Canuck

long risers manufacturer?

I realize I could contact each harness/container manufacturer, but this will be easier.

For those of you who have bought after-market risers in the 26 inch variety, where did you get them and how much did they cost?

I know I can get them from Sunpath, but with stainless I think they will be pushing a couple hundred bucks, which seems pretty steep.

Canuck

What are you, an orangutan?

But seriously - canopies are designed to be attached to 18 to 22” risers. Risers 26” long might change the flying characteristics of the canopy, not to mention, you increase the risk of stalling and collapsing the canopy when flaring.

Sorry for not answering your question.

Phil

That is the intent of very-long risers. People get them when they want to increase the recovery arc of their canopies. "Regular" jumpers would have no reason to purchase such risers, but swoopers sometimes benefit from longer risers.

To answer the question though, Cazer Paraloft will make them as long as you like.

What are you, an orangutan?

But seriously - canopies are designed to be attached to 18 to 22” risers. Risers 26” long might change the flying characteristics of the canopy, not to mention, you increase the risk of stalling and collapsing the canopy when flaring.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

19" risers only came into fashion in the mid-1990s, when wing-loadings more than one pound per square foot became fashionable and sliders got loud enough that jumpers started collapsing their sliders on a regular basis.
With 19" risers, all but the shortest jumpers could grab their sliders.

Phil

II get why longer risers will lengthen the recovery arc and that regular jumper may not need this. But when it comes to jumpers using cross braced canopy where the jumpers intention is more than likely get the best swoop, aren't the canopy’s designed with the riser length in mind. I.e. if the canopy performed better with a longer recovery arc "than it’s current one" it would be manufactured with longer lines? Obviously a jumper can adjust the recover arc length by changing the riser but this effect is due to moving the suspended weight further away from the canopy. The same can be done by lengthening the lines, which from what I understand would also have the effect of allowing the canopy to spread out more. This is something jumpers try to maximize by loosening their chest straps. So I suppose my question is does lengthening the riser just improve the swoop distance for a jumper who’s technique better suits the new flight characterises over the original? “This is meant as a shot at the technique of jumpers with longer risers”.

Thanks

That is the intent of very-long risers. People get them when they want to increase the recovery arc of their canopies. "Regular" jumpers would have no reason to purchase such risers, but swoopers sometimes benefit from longer risers.

To answer the question though, Cazer Paraloft will make them as long as you like.

Chuck: I have 23" now and it is a bit of a stretch. How do you reach the slider with your 26" risers. My guess is it blows past the softlinks on the front???

rm

......... you increase the risk of stalling and collapsing the canopy when flaring.

Actually quite the opposite with today's canopies and 26 -28 inch risers.

We also make risers to the users specifications.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Chuck: I have 23" now and it is a bit of a stretch. How do you reach the slider with your 26" risers. My guess is it blows past the softlinks on the front???

rm

I don't jump 26" risers either. Mine are only 22 right now; I used to jump 18's. I considered going to 24's (Danny Koon is smaller than me and he jumps 24's), but I didn't want to reach that high to get to my slider.

In reply to the guy right above you: yes, the factory configures linesets to go with a specific length riser in order to get a "standard" of performance. "Standard" works for the great majority of skydivers, but it's not what a small group of people interested in building up the greatest amount of speed are looking for. Thinner linesets (HMA), longer risers, and various and sundry other little tricks are what gives the top one or two percentile that little edge in competition.

Chuck

Thinner linesets (HMA), longer risers, and various and sundry other little tricks are what gives the top one or two percentile that little edge in competition.

Well said Chuck. There are only a very small group of canopy pilots that are able to fly a canopy at a level where these changes will make a difference. And it took them thousands of jumps to get to that point.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

While I agree that the differences produced by an HMA lineset, folding over risers, or stitching back the quarter inch of webbing on attachment points is only going to be noticed by those at the very top of their game, adding 4+ inches of length to the risers I believe will produce quite a noticable difference.

In a different thread, several people commented, including Chuck, that longer risers made their canopies fly "completely differently."

Canuck

"Standard" works for the great majority of skydivers, but it's not what a small group of people interested in building up the greatest amount of speed are looking for. Thinner linesets (HMA), longer risers, and various and sundry other little tricks are what gives the top one or two percentile that little edge in competition.

Chuck

But surely if the top competitors i.e. the ones on factory team, want a longer recovery arch they would ask the manufactures to lenghten the line and not just stick on longer riser?

They do both. PD has a competition lineset not available to the public. Packing beside Jay, his lines are noticably longer than are mine (granted he was jumping a 103 compared to my 96).

Lengthening the risers in addition to increasing the recovery arc also gives you more control range that simply adding line length does not.

Canuck

They do both. PD has a competition lineset not available to the public. Packing beside Jay, his lines are noticably longer than are mine (granted he was jumping a 103 compared to my 96).

Lengthening the risers in addition to increasing the recovery arc also gives you more control range that simply adding line length does not.

Canuck

The competition line set and RDS will be available in November, yes, the same canopy the Factory Team and Team Fasttrax jump. The only thing is the line set only has about a 100 jump life. It makes a big difference but it's pretty expensive.

The thicker HMA (500) will also be available, has a longer life and is still a lot thinner than Vectran.

Later,
Isaiah

My risers are very long, maybe 32", but then again I am 6'9 with a 38" sleeve length. I took the risers that came with my rig (they had 500 jumps+ on them at the time), and picked the stiching off (the stiching that holds the folded over section that creates the line attachement point) . I then cut a piece of type 17 webbing that extended the riser to the desired length and overlapped the original by 4". Using a Brother home machine I ran 3 rows of a tight zig-zag stich over the overlapped part. Works great, costs little, but takes a little time.

The first pair I did this with I made them too long and had to re-do them. I have 2 pair like this and each set of risers has well over 1000 jumps on them. If I had to do it again I wouldn't pick the stitches, I would cut them off and just attach a new piece of webbing, and not overlap on both sides.

YMMV, but its worked well for me.

Cya.