Elisha

More Packing Tips

I'm jumping an old Sabre 150 (Mfg Date 3/91) with 1000+ jumps. I've been standard Pro Packing it while rolling the nose and my openings (all 25 or so jumps so far) have been cool - no slammers.

Two comments/questions:

1) Since I've only jumped my own pack job around 15-20 times (yeah, I procrastinated learning since it sucks) and I'm sure my nose rolling wasn't the tightest several times, has the wear maybe tamed the Sabre? Just a thought.

2) I have scoliosis, so my back sux and hurts when just standing still for a while. How do you position your canopy while rolling the nose? So far I've just held the it up by the lines with one hand, grab 4 cells of one side, roll, then switch hands and repeat. I love it when there are hooks available to hang the canopy by the lines, but I don't get the opportunity to get spoiled by this often.

Thanks.

1) Since I've only jumped my own pack job around 15-20 times (yeah, I procrastinated learning since it sucks) and I'm sure my nose rolling wasn't the tightest several times, has the wear maybe tamed the Sabre? Just a thought.

It's also possible it's been retrofitted with a larger slider.

Elisha, I have recently heard packers/riggers talking about a different train of thought about slammers. They don't roll the nose anymore. They say the critical part of the pack job is to have the slider tight to the canopy. Even being a little loose can cause a slammer. Make sure as the canopy is put into the bag, the slider stays tight to the canopy. Check with the packers/riggers at your dz about what they think.

... and the primary reason fir rolling the nose is to hold the slider tight against bottom skin while you are stuffing it in the bag.

Sorry, I'm having a difficult time trying to picture that, could you explain it further?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Oops!
My bad.
I meant to say "the primary reason for rolling the TAIL is to hold the slider hard up against the bottom skin of the canopy, because it keeps your pack job together while you stuff it into the d-bag."

Thought that was probably it, thanks for clearing it up.

Any thoughts on rolling/not rolling the nose on Sabre 1's?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As someone who has two of them and use's them for camera work, I would tell you to read the PD manual !
I would also tell you that packing the way in the manual says to is a great way to do it, it's NOT a rolling in the nose, it's a fold (see manual), I use 3 big folds of the eight outside cells leaving the nose in the middle and slightly pushing back into the canopy the whole nose, as the PD manual shows to.
I get great openings....

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

As someone who has two of them and use's them for camera work, I would tell you to read the PD manual !
I would also tell you that packing the way in the manual says to is a great way to do it, it's NOT a rolling in the nose, it's a fold (see manual), I use 3 big folds of the eight outside cells leaving the nose in the middle and slightly pushing back into the canopy the whole nose, as the PD manual shows to.
I get great openings....

~

Is it online? Also, how do you do this while holding it (I'm talking mechanically speaking). I was at a small Cessna DZ yesterday and they had hooks to hang your canopy by the lines (whohoo!), but not many DZs do.

I let the lines hang over my shoulder and make my folds aginst
my leg for control, so both sides get folded evenly.
I also don't flop my canopy down on the ground, I set it down softly and take my time to get the air out. (not forcing)
If you slam it down your helping the lines move around towards the nose.(that has been pushed back inside)
By forcing the air out you are unfolding or unrolling the nose as well, air seeks the path of least resistance,ie out the nose.
The manual maybe on line? Your best bet would be to find one at a dz rigging loft or to get it from PD.

You asked if having a lot of jumps on one makes a difference.
Yes it will, one of mine has about 4000 jumps on it and is very
consistent, the other one has about 500 jumps on it and is not as consistent even tho both are packed the same way.
The second canopy can be a little brisk sometimes compared to the other one. Both open on heading everytime.

With that said I know others who HATE sabre 1's and always complain about getting spanked on every opening, then again
I have seen them pack and would say thay don't pack worth a damm.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Take my 100 jump wonder words with a grain of salt, okay? :P

I have a 170 Sabre1, probably 300ish jumps on it. I have jumped it 90+ of those jumps. I'm getting a new canopy, my husband is taking my Sabre1, so we have both packed and jumped it, both of us are also packers at the DZ.

The rigger at the DZ told us that rolling the nose on ZP can make it open unevenly, not always a good thing. What we typically do is shove the outer 4 cells on each side in pretty well without rolling them, leaving the center cell just a hair out. We pocket the slider very well, and tuck the nose well. We also leave a good 18 inches of line in the container, it seems to help it open on heading much more reliably.

