millertimeunc

For the pilots out there...

I just finished my first week on the flight line here at Columbus Air Force Base. There's much to learn and I've still got a long way to go, but I'm having a stone cold blast learning how to fly, and the T-6 is an absolute beast! How can you not like 1100 shaft horsepower? Anyway, just thought I'd share. B|

Cheers,

-Matt
The best things in life are dangerous.

Update:

It's an old thread, I know, but I'm excited and wanted to update for anyone who cares to read. I finished my last ride in T-6's on February 6th. We had our red carpet day (family gets to come see the flight line, our flight room, and poke around on the planes) on February 11th, and that same evening we had track select at the O-club. Track select is where we find out what we fly next, and thus what we will potentially get assigned to in the Air Force. I selected T-1's, which is basically a Beechcraft 400, which will set me up for airlift/air refueling. I'm looking at flying C-17's or possibly the AC-130.

It blows my mind what the military can teach you in 100 short hours in an aircraft. 100 hours is nothing in aviation, but we went from simple stalls, to simple aerobatics, to advanced aerobatics, to formation/tactical formation and instruments. It's a cool road ahead, and I can't wait!

BTW, PM me about our class patch if you want to hear a funny anecdote. ;)

Matt,

Should have joined the Guard!:P

Good choice choosing the T-1. Especially if you have any aspirations of flying after active duty.

The former DO of my guard squadron is the Guard Advisor at Randolph. From what he's told me, now is a horrible time for anyone on AD that want to fly fighters. UAV's are way undermanned. Heavy's aren't safe either, but at least you could get enought flight time after one tour to use it in the civilian world.

Enjoy everyday of UPT. You will miss these days.

Good luck with T-1's

-Kid (Sheppard 02-01)

"I promise, I will never die."

Enjoy every day of getting verbally kicked in the junk every day?!? :P Kidding, our instructors don't do that (anymore), but there is a lot of stuff to learn. Occasionally, though, you have these moments where you realize how cool your job is. For me, it's usually after I'm done with my part of the sortie, I've swapped seats with the other student, and I'm sitting in the back eating a roast beef sandwich and washing it down with a root beer while my classmate is shooting single engine approaches. Fuck yeah, getting paid to fly, this is the life!

Any photos ? My uncle was a flight instructor in the old T-6's ; Have had a warm spot in my heart for them.(I still want to jump one though)

Here's a couple of REAL T-6's from "back in the day" at Bartow Air Base, Florida. My dad worked there in the 50's for a civilian contractor.:)

Yes, to compensate for a lack of real pilots at the controls who can't seem to land the jet gently to save their lives. I had an instructor from your side in T-6's, and he bitched at me every time I greased a landing on.

Dude, in all honesty, I know it's just comparing apples to oranges. You need 50', I need 4K'. The landings will differ. :P

He was probably just pissed he got stuck flying props again. We had some Columbus instructors come down and take some rides and they were in disbelief how hard we slam the T-45 into the deck.

You also have the advantage of being able to eat a roast beef sandwich and drink a root beer while you fly.

Enjoy every day of getting verbally kicked in the junk every day?!? :P Kidding, our instructors don't do that (anymore), but there is a lot of stuff to learn. Occasionally, though, you have these moments where you realize how cool your job is. For me, it's usually after I'm done with my part of the sortie, I've swapped seats with the other student, and I'm sitting in the back eating a roast beef sandwich and washing it down with a root beer while my classmate is shooting single engine approaches. Fuck yeah, getting paid to fly, this is the life!

Like I said, enjoy every minute there and hold on to your excitement and motivation. THE SUCK will begin before you know it Lt. If you can stay positive, you'll be able to deal with the military BS after your training is done. Your flying WILL become secondary to admin queep.

"I promise, I will never die."