floridadiver81

So im contemplating the army...(semi long)

So work is slowing down to the point of barely making 30 hours a week. I finally got my drivers license reinstated so im going to reapply at the company i did a week before all the licensing issues started and im also applying at a company called Worldwide Diesel(self explanatory). If that does not work out i am giving serious thought to going with teh blue to green program and going int he army. One of the primary reasons i got out of the navy is they denied me the right to go to war. I volunteered for the "IA" program. If you dont know what IA is google it. It was really my olny shot at making E5 before i hit the navy high year tenure. I was so fed up with the military at that point i just said screw it and got out.

I did not fear civilian life as i had a job within a month of getting out. Now with work getting slow im starting to miss the military lifestyle with always something to do.

Sooooooo.....

I stopped at the comples's office beause i had to make copies for my license and insurance to take with the applications being that they are both travel jobs. I start talking to Jan...one of the leasing consultants. She is a national guard member and she informed me that they army is in need to security people(MP'S). One of the things i tried doing in the navy was crossrating to a MA. I was short down because the rate was overmanned at the time. This may be my chance to get what i originally wanted and if i join the army i will qualify for some bonuses being that i served previously.

So if the other 2 jobs dont come to fruition then its off to the army i go! B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Whatever you do, just make sure you get it in writing. The Army will guarantee a job/MOS, but just because you may become an MP doesn't mean you'll be pulling security. You could end up driving a Malibu on some post writing tickets.

Also, you aren't guaranteed to make E5 in the Army either. Screw up on a board, piss off the wrong guy...yada yada...

If I were in your shoes, I would look at other jobs besides MP, I would also use the recruiting office/MEPS to get a clearance of some type (Secret or Top Secret - both useful in the military, and out of the military), take the DLAB and look at MI type jobs.

Also, if you want to get in the fight there's always 11B - Infantry. Cut your teeth, get dirty, put in a packet to join Special Forces down the road.

Honestly, last thing I'd want to be in the Army is an MP...but hey, mileage varies...;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Dude...i know all about getting shit in writing. Remember..i spent 7 years in tha navy. I now everything to look for and what to watch out for. If i dont know..my brother(bigdad510 on here) spent 9 years in the 82nd airborne. If im unsure of anything i can call him to get verification. One thing i have definitely learned from my time in the military is nothing is guarenteed unless it is in writing.

I will explore my other options as well..not just the MP route. Im in no hurry to join right this very second..and im smart enough to not let a recruiter push me into anything i do not want to do. That happened when i joined the navy. Im a person that learns from my mistakes..and yes i know...navy..never again volunteer yourself..i dont need to hear it again. I will make sure i know what i am getting myself into before i sign any documents. Thanks for the input though. Any info is greatly appreciated!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

I may be crazy...but im not stupid.

You could always try the CG !! I actually looked into that after I got out of the suck and I was told the CG will not take marines the spend over 6 years in the corpse, they consider them untrainable! (Dont know if its actually true but thats what the recruiter told me, maybe he just didnt want to deal with prior service)
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Its ironic you at that. I'm workunh on a coast guard ship right now. I'm on my quasi lunch break. Ill ask them and see what they say.

Update though. Worlwide deisel is not hiring right now...so I go to Besco and talk to the forman. Turns out he never saw my application. After talking with him for about 30 minutes he seemed like we wanted to bring me onboard. He asked for my phone number and said if he couldn't find my application that I would have to come in and fill another one out. No big deal to me. For what they pay its worth the extra trip! So I'm waiting on a call right now.

Although a 10,000 enlistment bonus(more depending on what mos I do) does sound very tempting. That would be jump gear, motorcycle, and ill be able to clear the negative stuff on my credit report!

We shall see...

So if the other 2 jobs dont come to fruition then its off to the army i go! B|

Really. You are just funnin' us right? The ARMY? Grow a pair and get yor butt in the Marine Corp!! ;)

marines = my ass rides in navy equipment sir!

ive been in the army for almost 6 years now. dunno if id be able to go to a civy job without getting fired really quick haha
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Don't forget marine= muscles are required intelligence not essential. Oh yeah and USMC= uncle sams misguided children.

