wilcox

sigma/sigma micron differences

The military is now using our tandem systems with up to 1,000 lbs., while jumping out of jets at 30,000 feet, so these rigs are made to much high standards than our sport rigs. We have decided to build some of these tougher specs into our sport tandem rigs too. So, the Micro Sigma has a new harness with a main lift webb "pulley" setup that is stronger, makes adjustment easier, but still doesn't slip. (People are putting tandem mains, and even reserves, with no-stretch line into our systems, and this scares me...thus the tougher harness.) The Micro Sigma also has a way more secure main cover flap. There are also a few other subtle changes. All these will soon be built into our other tandem rigs too.

Anything can be done, but it will cost you. Some of these innovations are easier to retrofit than others. The main flap shouldn't be too hard, but the harness is a major re-work. Just don't jump no-stretch line canopies, and your current harness will be just fine.

Anything can be done, but it will cost you. Some of these innovations are easier to retrofit than others. The main flap shouldn't be too hard, but the harness is a major re-work. Just don't jump no-stretch line canopies, and your current harness will be just fine.

???
I might be a stupid dutch guy but what is a
"no-stretch line tandemcanopy"
(I usually jump BT80:))

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

???
I might be a stupid dutch guy but what is a
"no-stretch line tandemcanopy"

(I usually jump BT80:))

Spectra (micro line), Vectran, Kevlar, and HMA are "no-stretch" lines. They do not "absorb" opening shock the way Dacron does. This means that the same "hard" opening can hurt you a lot more. It's like doing a bungee jump with steel cable. The same force is applied...but a hell of a lot more shock is felt by the jumper. All the opening shock caused broken harnesses (two PDF tandem harnesses recently broke), injuries (a guy just broke both femurs), and fatalities (4 in the last two years that I know of) have all been on "no-stretch" line canopies, and could probably been prevented if Dacron line had been used. No stretch line is used because it is thinner, lighter, and has less drag than the same strength Dacron. While this is an "advantage" in a high speed swoop, it has no place in tandem. 85 year old grandmothers jump tandem. They, and many other tandem students, need the softest opening shock possible. This is why we only use Dacron line on our tandem products. Not to mention that our tandem equipment was NOT drop tested with no-stretch lined canopies.

I don't care if you have 1,000 jumps on a particular canopy with no-stretch lines with no problems. Ever canopy opens hard eventually. When that happens, I want some "bungee cord" between that canopy and the tandem passenger.

Bill,

Ok, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately most european manufacturers have a different view. Almost all are fitted with microlines and because I life in europe the DZowner buys european products (less expensive).

I will not tell you I never had a hard opening on a microline tandemcanopy, but overall the openings are nice soft.

Your point is clear, thanks for the info.
I really like the way you are answering our questions. Should be an example for other manufacturers.

If I could choose my own equipment, it would be a sigma rig and main, but hell no DZ is perfect

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig