SarahC07

How do you recognize love?

Absolutely. Love is not a feeling, it is an action. Being truly willing to put aside yourself, your wants, your goals, everything for another is love. Platonic, familial, sexual, it all comes down to selfless sacrifice. Love is at its most potent when you have 2 people both willing to sacrifice to fill the others needs. That is why you are most vulnerable when you love someone. They have the capability of utterly destroying you, or uplifting you. The emotions you feel are a part of love, but not love. I hope this helps.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

The problem with love is that more and more people are beginning to apply more and more conditions to love.

Maybe it is to do with the world we live in today bombarding us with messages that we can have just about anything we want and we should not settle for anything less. I dunno.

Nowadays, when someone says "I love you", more often than not this means “I feel good about you, together we can do great things and I will suppress all negativity toward you. But, only as long as you are nice to me, don’t do things that I do not approve of and you allow me to start to control your behaviour to how I think it should be”

It is quite rare to find the sort of love that could be termed as unconditional. That no matter what you do (within reason) you will not be loved less or more.

How do you know if you love someone? The answer may lie in how you would feel if “your love” broke one of your conditions. But it is more likely to be answered by seeing if you have any conditions at all in loving them.

BP
:)

In the words of that great American philosopher - Dolly Parton ...

Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside
Your touch is soft and gentle
Your kiss is warm and tender
Whenever I am with you I think of butterflies

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Love.

An intimate caring for the being that you cherish - knowing the faults and still respecting the individual. A feeling of pride and happiness at seeing them smile. A sensation of contentment by just touching or even being near the other.

Love can be seen as a neurochemical response. A chemical state in the mind that you crave. A drug. An addiction.

Love can be a release. An understanding of a BIGGER picture than you ever imagined.

Love can be a loss. An end of the childhood dreams of fairytale fantasies... but not wanting to shift back to being that naive.... an understanding that with the knowledge of love comes some sacrifice - a willing pain.

Love can't be described. Those smarter and more eloquent than I have tried.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:
"Then must you strive to be worthy of her love. Be brave and pure, fearless to the strong and humble to the weak; and so, whether this love prosper or no, you will have fitted yourself to be honored by a maiden's love, which is, in sooth, the highest guerdon which a true knight can hope for."

Shakespeare:
O, how this spring of love resembleth
The uncertain glory of an April day,
Which now shows all the beauty of the sun,
And by an by a cloud takes all away!

Charles Dickens:
If I may so express it, I was steeped in Dora. I was not merely over head and ears in love with her, but I was saturated through and through. Enough love might have been wrung out of me, metaphorically speaking, to drown anybody in; and yet there would have remained enough within me, and all over me, to pervade my entire existence.

Pat Benatar:
Love is a Battlefield

*sigh*

It depends on how far you are willing to go or how far you are willing to risk to really RECOGNIZE that it is love. Sure, you can love someone. Sure you can say "I love you" and/or get distant if they say they don't feel it yet...but here's the deal. The saying "If you love someone let them go and if they return they were always yours..." I won't finish. Anyway, yeah. I honestly believe you won't KNOW you love someone until something happens and you are now empty b/c of their lack of presence in your life. Now I'm not 100% relying on the "You don't know what you've got until you don't have it anymore" BS, but in a sense I am. Whether it be by unconscious sabotage, deliberate sabotage, or something just...happens. When the other end of your love is actually not on their end anymore...reevaluate what you did and do now currently believe. How do you feel? 10x worse, 100x better, whatever it may be. Most likely, if you feel worse, then yeah, you may just recognize, or better yet, come to the realization that you really were in love, and not just infatuated by the first set of pretty batting eyes that gave you a chance. If you feel better, then who the fuck cares, you are relieved of your duties and don't have anything holding you back from hooking up w/ that next hottie that "Gave you that wink". W/e the case, this is my definition of recognition of the need of a counterpart in your life...but it isn't what's going to answer your question. What's going to answer your questions is how YOU feel about YOUR situation!!!

Nelson
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."
-- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

That was read at my wedding.

Didn't work. :P
Always be kinder than you feel.

How do YOU recognize love? I don't want to hear about lust... I know what that is.

Let's talk about love.

The way Twardo looks at Divot when they are across from each other and Rallfers has his pillow. You just know.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The way Twardo looks at Divot when they are across from each other and Rallfers has his pillow.

And how many times have you watched the video now?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The way Twardo looks at Divot when they are across from each other and Rallfers has his pillow.

And how many times have you watched the video now?

Wendy W.

Not that there is anything WRONG with that . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Many other less painful ways, but if you break up with someone, lose touch with them, and wish you could go back and change your decision 8 years later... yeah, that could be love.

On less traumatic notes though, love is the hardest of all feelings to recognize, and yet the simplest in nature. Love is unwavering, undying affection for someone that makes you weak in the knees everytime you actually take time to think about it. Recognizing it usually hits you like a ton of bricks, but you don't know you caught on until the bricks have buried you. As I said, I was one of those unlucky people who realized I loved a girl right after I broke up with her, and we haven't spoken in years. That's sort of unusual, so look for that moment when you realize that nobody in your life has ever made you more satisfied with who you are, what you're doing, and what the future holds in store.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Best way to know your in love by far:

If when you have your personal time, ya know "that" time, the only person you fantasize about is the other person. If your mind still drifts to other times or other people your probably not "IN" love.
Not to say you dont love the other person just the "in love" part.
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"