SARLDO

Chlorine in my car

So yesterday afternoon, i'm driving home from the pool suply store (I live in Orlando, it's summer already) and a container of liquid shock (chlorine) spills open and dumps abour 2 gallons of the stuff in the back of my Jeep G.C. Spent about 2 hours trying to clean it up and had to stop when the chem burns got to be too much. My car is trashed inside and today I have to take it to a collision center to get the interior fixed/replaced.

Anybody know what kind of long term damage might there be from this? I'm pretty sure chlorine is highly corrosive so i'm insisting the carpet gets replaced and the car gets washed on the inside. Any other way to neutralize chlorine safely?
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Although it sounds counter-productive, giving all exposed areas a rinse with a low pecentage acid solution and re-rinsing with clean water should help.

It's standard procedure when cleaning beverage tanks, etc. - the acid neautralizes the alkaline reaction...
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Thanks folks. My car is now in the shop and the seats and carpeting are being removed to get to the chlorine. Hopefully, the damage to metal will be minimal. I hate days like this [:/]

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

It could be worse...you could've been my buddy who went fishing and got drunk...he got so drunk that he knocked over his shrimp bait bucket into his ride and it was stuck so he left it out at the beach for an entire weekend and when he came back to get it out from being stuck it smelled so bad when you opened the doors you had to do everything in your power not to blow chunks.

It could be worse...you could've been my buddy who went fishing and got drunk...he got so drunk that he knocked over his shrimp bait bucket into his ride and it was stuck so he left it out at the beach for an entire weekend and when he came back to get it out from being stuck it smelled so bad when you opened the doors you had to do everything in your power not to blow chunks.

That reminds me of an episode of Mythbusters. They got an old banger, put two dead pigs in it and put it in a sealed container for 1-2 weeks. After said time they opened it up, shoveled it out, had the interior pretty much replaced and detailed, but the smell remained. :|

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Your absolutely right. I'm fairly confident this will clean up ok and with a carpet replacement, there should be no evidence of this little mishap.

I couldn't imagine what a car would smell like after a wekend of fermenting bait. I think I would just torch it right there.

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Although it sounds counter-productive, giving all exposed areas a rinse with a low pecentage acid solution and re-rinsing with clean water should help.

I would forget the acid step. It might produce more damage than good. It could leave some acid residue rather than the base you are trying to get rid of. Both acids and bases can corrode steel.
FYI the interior as well as the exterior is electrodeposited steel. The coating is there to protect against corrosion etc... Since you reacted quickly and will wash with plenty of water, you should be just fine.

I am a pool serviceman.

Rinse it well. I would not use any other chemicals, simply compounds the problem. And, next time, buy granulated chlorine, its all I use for service, to avoid exactly what happened to you. You can get granulated acid too.

dont ever ever ever mix acid and chlorine...it makes mustard gas.

Thanks. I may have to revert to the pros for my pool service. Trying to save myself a few bucks by doing it myself just cost me more. [:/] Well, my pool is looking much better just overnight, maybe there's hope for me yet. Yea, granular is the way of my pools future to avoid this happening again.

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68