timmyfitz

XAOS-27 openings

I have recently started jumping the XAOS-27 and I'm not to impressed with the openings. Nothing like my XAOS-21.

On opening the nose is folded back and the end cells are inflated. It usually does a hard turn to the right or left before fully opening. Sometimes it does many turns. I have already been given a few tips such as "do not stuff the nose in" and "pack the slider away from the nose". I have tried these tips plus experimented with other packing techniques with little or no improvement.

I have called Precision 4 times over the past 4 weeks. They take my name and number and tell me someone will call back to answer my questions. Haven't received a call yet.

For anyone out there jumping a 27 cell cross brace.....Any tips on how to improve the openings or is this just a characteristic of the canopy I will have to live with?

I’m still playing around with mine trying to get it to open cleaner. The center cells really like to fold in when the canopy opens slowly. I have found I get better on heading openings when the canopy opens quickly. So don’t pull the slider out in front of the nose and don’t wrap the tail too tightly, other than that just keep everything symmetrical.

My 27 does not open as nice as my 21's did, but it doesn't open anything like what you are describing...it sounds like packing technique.

When it was new my 27 did open once with the center cell tucked in, but that was the only time that happened...otherwise the openings have been great on it.
When I actually pack my own I always make sure the nose is flaked out even, then stuff it just a little (it ends up coming back out when I bring the tail around anyway), then roll the tail 3 or 4 times, depending on how it feels.
Hope this helps...

Edit to add: I also X the slider so the front of it is even with the nose...
Miami

You can deepen the brake setting to correct this.

Yes this is best method I found to make my Xaos-27 open faster and more reliably. Be careful not to go too deep though. I'd try moving cat's eye up the brake line 1/2" temporarily... try that for a few jumps... then move it up another 1/2" and see how that works for you, etc. While playing with such settings, please do open high expecting that mal may occur.