skyflower_bloom

Kicking legs on exit (yes it's short!! ;)

Being able to have a stable exit is paramount for every skydiver. Better to practice at 14000 feet, so when you have an emergency bailout at 1800 you can get out of the plane and deploy safely. I would practice this exit until you can do it with out thinking.

You got a 182 that will get to 14k??

:S

14000 or 10000, doesn't matter, just practice at altitude.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

it builds confidence knowing that if shit gets real when you are low, you are competent and calm enough to bail out. don't stress about your h n' p. if you can, on your next jump, practice you're h n' p exit. 14,000 10,000 and 2,000, same exit. just relax and go with it.

blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Anyone care to post a summary?

i did it silly!!

I tried to reply to a lot of people here. Just scroll to find my reply to you personally (either by your msg quoted, or your username bolded) if you don't wanna read it the whole damn thing, or just don't read it at all lol and for what it is worth, thanks for contributing if you did indeed contribute :)

Basically exits have a few weak points for me right now, and I am working on it, will be relaxing more and being more patient once i am back up in the air.

and as stated by a PP- 1) relax 2) takes time (and 3) thanks :)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Holy crap! Your reply (including embeded quotes) is 2200 words long! If double spaced and typed on paper that is nearly 8 pages!

Funny that masturbation was mentioned earlier. Your writing is like masturbation... it is all about making you feel good, rather than connecting with someone else.

Here is a relevant quote:

I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make it short (Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte)~Blaise Pascal, Lettres Provinciales (1656-1657), no. 16.

I dare you to impose a 100 word budget on yourself.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

it is all about making you feel good, rather than connecting with someone else.

Uhhh that seems a bit of a PA :S but I will let it slide.. I actually feel that when someone takes the time to respond to me, or may genuinely enjoy helping analyze a newer jumper's situation, they deserve that I take the time to reply specifically and personally when possible.

Here is a relevant quote:

I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make it short (Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte)~Blaise Pascal, Lettres Provinciales (1656-1657), no. 16.

LOL i like that quote. and yes, it does take me more time to write a short post.

I dare you to impose a 100 word budget on yourself.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dare accepted. what's my prize??
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I had a lot of problems kicking on my exits when I started. I would kick, do a back flip, and then be stable.

I think the biggest thing that helped me was making a conscious effort to keep my legs out and look up at the plane as I fell away. One thing one of my instructors told me was that if I felt like I was about to flip over, do everything I could to avoid it. Arch harder, keep those legs out, look up at the plane.

The next floater exit I did after I heard that I felt like I was about to flip over. I arched some more, extended my legs, and to my surprise stayed stable all the way down the hill!

Hopefully that helps. It will take a little time but you will get it.
This shit, right here, is OK

would tunnel time help at all with this? I did like 10 minutes in the tunnel and was kicking my legs a little for the first few minutes. but with nothing else to worry about but flying it was easy to focus and fix it. just a thought......
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

I kicked like a madman when I was on 5 & 10 second delays on S/L progression. I had absolutely zero awareness of it while I was doing it - student sensory overload, I guess. Long story short, I did a couple of 5 or 10 sec jumps where, instead of looking out in front of me, I tried concentrating on doing nothing but looking up at the plane from right off the step all the way until pull time. That fixed it for me.

Back in 1995 I was a SL I at my home dz.I had a student that would tense up, kick his legs, swim and do pretty much everything you can imagine on exit from a student that was completely overwhelmed.

After 2such jumps, (he did great after 3 or 4 seconds) he made me a deal'"Give me the first 5 seconds at exit to work out the fear, and I will do whatever you want for the rest of the skydive".

Well, he was altitude aware, rock solid stable at pull time, had GREAT canopy control, so I agreed.

He would spaz ou for a few seconds on exit, and give me text book dive flows the rest of the jump.

Plus I noticed if he made a second jump the same day, he only tensed up for 2 seconds the next jump, and was relaxed even sooner the next jump.

Jeff( the student in question) is now an AFF I, SL I/E, S&TA, and dz manager.

If youarde tense the first couple seconds after exit, but stable the rest of the jump, hopefully you have Instructors that recognize this, and grade you as such.
It will go away, I promise.
If you want, contact Jeff Colley at Skydive Palatka and tell him I told you to talk to him, maybe he can shed a little insight on you "problem"

Ralph Nichols