prepheckt

Kids sports and coaching- Political correctness be dammed!

THE COACH’S ORIGINAL E-MAIL

OK, here’s the real deal: Team 7 will be called Green Death. We will only acknowledge “Team 7” for scheduling and disciplinary purposes. Green Death has had a long and colorful history, and I fully expect every player and parent to be on board with the team. This is not a team, but a family (some say cult), that you belong to forever. We play fair at all times, but we play tough and physical soccer. We have some returning players who know the deal; for the others, I only expect 110% at every game and practice. We do not cater to superstars, but prefer the gritty determination of journeymen who bring their lunch pail to work every week, chase every ball and dig in corners like a Michael Vick pit bull. Unless there is an issue concerning the health of my players or inside info on the opposition, you probably don’t need to talk to me. Coach MacDonald has been designated “good guy” this year.

Some say soccer at this age is about fun and I completely agree. However, I believe winning is fun and losing is for losers. Ergo, we will strive for the “W” in each game. While we may not win every game (excuse me, I just got a little nauseated) I expect us to fight for every loose ball and play every shift as if it were the finals of the World Cup. While I spent a good Saturday morning listening to the legal liability BS, which included a 30 minute dissertation on how we need to baby the kids and especially the refs, I was disgusted. The kids will run, they will fall, get bumps, bruises and even bleed a little. Big deal, it’s good for them (but I do hope the other team is the one bleeding). If the refs can’t handle a little criticism, then they should turn in their whistle. The sooner they figure out how to make a decision and live with the consequences the better. My heckling of the refs is actually helping them develop as people. The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines. America’s youth is becoming fat, lazy and non-competitive because competition is viewed as “bad”. I argue that competition is good and is important to the evolution of our species and our survival in what has become an increasingly competitive global economy and dangerous world. Second place trophies are nothing to be proud of as they serve only as a reminder that you missed your goal; their only useful purpose is as an inspiration to do that next set of reps. Do you go to a job interview and not care about winning? Don’t animals eat what they kill (and yes, someone actually kills the meat we eat too – it isn’t grown in plastic wrap)? And speaking of meat, I expect that the ladies be put on a diet of fish, undercooked red meat and lots of veggies. No junk food. Protein shakes are encouraged, and while blood doping and HGH use is frowned upon, there is no testing policy. And at the risk of stating the obvious, blue slushies are for winners.

These are my views and not necessarily the views of the league (but they should be). I recognize that my school of thought may be an ideological shift from conventional norms. But it is imperative that we all fight the good fight, get involved now and resist the urge to become sweat-xedo-wearing yuppies who sit on the sidelines in their LL Bean chairs sipping mocha-latte-half-caf-chinos while discussing reality TV and home decorating with other feeble-minded folks. I want to hear cheering, I want to hear encouragement, I want to get the team pumped up at each and every game and know they are playing for something.

Lastly, we are all cognizant of the soft bigotry that expects women and especially little girls, to be dainty and submissive; I wholeheartedly reject such drivel. My overarching goal is develop ladies who are confident and fearless, who will stand up for their beliefs and challenge the status quo. Girls who will kick ass and take names on the field, off the field and throughout their lives. I want these girls to be winners in the game of life. Who’s with me?

Go Green Death!

--

KINAHAN’S RESIGNATION

Team, After careful consideration, I have decided to resign from all coaching responsibilities related to Team 7 this season. Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that some parents and the Board of Scituate Soccer failed to see the humor in my pre-season email. For the avoidance of doubt, the email was largely (albeit not completely) meant in jest and with the goal of giving the parents a chuckle while enduring yet another round of organized youth sports. It was also meant as a satire of those who take youth sports too seriously for the wrong reasons. My overarching goal is the well-being of my players, and I do not want any player to feel uncomfortable, nor do I want to see the team disbanded because of a lack of active players. Therefore, while I’d prefer to go down swinging, it’s really about the kids and it just makes more sense for me to take the year off.

While I respectfully disagree with the Board's interpretation of my comments, I believe that they should be commended for their immediate actions to address the concerns of the offended parties. The Board’s action proves that the chain of command is functioning as designed. Board members volunteer their valuable time and I do not plan to add to their already significant workload. I also respect those parents who were offended as I am sure they acted in the best interest of their children. While I may question their sense of humor, I have no right to question their judgment regarding their children. Perhaps we may even have beer (I’ll buy) and a couple of laughs at the end of all of this.

