skittles_of_SDC

Have you jumped for sustained periods of time...

More than that, I think of the family and friends that would feel obligated to help raise funds to cover expenses. I simply don't want them to pay for decisions I made to skydive. I won't jump without insurance.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

When I busted my ass I couldn't lie about how it happened, after the paramedics picked my dumb ass up off the landing area.

Luckily my employer's policy doesn't have a 'skydiver clause' for the medical insurance or short term disability. Long-term disability and life insurance aren't covered if anything happens to me involving any type of aviation, unless it's directly related to my job.
I got nuthin

For those who have injured themselves while they DID have insurance:

Did your ins. company know how you got hurt?

Yes.

Or do they think it happened "falling off a ladder" or "tripped in the yard" or something like that?

Insurance companies vary in what they cover. Validating that yours covers parachuting before you get hurt is a _fine_ idea.

I know at least one person who found himself in almost that exact same situation. He didn't find out until he was lying in his very expensive hospital bed that the insurance policy he thought he was covered under had a "dangerous sports" exclusion.:S

Just another example of how our sport works. This is clearly an issue that needs to be addressed. I favor a national ins. program. Till we get that, we're on our own. Why not get a major injury coverage group rate thru USPA? Perhaps the new "leadership" will look into doing something. It wouldn't have to cover teeth cleaning or visits for a cold, just keep one out of bankruptcy in the event of a mishap. Seems the only focus has been to find a new ways to get funding for a skydive museum and not find a way to sustain our sport and provide some basics so you could make a living in it. Another example of how the biggest threat to our future is not others, but ourselves.

A new law goes into effect tomorrow in IL that states uninsured persons only have pay 25% of their annual income per year toward medical bills. So at least you wont' go completely bankrupt...just decide if you can afford to put 25% of your income toward medical bills.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Military. I dont have to worry about healthcare.......or food........or housing.........or clothing.........or a job.B|

You lucky son of a bitch!....
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

A new law goes into effect tomorrow in IL that states uninsured persons only have pay 25% of their annual income per year toward medical bills. So at least you wont' go completely bankrupt...just decide if you can afford to put 25% of your income toward medical bills.

considering my annual income is $0 I think I could swing 25%. :D

Never hurts to find out. Best thing is to do a bit of research, see a recruiter (mind you with your BS detector in full operation) and see what it takes. Ive seen quite a few folks in the AF that would make you wonder how they ever got in. All in all though, not a bad option. Think of it this way you have a steady job, you dont have to worry about health insurance, they feed you 4 times a day, dont have to worry about a place to stay, 2.5 PAID vacation days a month (yes thats 30 days a year), and while you're in you will have a chance to jump at DZ's that you may have never been able to visit (at least cheaply) on your own.
Muff #5048

I jumped for a year without health insurance and always jokingly said "if i break myself, I will never jump again"
Not because of the injury, but the bills later would not allow me to do so
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Unless you have pre-existing conditions, you can get medical insurance with a high deductible for not a crazy amount of money. Mine doesn't cover pregnancy, and I have a $1500 deductible, but I pay just a hair over a hundred dollars a month. Its cheaper for younger people and has no skydiving exclusions.

I just found it by googling for insurance on the internet.. I was ok for the high deductible because I was going for catastrophic coverage - not doctors visits etc.

My understanding with the high deductable policies is that there is normally a maximum out of pocket expense- they cover 80 to 100% after you meet that. Next time I am out of work, instead of trying to keep Conbra coverage until I am employed again (major ripoff last time........>:(), I am going with one of those.

Insurance companies vary in what they cover. Validating that yours covers parachuting before you get hurt is a _fine_ idea.

I second that...

I voted 'yes' because I unintentionally spent a week jumping without insurance.
My insurance company has licenced out the travelling insurance to another insurance company.
Fine with me.
So I do my homework and check that jumping injuries are covered, even if the 'aircraft' itself is not.

The next year I almost forget to take out travelling insurance but the evening before I leave I remember to take out a policy.
Great! Happy jumping holidays!
When i return i find that the insurance company has licenced out the travelling insurance to -another- company...which doesn't cover skydiving - even under their special 'sports clausule'. :o
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom