figment

Dogs at the DZ

Hey all, I'm planning on doing a cross country road trip (FL to CA and back) in a couple months, and will be stopping at DZs along the way. I'll be bringing my dog, a 15 lb pooch who's sweet as pie and super chill... I've called ahead at two of the four spots i'm planning on jumping at, and they said that as long as I keep him in the camping area it'll be cool. I wanted to ask those of you who travel with your dogs or bring them to your DZ for some advice. Obviously I know to keep him secured and out of everyone's way, and to clean up after him, but what do you guys think are some things I ought to know? I want to be a responsible dog owner and not piss people off. Thanks guys for any input!

Sounds like you'll do the right things.
If he's a cool dog, leash him & let him meet the people.

A lot of skydivers love cool dogs.
Don't be surprised if we want to give him a treat or two! B|

I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I want to be a responsible dog owner and not piss people off. Thanks guys for any input!

Be aware that just because the DZ is cool with the dog, not everyone who frequents the place loves (or even likes) dogs. I for one don't appreciate even the cutest, most well-behaved dog licking my hand or making any kind of physical contact with me or my stuff. I'm not afraid of dogs, I don't hate them, I just have no use for them or their secretions.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

As a dog lover I would hope that people would be cool with a chill pup, but as a realist I know that lots of people just don't dig dogs- which is totally understandable. I don't want to force my dog on anyone or invade anyone's space, I just hope to find a happy medium so that we can do our thing and have fun along the way while letting dog-friendly jumpers do their thing and let those who aren't so fond of them do theirs :) I don't want to make drama. But I know Winston loves treats and people so I think he'll have a ball! I'm still pretty new to the sport, but it seems like most skydivers are really chill (regardless of their pet preferences :P) and I think I'm pretty respectful, so I hope people won't have cause for beef with Winston or me. I'm more worried about leaving him alone while I'm jumping etc. I'm a softy so I baby him lol

I dont think you will have any problems just make sure you clean up after yer pooch... I have stepping in doggiepoop and tracking it into the plane.... yes it happens.

Most jumpers are uber-dog-friendly.

I do know of an awesome DZO that keeps a small BB gun around for dogs acting up inside his hanger.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

Obviously I know to keep him secured and out of everyone's way, and to clean up after him, but what do you guys think are some things I ought to know? I want to be a responsible dog owner and not piss people off.

Yay for owners like you. I wish more people would clean up after their dogs. I love well behaved dogs, but absolutely cannot stand the hyper ones that yelp and jump around constantly. Have fun on your trip!! :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Since you're new to the sport, it's probably helpful for you to educate yourself, before your trip, about the range of issues and attitudes about dogs at the DZ. Here's a sample I pulled up with the Search function using keywords "(dogs + dz)" (you may have to scroll down the list a bit to get to the relevant threads:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=dogs+dz&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=post_time&mh=500

Lol i've stepped in it too, but not at a DZ... NOBODY appreciates that! I doubt I'd be making any new friends by having people track dog poo around. I've taken him on a few road trips, but never one for so long or while camping at a DZ so I want it to go smoothly. He's super friendly, and not a yapper so I think he'll be good :)
Andy: thanks for adding that link, i found a great thread on there from a while back and it had some awesome insights. I was planning on keeping him on a leash in a shady spot but I might get one of those enclosed play area things instead. I can appreciate that dogs won't be welcome by all, but in this instance, the little man's gotta come along. I want to make as little hassle for all as possible ;)

I want to be a responsible dog owner and not piss people off. Thanks guys for any input!

Be aware that just because the DZ is cool with the dog, not everyone who frequents the place loves (or even likes) dogs. I for one don't appreciate even the cutest, most well-behaved dog licking my hand or making any kind of physical contact with me or my stuff. I'm not afraid of dogs, I don't hate them, I just have no use for them or their secretions.

Wow. harsh.

If your profile is true. Do all the people on the plane over look your " secretions " ?

Your balls & ass stink just like the rest of us. [:/]
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

The play yard is a great idea, particularly for a little dog. They're not expensive, and they're portable. Get some sort of shade for it, too -- you can get a collapsible crate at the pet store, or just open an umbrella and tie it to the side of the yard.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are some DZs that do not allow jumpers to bring dogs, but I think that applies more toward the regular jumpers who show up every weekend and bring their dogs with them. It turns into a problem when you have several jumpers doing this every weekend, you end up with a pack of dogs, and a pile of dog shit.

I'm sure if you showed up with a small dog, and explained that you were on a raod trip, and looking to stop by and make a few jumps, they would make an exception for you (provided you have a leash or enclosure, and promised to handle the 'clean up').

Or....just keep it in a kennel unless you have it on a leash for your walks, etc.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

He's mostly maltese and yorkie but thankfully doesn't act like a yorkie! I can't stand yapping dogs either. It's funny b/c I love big dogs, but Winston kinda fell into my lap a few years ago and he's been great for me :)
I thought about that, and figured that if I let them know the deal they'd be lenient.

Nice pic. I assume your dog is about to enter the picture and eat that small rat-like animal you have pictured? :ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

:D LOL! I know right?! It's so funny because I grew up with a massive mutt who out weighed me till I was like 13 but here I am with the little dude. Although frou-frou dogs aren't my style, Winston is pretty chill and low maintenance, so I'm cool with him. We're a team, anyway. I'll probably get laughed off every DZ I hit, but c'est la vie

Most skydivers are open to having a dog around as long as your cleaning up after them and not letting them run all over the packing area (or around people's rigs) There was one time, a while ago, when someone threatened to kick my dog >:(.....which would have ended bad...I just avoided taking her around that area.

My older dog, Emma, tends to bark when she is tied up around people. So when I bring her to the DZ, I try to keep her away from the hustle and bustle until after the jumping is over. Suki, on the other hand, will get into/onto just about anything, and is still learning not jump on people. She is learning and very smart, but is still a pup. So, it will take some time.

F LORIDA!

are you going to get your A license before you go visiting all these DZ's? It will make your jumping much easier.

I was supposed to finish it this past weekend, but the winds were so bloody high that no students were allowed to jump; I only have 2 more to go till i have it, plus the packing class :( how depressing. I want to get off student status as soon as possible naturally, but I don't want to go too fast either. I don't want to end up in the incidents forums! But I will definitely have my A before I leave.

***My older dog, Emma

I love Emma. She's soooo sweet.:)
BTW if you come through Pensacola, FL. drop by Emerald Coast Skydiving Center (ECSC). We love dogs and your pup can meet my little fat pug Mister Mardi Gras. He loves having someone his size to play with.:)

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

are you going to get your A license before you go visiting all these DZ's? It will make your jumping much easier.

I was supposed to finish it this past weekend, but the winds were so bloody high that no students were allowed to jumpI only have 2 more to go till i have it, plus the packing class :( how depressing. I want to get off student status as soon as possible naturally, but I don't want to go too fast either. I don't want to end up in the incidents forums! But I will definitely have my A before I leave.

Perfect time to do a packing class!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message