And while I am sorry some people failed to see the humor, I do not apologize for my actions; I wrote it, I think it's funny and I do have a distaste for the tediousness of overbearing political correctness. Furthermore, I was serious about parental involvement as I do believe parents should cheer and encourage players (in a positive fashion obviously) so that the kids feel the excitement that comes from team competition. And most importantly, I was completely serious that I want to see each young girl develop a positive self image, self-confidence and the will to succeed in any endeavor that she desires. Lastly, I have added some comments to my initial email (in capitals) to clarify several points that may have been viewed as offensive.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Kinahan

Go Green Death!

I never was in sports as a kid, cause I sucked something awful. However, I did learn to get better and wasn't picked last at recess. If I had been in Little League, I wish I'd had a coach like this. I think this guy is hilarious.

Article [url"http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x575725578/-Green-Death-coach-resigns" here][/url]

Focus: As a parent would you be offended by this? If so, why?

Secondary Focus: Anyone have a coach like this as a kid or in high school?
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

I would have wanted to meet the coach and get to know him a bit, and watch a few practices before I put my girl in there. There are good coaches, and there are bad ones too. See Karate Kid for example. Sounds like this guy has a good sense of humor and some people took it the wrong way.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think there are a few Stupid Fuckers here that could learn a bit from the coach.:D

You need to start copyrighting that term. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The original email is just plain scary. The follow up resignation email is just plain bullshit. If I were a parent, I would not allow my child to join his team.

Competitive youth sports is not about winning. It's about instilling values far more important like teamwork, fairplay, good sportmanship, and doing one's best.

I started playing sports when I was 5 and I never had a coach like the one who sent the email.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

The original email is just plain scary. The follow up resignation email is just plain bullshit. If I were a parent, I would not allow my child to join his team.

Competitive youth sports is not about winning. It's about instilling values far more important like teamwork, fairplay, good sportmanship, and doing one's best.

I started playing sports when I was 5 and I never had a coach like the one who sent the email.

The sarcasm and tounge-in-cheek anti PC feelgood liberal treehuggin touchy feeling feminine side bullshit is obvious.

I would pay extra for a chance for that kind of outlook on life to be instilled into ALL the youth today.

Teamwork - yes, Good Values, Yes - COMPETITION - definately. Being taught that it is INDEED OK to go after what you want and OK TO SUCCEED - PRICELESS.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think his first e-mail is great.

the 2nd is horrible, but I wouldn't blame him for bailing if a majority of the parents came crying about it - you can't teach strong values if the parents don't teach strong values

and you can't show humor to the sadly humorless

it's a losing proposition to teach competition, winning well and losing graciously, and doing your best, when the brain washing is so prevalent

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I coach little league softball, and played every seasonal sport there was growing up.
Heres what I think, lynch me if ya want I think to first email was worded very inappropriately. While I saw the humor in some areas I can see how many soccer moms would take it as serious. Alot of this for me would depend on the age group. I have coached from ages 5 up to right now I coach 10 and under, IMO 10/u is the cutoff for me. I dont belive in the playing for fun scenerio but rather the fact that these ages groups are strictly for fundamentals and semi advanced play. At around ages 12 and over I firmly believe in what we call "pushing" the kids to extreme levels. I dont make practice "fun" and I play to win, but not at the exspense of losing fundamentals. I will explain.
We had a team last year that was so hell bent on winning that they had their one superstar player run down every out because the rest of there team could not catch, and there coach was yelling for this to happen every game! and they won every game, this year that girl moved up, they still have most of the same team and there record is 1-9, because he lost sight of teaching the entire team how to play fundamental ball they all suffered.
We like to win, gods know I do. However winning is a byproduct of good sound coaching. I have had hard ass coaches that physically grabed and threw you around like a rag doll and for me even at a young age I did not think of it as "OMG" I took it as I better do wtf I he says right now. But as a parent it "is" hard to stand back see someone else have that much control and influence on your kid! my opinion is this, if you trust the coach and believe in your childs drive dont interfere and let them be pushed as hard as possible. But there are those coaches who just want to win for "themselves" at any cost. Thats when you intervene and if I did not know this coach or trust him damn right I woulda spoke up!
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"

Dude, yep, I can see it now. Your kid will learn all about teamwork and fairplay and he/she will be very good at being a good sport while doing his/her best....and when grown, he/she will still be losing because he/she didn't learn what it takes to be a winner.

Mindless parents seem to think that you can't learn all those things and learn how to be winner at the same time...so sad for the kids. You're cheating them out of a good opportunity to get a picture of how to be on top of the heap instead of at the bottom.

