dorkboy

Am I Being A Dick?

So me and the girlfriend go out grab a bite to eat and have a couple of drinks. We decide to stop off and get a couple of movies on the way home.

She says she wants to get "Doubt". I come to find this is a meryl streep movie that was nominated for 5 academy awards. She plays a nun in the movie trying to prove a priest is taking indecent liberties with a boy.

I tell her no fucking way am I watching a meryl streep movie in which she plays a nun and was nominated for 5 academy awards. As far as I am concerned that is a fucking recipe for a disaster of a movie.

Well, she rents it anyways. We get home, I tell her no fucking way am I watching it. She storms off into the guest room, locked the door and went to bed.

So, am I being a dick or should I have watched the stupid movie?

Seems like something trivial to start a fight over. Plus it sounds like you lost any chance of getting laid tonight. I don't know if you're being a dick, but it kinda sounds like you're being a dorkboy:P

I got nuthin

Learn to pick and choose your battles. A movie is no big deal. If you get this defensive about something as minor as which movie to watch that's not a good sign.

There's nothing wrong with stating that you don't think the movie sounds interesting. But if she really wants to watch it then humor her. Plus this way if there's ever a movie you want to watch that she doesn't want to she owes you one.

So me and the girlfriend go out grab a bite to eat and have a couple of drinks. We decide to stop off and get a couple of movies on the way home.

She says she wants to get "Doubt". I come to find this is a meryl streep movie that was nominated for 5 academy awards. She plays a nun in the movie trying to prove a priest is taking indecent liberties with a boy.

I tell her no fucking way am I watching a meryl streep movie in which she plays a nun and was nominated for 5 academy awards. As far as I am concerned that is a fucking recipe for a disaster of a movie.

Well, she rents it anyways. We get home, I tell her no fucking way am I watching it. She storms off into the guest room, locked the door and went to bed.

Hello Woody

Oh man, I can empathize![:/]
Every movie I've seen with Meryl Streep has been a total drag.
But given the choice between watching another one or sleeping alone, I'd probably choose the former.:|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Every movie I've seen with Meryl Streep has been a total drag.

Vskydiver is thinking about watching "Mama Mia" again. I'll sit next to her and read a book. Good compromise.;)

2 hour chick flick too long? Work your way up to it by watching Rosie O'Donnell a few minutes a day.:P

You should have watched the movie.

1) It would probably have been a better than a lot of what you watch on TV.

2) You're at home, not a movie theater, so you have alchohol as a crutch for when that's not the case. No one is there to object if you bring a laptop. Many women watch movies with the lights on so you may even be able to read your Economist, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, or more plebian fare.

3) When you watch a chick flick your mate may watch a guy movie and entertain you when the movie gets slow.

Obviously, this all disregards more serious implications which may result from not being more sensitive.

You're being a dick.

All you have to do is pretend to enjoy the movie and get through it. Then you would be giving the dick instead of being it, see?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

According to her, you are being selfish because you
will not do something that she wants you to do.

From your standpoint, she is being selfish because
she isn't considering your feelings on the issue.

Trust me, your viewpoint is just as valid.
She is being selfish and inconsiderate.

You should tell her right this moment, or
you will be accused of dredging up old issues.
:)

I recommend Jergen's lotion. Doesn't chaffe.
What really should have happened in this renting dispute is you rent a movie you like also. There should have been two movies to see this night. Compromise should start at the planning stage; not in hindsight during the argument stage. She wants her Meryl Streep, you deserve your Southpark. If she balks at your choice of movie, remind her that her movies are really Lifetime tv shows that got to the bigtime because the quality control team was smoking hashish, and you deserve some sort of accolades for bravely watching it with you without chewing your foot off.
This is both of your fault.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I need more facts! Did your refusal mean/imply that (a) she couldn't watch the movie, either, or (b) while she watched the movie, you'd be doing something else?
If (a), then you were a dick for not letting her watch it.
If (b), then she was a dick for throwing a tantrum.

Since you & she are engaged, it's time the 2 of you learned to act like a proper married couple: get 2 TVs, and each watch your own.

Suggestion: Agree to watch the movie. Suggest that you open a bottle of wine for the both of you to enjoy. You drink the majority of the bottle. The movie seems more interesting after 3/4 of a bottle of wine. Problem solved. :)

I discovered this maneuver for myself a couple months ago. Absolutely indispensable.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

2 hour chick flick too long? Work your way up to it by watching Rosie O'Donnell a few minutes a day.:P

I'd rather dangle my testicles over a gas-powered meat grinder.:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Sorry to say man,You are being a dick.I've been in similar situtations before and have played the dick role.
Relationships are all about comprimise.You should have watched the movie and liked it.How many movies has she watched that she thought where stupid and a "recipe for disaster"
Just my thoughts
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Sorry to say man,You are being a dick.I've been in similar situtations before and have played the dick role.
Relationships are all about comprimise.You should have watched the movie and liked it.How many movies has she watched that she thought where stupid and a "recipe for disaster"
Just my thoughts
Bry

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he has to like it. I would however say he should've sucked it up and watched it.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.