wilcox

release handles on sigma

generally I teach the left handle is primary, the right handle is secondary.
The reasoning is that your right hand throws the drogue,the left hand releases the drogue.

This has worked very well for all the candidates that have gone through my courses.

Hope it helps

Ralph

generally I teach the left handle is primary, the right handle is secondary

I was taught opposite, since the right handle moves being on your leg strap and the left handle doesn't, being on the rig. Thus go for your right, if you can't get it/find it for some crazy reason, atleast you can hit the left every time since it doesn't move.

I guess that worked well for me, but I don't really care anymore, I'll pull with either hand, depends on my mood. Then again, I do try to switch it up between left and right on various jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

are the drouge release handles on sigma tandem called primary and secondary? which is which?

I prefer to call the handles just left and right, and leave it up to the tandem instructor which one to use on any particular jump. I personally use the right on the Sigma most of the time, because its position makes it easier to pull. However, all tandem instructors should use each handle every so often, so that they remain familiar with the position of each, in case one becomes unusable for any reason.

Ralph's method is how I was instructed by the RWS. I got thte impression from TK that it was based on the Vector 2 design and the ease in training Vector 2 T-I's on the Sigma.

But the manual says;

That is right nothing in the Sigma Manual labels the handles. Page 13 only refers to the system as the "Recoil Ripcord System"

So thanks. I hadn't read the manual in a few weeks so it was cool to crack it open.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

are the drouge release handles on sigma tandem called primary and secondary? which is which?

Finally after some years there's a true Sigma manual online at RWS. (Not just a Vector Tandem manual plus some additional material describing the Sigma equipment, as it was before.)

The new manual labels the blue left side drogue release as Primary, and the orange right side release as Secondary. [Section 2 Chapter 1] The section on normal procedures is kept short and only mentions pulling the blue handle.

That being said, I figure drop zones can choose their own preferred pull procedures depending on the level of student involvement in the process.