Hausse

New Season, New Tent. Need recomendations!

Hi guys

The new season is here and last years tent didn't survive so I'm out looking for a new one. Anybody have recommendations?

Needs to be:
Waterproof (it will be in upstate NY)
Big (at least 5+ people)
Durable (I'll leave it up all season)

Thanks!

I've had good luck with Coleman for car camping tents. They don't leak and if well staked out will stand up to winds up to about 25-30 mph.

Our last one supposedly sleeps 6 people (it's cavernous for two people and a dog) and we only paid around $50 on sale at one of the big box stores.

Get the llbean 6 person king pine dome tent. Excellent materials and construction. We have had ours for years and have been really happy with it after many other tents that didn't last.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=53083&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500106&feat=500106-tn&cat4=1096

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

Be sure to look into what type of windows/doors you would like to have.

Taxiway got a new tent this past weekend that was all mesh windows with no way to block the cold wind. When it got going it was pretty chilly, so he froze his ass off because there were no flaps to block the wind. :D

F LORIDA!

Be sure to look into what type of windows/doors you would like to have.

Taxiway got a new tent this past weekend that was all mesh windows with no way to block the cold wind. When it got going it was pretty chilly, so he froze his ass off because there were no flaps to block the wind. :D

Hehe lol yeah an acutally closed tent would be awesome! :D

Sweet my gf just ordered me one of these!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N58EXW

Look at the rain fly on that tent - it's mostly worthless. It leaves too much of the sides of the tent exposed to the rain, and where the rain hits those areas, it will soak through. This is a tent pet peeve of mine - many makers produce small rain flys to reduce weight and bulk, but then they don't do the job. I've spent nights huddled in a corner while rain blows in at an angle at the other side. I've spent nights where my air mattress ends up floating like a raft in a pool of water inside the tent. I like a good rain fly. That one isn't.

(I'll leave it up all season)
last years tent didn't survive
I think this is called "a clue"....

Yes, they're not designed for that. But if you're willing to spend that much money to have a ready-set home each weekend, it's worth it. It all depends upon one's personal finances. It's a lot of hassle putting up a tent every Saturday night, and taking it down every Sunday. If a $150 tent will last all year, that's only $3 per weekend, and may be worth it to throw it away after a year, to avoid that hassle of making camp and breaking camp each weekend. The Blue Sky Ranch has a patch of woods where dozens of people do this, with tents scattered everywhere in the woods, that serve as a weekend home.

Taxiway got a new tent this past weekend that was all mesh windows with no way to block the cold wind. When it got going it was pretty chilly, so he froze his ass off because there were no flaps to block the wind.

Yes, a good tent will have fabric zipper closures to seal off the mesh windows when desired. I have several tents that I use, depending upon the season and the application. My summer tent is all mesh, which allows a cool breeze to blow through on hot summer nights. But it's not a good winter tent. And likewise, a sealed tent can be great in winter, but leave you sweating all night in the summer.

Sweet my gf just ordered me one of these!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N58EXW

Look at the rain fly on that tent - it's mostly worthless. It leaves too much of the sides of the tent exposed to the rain, and where the rain hits those areas, it will soak through. This is a tent pet peeve of mine - many makers produce small rain flys to reduce weight and bulk, but then they don't do the job. I've spent nights huddled in a corner while rain blows in at an angle at the other side. I've spent nights where my air mattress ends up floating like a raft in a pool of water inside the tent. I like a good rain fly. That one isn't.

(I'll leave it up all season)
last years tent didn't survive
I think this is called "a clue"....

Yes, they're not designed for that. But if you're willing to spend that much money to have a ready-set home each weekend, it's worth it. It all depends upon one's personal finances. It's a lot of hassle putting up a tent every Saturday night, and taking it down every Sunday. If a $150 tent will last all year, that's only $3 per weekend, and may be worth it to throw it away after a year, to avoid that hassle of making camp and breaking camp each weekend. The Blue Sky Ranch has a patch of woods where dozens of people do this, with tents scattered everywhere in the woods, that serve as a weekend home.

Taxiway got a new tent this past weekend that was all mesh windows with no way to block the cold wind. When it got going it was pretty chilly, so he froze his ass off because there were no flaps to block the wind.

Yes, a good tent will have fabric zipper closures to seal off the mesh windows when desired. I have several tents that I use, depending upon the season and the application. My summer tent is all mesh, which allows a cool breeze to blow through on hot summer nights. But it's not a good winter tent. And likewise, a sealed tent can be great in winter, but leave you sweating all night in the summer.

Yes I will have to figure something out with the fly but I think it will be no problem with a tarp or two.

I definitely think it's worth pitching a tent and leaving it up for the season. It's way too much of a hassle to build it every time I go there (which is every weekend). My old one would have probably been fine but it snowed way before I expected it (and could take down the tent in which I was still sleeping in November) and that pretty much destroyed it.

Yes I will have to figure something out with the fly but I think it will be no problem with a tarp or two.

I definitely think it's worth pitching a tent and leaving it up for the season. It's way too much of a hassle to build it every time I go there (which is every weekend). My old one would have probably been fine but it snowed way before I expected it (and could take down the tent in which I was still sleeping in November) and that pretty much destroyed it.

Or you could pop one of these up over your tent to protect it.

We've done that on camping trips and it's worked well to keep both the heat of the sun and rain out of the tent. Tarp in a side or two and you have a nice little shelter!

http://www.gazeboshowcase.com/10-x-10-garden-party-gazebo-in-beige.htm
'Shell

That third one looks like the one this German guy I met in ZHills had. He comes over once or twice a year for long trips and sets that thing up (and leaves it with a local when he's not there). That sucker looked absolutely bombproof!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That third one looks like the one this German guy I met in ZHills had. He comes over once or twice a year for long trips and sets that thing up (and leaves it with a local when he's not there). That sucker looked absolutely bombproof!

Are you talking about Frank? He is an awesome guy I met him in Z-Hills when I was getting my A. If this is the guy I am thinking about he runs www.lookma.de
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Are you talking about Frank? He is an awesome guy I met him in Z-Hills when I was getting my A. If this is the guy I am thinking about he runs www.lookma.de

Yeah, I think it was Frank. I was there for a week and set up my wussy little Coleman 3-person tent near his "mobile home" and when a storm rolled in he hooked me up with a few proper tent stakes, though I still had to park my rental car so that it wouldn't fly away. Meanwhile, he's sitting over there and his tent isn't even shaking.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Kinda reminds me of what happened to my 6 man coleman... lol the wind blew in and the front of my tent was pushed into the rest of the tent. Then some other residents of the tens city helped me stake my tent down better.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I fold a blue tarp underneath the tent to protect the floor from being punctured by rocks and stickers. If rain is getting in around the fly, I pull the tarp out from underneath, and drape it over the top. That's a quick last-minute solution. Of course, you're getting wet while doing this, but it keeps you dry the remainder of the night.