markovwgti

Is it harder to Diagnose a Human Or Animal

Like the topic says...me and my gf are having an argument about which is harder to do...if a dog walks into a vet and a human does...the human can say...this hurts or this doesn't feel right...the dog cannot do that...

I am right....Right?

She says its harder to diagnose humans!

fucking animal is harder to diagnose, i never thought this would be a post on dz.com, but im not suprised it is =D. next time you have an animal point to where he is hurting, tell you what kind of pain it is, and ask you for specific medicine for it, let me know, i want rights to that animal.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

depends on the human and depends on the disease.

Some humans just add confusion and distractors: "I read on the internet about West Nile virus." "It hurts here and here and here and here and here and here and here and ......" "I don't have a thermometer at home, but I'm pretty sure that I've had fevers of 104."

Animals don't tend to lie as much or try to go for secondary gain.

If you could trust what the humans told you, then you're right, they are easier. But... as house tells us, all patients lie.

Like the topic says...me and my gf are having an argument about which is harder to do...if a dog walks into a vet and a human does...the human can say...this hurts or this doesn't feel right...the dog cannot do that...

I am right....Right?

She says its harder to diagnose humans!

well...it depends. I don't have much experience in vet medicine but i do see people in the er......i would say it is easier to dx humans although you may hear several different versions of the stated complaint and then there is always the "oh, why i am here i have had this for 5 years and that for 2 years and i was thinking maybe this should be checked out too - kind of like bringing out the grocery list. :S:S:S

I always tell people...I am here to manage any acute problem that you have..if you have some chronic problems with an exacerbation that is one thing....but if it is a chronic problem they need to see their doc.....

i did have one gal tell me once that she had chest pain.... i was very worried, got an ekg, ordered the labs, ordered the chest xray...doc came in and saw her --- said she had the chestpain for the last 20 years after a voodoo curse was placed on her --- true story--ask doc.;)

eta: and yes i felt like a total dumbshit for getting so worried but even turkeys get sick on occasion.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

all patients lie.

Truth.

Humans are much harder. Between sorting out the real from the fake, secondary gain, etc....you waste half your time.
The really sick ones that actually need us for life or death cannot tell us what is going on.

Finally, it matters more if a human lives or dies. Ask my lawyer.

I'd say roughly the same. Signs are great tools. Symptokms are explained by humans. Often, it is the symptoms that lead humans to call the vet. "I noticed this cow isn't producing much milk."

A dog isn't gonna say, "I'm feeling sharp pain in my left lower quadrant. I think it's a gallbladder." A human will. Both present their own problems.

I wonder - do vets ever have to deal with a GOMER?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

She felt much better after I exorcised her though;):P

Just what kind of exercise did you do on her?:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Animals can't tell you what hurts and often just deal with pain and discomfort without really showing any signs.

People CAN tell a doctor what hurts, but we are not always honest with our doctors. We don't tell them how much alcohol we drink, or if take drugs- legal or otherwise. We don't tell them we smoke. We don't tell them when we binge on pizza and birthday cake, or that we never eat veggies. We tell them we eat right, take vitamins and exercise regularly even when we don't. We don't want them passing judgment on our lifestyles and therefore, we don't give them all the information they need to make an accurate diagnosis.

Two factors come into play when diagnosing an aliment, the skill of the diagnostician and the budget you are allowed to run diagnostic tests. The biggest difficulty I have is being able to run the tests necessary to make a definitive diagnosis as opposed to a symptomatic diagnosis. All I can say though, is that it is much easier to work with animals than people:)

Animals can't tell you what hurts and often just deal with pain and discomfort without really showing any signs.

People CAN tell a doctor what hurts, but we are not always honest with our doctors. We don't tell them how much alcohol we drink, or if take drugs- legal or otherwise. We don't tell them we smoke. We don't tell them when we binge on pizza and birthday cake, or that we never eat veggies. We tell them we eat right, take vitamins and exercise regularly even when we don't. We don't want them passing judgment on our lifestyles and therefore, we don't give them all the information they need to make an accurate diagnosis.

I think for the most part you are right....people aren't always honest.....but you would be surprised at the number of people who are honest about their drug abuse in the er....most are pretty honest about telling you that they muscled their heroin and now they have a huge nasty abcess....not all but most :)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!