To deal with the nose, sometimes I have the canopy as high my shoulder as I can and just lean forward a bit, doing the tucking with my left hand (canopy on right shoulder). That way the canopy is hanging where I need it. Usually I have the lines coming over my right shoulder, hold it out with my right hand, deal with it with the left hand, easier to see what I'm doing and make sure everything is even and slider pocketed well.

Neither of us have ever had a snappy opening, and both of us can make it really snivel if we want to.

DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOVE UNLESS YOU HAVE A RIGGER WATCHING AND ADVISING YOU!!!!!!!!!! This is just what we do, that doesn't make it the best option for you. I only posted to give you ideas to run by your rigger first.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

As a packer and one that studied under Stratostar and his gang, I've gotta agree w/ that guy.

People who say that rolling the nose doesn't do anything need to jump my Pro-Series with and without the nose rolled, and I'm not paying for the vasectomy reversal! Nose rolling/folding creates a much nicer, softer opening.

When I roll noses I already have the tail wrapped around the top of the 'chute and I hold the whole job away from me w/ my right hand and fold w/ my left. Make sure that your center cell is not obstructed by the two cell groups on the outside, it will help your canopy open on-heading.

One of the other packers at my home DZ swears that the best way to pack a slow opening is to take the slider and pull the whole thing to the front of the job, completely outside the line groups. I have then seen jumpers wrap the slider around the outside of the job, on top of the stab's. I don't prefer to pack canopys this way, however.

My advice is that if your parachute opens fine the way you've been packing it, don't change what you're doing!

edited to clarify
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

The rigger at the DZ told us that rolling the nose on ZP can make it open unevenly, not always a good thing. What we typically do is shove the outer 4 cells on each side in pretty well without rolling them, leaving the center cell just a hair out. We pocket the slider very well, and roll the nose well.

So do you roll it or not? I thought the unevenness would only happen if you rolled the nose asymmetrically, which I haven't heard of anyone doing it on purpose. I was taught to roll the cells in ward (the 4 outer on each side), leaving the center cell flaked out. All my openings have been fine so far it's just the strain on my back from having it over my shoulder and holding the canopy out with a hand while rolling it. I was at a DZ on Saturday (actually, the closest DZ to me) which has hooks (whoohoo!), but I know I can't be spoiled with them all the time.

Oops, that should say tuck the nose well, not roll it, I'll go back up and edit.

Our master rigger told us it's almost impossible to roll completely evenly, so better just to tuck it in really well. I'm sure that every rigger has a different take on this though, so run this by your favorite rigger and see what he/she says.

If holding the canopy is what hurts you... you could use a large weight [on the container] and use that to lean yourself at a angle to get access to the nose. You can also twist the job so that the weight [from the canopy] is still only on your shoulder and work the nose from the side before you finish. When I pack tandems I usually twist the job to my left when I roll the tail so I can get at it easier.

edit 'cuz im stupid [stuff in here]

DiverDriver in Training

I've packed w/o a weight, mostly just last weekend at the Richmond Boogie. It sucks! You wind up scooting forward a little bit at a time. I was told that packing w/o a weight is a good thing to learn, and its the truth because sometimes the big kids don't want to share >:(.

As for being short, at least people won't get upset w/ you taking up too much room in the plane! :D:P

DiverDriver in Training

Rather than rollint hte outer cells, I just fold them in and next to the center cell. What you listed in regard to packing Sabre's, is also (basically) what is described in the Owner's Manual.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing I am. Seems to work well.

I've packed w/o a weight, mostly just last weekend at the Richmond Boogie. It sucks! You wind up scooting forward a little bit at a time. I was told that packing w/o a weight is a good thing to learn, and its the truth because sometimes the big kids don't want to share .

As for being short, at least people won't get upset w/ you taking up too much room in the plane!

I can pack without a weight, did it this weekend. It's just a lot harder for me to reach everything and I usually let the canopy hang away from me, makes it much easier to see how the lines are lying.

Nope, I don't take up all that much room ;)

Rather than rollint hte outer cells, I just fold them in and next to the center cell. What you listed in regard to packing Sabre's, is also (basically) what is described in the Owner's Manual.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing I am. Seems to work well.

So far, I haven't had any complaints from my clients. I have in fact, had folks ask me to show them how I packed their Sabre so they could get nice openings. From what you've said, I believe, you've got a handle on it!;)

Chuck