter Sunday. I didn't mean to get trashed ... it just happened! ;)

I'll be giving up red meat this year. More power to you for giving up ALL meat. That would be harder than alcohol for me!

Jordan
I'm like a chocolate covered pretzel...I might be kind of melty but dang, I'm exquisite!

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. I never really crave meat so the biggest thing is it's just a pain in the ass and a big inconvienience. Especially during lunch time during the work week. You really dont have a ton of options that dont get real old real fast.

I think giving up all meat is a lot easier than giving up alcohol. I dont drink a lot but when i want a drink i WANT a drink ;)

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I give up meat every year. Not just on Fridays but the entire time.

My brother did that a few years ago. He began to be more tired and had to eat more often bc he was always hungry. What do you do to counter that?

I'll make sure I eat meat around you at the dz, joe... Good luck!

My brother did that a few years ago. He began to be more tired and had to eat more often bc he was always hungry. What do you do to counter that?

I dont know why he felt tired unless he was just eating less period. There are plenty of other ways to get the potential loss in protein but carbs are going to help with energy.

I am a vitamin freak too. I take 9 in the morning, 2 at lunch, and 3-4 in the evening depending on my routine. My supplements vary on whether i am jumping or not too, like with amino acids and stuff. (Havent i ever offered you chewable L-glutamine at the DZ? I normally offer them to everyone in the hanger which earns me starnge looks.) I also found a great protein shake that i drink every morning and after workouts. I normally count my calorie intake and estimate what i burn in my work outs so if needed i will suppliment with energy bars.

Beyond that though i didnt really dont feel tired when i do this. As i mentioned before i usually eat more carbs than usual because its an easy substitute so i am intaking plenty of energy.

I'll make sure I eat meat around you at the dz, joe... Good luck!

You would! :P

Sex.

In my case that's the easiest thing to do. I'm already on a roll. All I have to do is keep it going.

Oh wait....let me clarify. Solo sex doesn't count here.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Wow ... are you sure that you're not over thinking this.... why not just eat a good balanced diet of ... um .... how can I put this..... um REAL FOOD:P

I know, how old fashioned am I?

Well, when you cut a category out of your diet, you have to find another way to balance it :P

However i always take that many vitamins. Mainly because i am "sponsored" by my local GNC. Or at least thats what my whuffo friend that owns it call it as he uses me for his guinea pig. I pay practically next to nothing for everything because I've got half my friends and coworkers shopping there now :P