skymama

Anyone know anything about surfing?

I'm reading up on what might be a good beginner's board. Any informed opinions and suggestions are appreciated. :)
And no, it's not for me. :P My son just got accepted to a college near the beach. I thought a surfboard and wetsuit might make for a good graduation gift.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm reading up on what might be a good beginner's board. Any informed opinions and suggestions are appreciated. :)
And no, it's not for me. :P My son just got accepted to a college near the beach. I thought a surfboard and wetsuit might make for a good graduation gift.

Oh good its him... and not you... I saw another snowboarding kinda episode coming on:ph34r:

Oh good its him... and not you... I saw another snowboarding kinda episode coming on

I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid. :P

Y'all aren't being very helpful!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh good its him... and not you... I saw another snowboarding kinda episode coming on

I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid. :P

Y'all aren't being very helpful!

I would say call some surf shops in the area he will be going to school... and find out what is common for beginners.... style is really important;)

Young man chick on the beach with surf board and good
looking chicks dudes in bikinis boardshorts on the beach.B|

That sounds like a good combo for academic
success.:D:D.

I would suggest a case of No-Doz if they still make it. B|

I wanted to go there soooooo badly. My Dad knew what he was doing when he said no way!!!

;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

My boss (who has been surfing for 50 years) recommended a long board.... 9'6" - 10' board - Robert August would be good.

Wetsuit, either Ripcurl or O'Neil 3.2 mm

He recommended hitting a Ron Jon surf shop - they may give better insight (depending on height, weight, etc.) and also inquire about lessons.

Have fun!!!
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I went to college near the beach (east coast of Florida). My first year I spent a lot of my spare time at the beach. My second year I scheduled all my classes for afternoon and evening so I could be surfing at sun-up. My third year I was out on my ass. Of course your son may not be as weak-willed as I am.

Of course your son may not be as weak-willed as I am.

Nick is a very determined and disciplined kid, I've always said I want to be like him when I grow up! He's going to the school (Flagler) to play his first love of soccer, so I don't think he'll do anything to mess that up. Famous last words, eh? :ph34r:

Good advice above... Go to a few of the local surf shops, and ask. Height and weight are key. The longboard advice was good, too. I would suggest a used longboard, that way when he gets better, he can sell it off and buy a smaller board. (Wow, that sounds familiar advice rig-wise)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

It's alot like jumpen... RENT a board, take some lessons, and then let him figure out what he needs. Also, boards are like canopy's? There are many different sizes and shapes. The correct one will depend on the surf, his size, type of surfing, ect,

It's cheap to rent. Alot of surf lessons come with free rental.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Hopefully his mom won't know that.

Actually, the amount of reported shark attacks in that area goes way down compared to where he usually plays in the surf. I'm good with that!