Don't forget marine= muscles are required intelligence not essential. Oh yeah and USMC= uncle sams misguided children.

I texted that saying to both of my sons ( both are active Marines) and did not get a...politically correct... response. From either one. Imagine that.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I texted that saying to both of my sons ( both are active Marines) and did not get a...politically correct... response. From either one. Imagine that.

haha go figure B|

this page is great for acronyms
miljokes.com/military-acronyms.html

MARINES: Many Americans Running Into Never Ending Shit

NAVY: Need Any Vaseline Yet?

USARMY: Used, Screwed, And Released My Ass, Yep

then there is the old saying that the navy invented sex....and then it was the army that introduced it to women
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

i hate to sound harsh, but if you couldn't make e-5 in 10 years in the navy, maybe the military isn't for you. (yes i know you were only in for 7, but you said you couldn't make it). you also said you were fed up with the military. i spent 6 year enlisted in the navy, so i know a little about it. lemme tell you a little about operation desert shield. one of our ac units went out while we were in the gulf and the ship got up to 80 degrees. it was hell i tell you. talk to some army guys who have been over there and see what they had to put up with.

seriously, if you want to go back in to the military as enlisted and not go back on a ship, join the marines. i've never met a marine who wasn't extremely pround to be a marine for the rest of his life.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Have you considered a civilian government job?

I have seen many various job openings for the Army and Airforce among other agencies on http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/

Very good pay and a seemingly fair selection process...I'am sure you're aware that you'll get first dibs because of your armed services.

I saw some cool security jobs too if you can get a clearance.

neways, good luck!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

If you knew the whole stori you would understand why I couldn't make E5 in 7 years. Long story short I had a racist master chief at my second command. I say racist because I wa sent to captains mast for being late to work 2 times in a span of 8 months. There was a black person of the asmer rank as myself which was E4 that was late to work 3-4 times A WEEK that he never messed with. I was stationed in Norfolk Va at the time. I was sent to mast exactly 7 days before I transferred to jacksonville FL. They busted be from E4 to E3 and that's it. They didn't take money or give me restriction time. So I had to wait 9 months to take the E4 test again...then wait another 6 months to get paid for it...then another year to even take test test for E5. At this point I only had 2 chances to take the E5 test before I hit my high year tenure. Anyone that has been in or is still in knows that it is damn near impossible to make E5 in the CS rate taking the test twice. The average is 5 to 6 times and that with EP evals, maxed out award points and maxed out pna(passed but not advanced) points. Being that I just made E4 there was no way I could have even come close to the final multiple even if I aced the test(my average test scores were in the low and mid 70's with the highest being 80) and with EP evals which I had.

So ya see that master chief screwed up my career. He knew what he was doing. He knew advancement was getting more difficult with every passing test.

That's why I couldn't make E5 before I got out. I have no problem following orders and getting the job done with high standards. But with bad leadership it doesn't matter how good you are. If they don't like you you're screwed no matter what you do.

Yup, the CS rate is still closed. You see a lot of old second class and third class CS's.

In my experience though, if someone took you up for being late, he's been waiting for you to make a mistake for a while and finally got you.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

haha go figure B|

this page is great for acronyms
miljokes.com/military-acronyms.html

MARINES: Many Americans Running Into Never Ending Shit

NAVY: Need Any Vaseline Yet?

USARMY: Used, Screwed, And Released My Ass, Yep

then there is the old saying that the navy invented sex....and then it was the army that introduced it to women

MRE: Meals Rejected by Ethiopians!
MRE: Meals Rejected by the Enemy!

:D:D:D:D
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I was fine once I left the command in Virginia. My Florida CO(which my whole chain of command supported) told me if he had the authority to CAP me he would have but in the navy a shore commanding officer does not have the option of capping someone to the next rank...only seagoing CO's have that authority.

I have always been a great sailor and very good at my job. Out of the 7 years I spent in I only did general mess a total of maybe 4 months. Otherwise I was either chief's mess, wardroom, flag mess, or bakery due to my cake decorating ability. I knew my job, all aspects, very well.

Bottom line is it only takes one person with the wrong attitude to screw up someones career.