Maybe you think kids LIKE to lose...I don't know of any myself.

Hope Mommy is there to hold his/her hand all through life and that you keep the kid's bedroom available for the next 40-50 years.

While you're at it...go after those idiots who grade your kid's papers and rate their work with grades. Holy shit! Of all things! One kid a winner, one a loser! Holy shit!
Top of the class? Bottom of the class? Holy shit!

(that's a lot of Holy Shits! isn't it...I got carried away)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I certainly never said anything about teaching children to lose. I also never said anything about not keeping score for fear feelings will be hurt when they don't win.

From age 5 til about 26 I played competitive sports. I was on losing teams and winning teams but more often than not I was the captain of a team with a bunch of rag tag players....the underdogs. The team that had no business contending for first place. Yet we did.

Was it because we focused on winning? Hell no. It was because we focused on fundamentals, teamwork, and doing our best AS A TEAM. I didn't expect my teams to win. I expected them to do their best. Winning was a result of that. When we lost it was because we were outplayed...NOT because we didn't strive to succeed.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

>The sarcasm and tounge-in-cheek anti PC feelgood liberal treehuggin
>touchy feeling feminine side bullshit is obvious.

Unfortunately there are actually people like that. So as someone else mentioned I'd want to meet the guy first to see if he was writing that as satire or if he really intended to push kids until they break.

The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines. America’s youth is becoming fat, lazy and non-competitive because competition is viewed as “bad”. I argue that competition is good and is important to the evolution of our species

i don't know if this was a joke or serios but i agree with this 100%
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines. America’s youth is becoming fat, lazy and non-competitive because competition is viewed as “bad”. I argue that competition is good and is important to the evolution of our species

We can only HOPE that it is a serious part of the message as it is probably the single most important part of this thread.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I agree with the last sentence but not the first. I think America's youth is becoming fat, lazy, and uncompetitive because their parents are fat, lazy, and uncompetitive.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I agree with the last sentence but not the first. I think America's youth is becoming fat, lazy, and uncompetitive because their parents are fat, lazy, and uncompetitive.

It is a compilation of both. But the PC police will beat down a lot of desires to be around . . . anywhere around . . . those kind of people. It just sucks to be there with them and their better than thou attitudes. Have fun watching your kids be kids - leave your political adjendas at home in your weed box.

Touchy feely - huggy - It's bullshit - Life is not fair, but at least in sports it has some semblance of order and rules mean something. Life sucks, you pick your ass up and you get on with it, just like a bad call . . . THAT is life - not scheduling a counciling appointment because jimmy scored a goal on suzy in his boyscout soccer league. Just because suzy's parents sued to get her admitted. S I U C C! Time to pull up the big girl/boy pants and get over it. Build a fucking bridge. Pussifying the country is not the way to continue advancing the US -OR- human race, competition is - competition simply makes us better. And there needs to be a way to measure it.

Do you skydive with less experianced people because you learn that much from them? Or when you want to improve, do you gho to someone with moere experiance than you, get coaching, and compete? Maybe we should take all scoring out of Nationals! Wouldn't THAT be fun. You know what . . . you are no longer allowed to count ANY points on ANY skydive.

Thank you for being the 2nd person to completely take my post out of context.

Question: Would you be ok with your child's coach teaching him/her to take a dive in order to help the team win?

That would depend on the situation and what you would define as a "dive". Head first slides into home at full speed is definately encouraged. Pinch Hitters, designated hitters, and switching out players because of fouls are how the game is played.

For example - this is not what I would be involved with or tolerate.

altho I did read the part of the OP concerning the email that the coach sent out originally, I didn't read all of the coach's resignation email.

I've always thought that humor, sarcasm, and irony is extremely difficult to get across in the written form. Best to be obvious, in a way that cannot be misunderstood- as the coach seems to feel that it was. Misunderstood.

But frankly, my opinion is that altho the coasch tries to say, after the fact that it all was meant in jest, I kinda think that the coash was in fact some what serious with the tone of the letter.

The best part of the origianl letter, and perhaps would have said everything and in apositive tone would have been simply to have used the last prargraph in the original email as the opening and guide for the whole original letter in the frist place.

. I have had hard ass coaches that physically grabed and threw you around like a rag doll and for me even at a young age I did not think of it as "OMG" I took it as I better do wtf I he says right now. But as a parent it "is" hard to stand back see someone else have that much control and influence on your kid!

No one is allowed to throw around any of my kids like that, especially over a kid's game. That's way inappropriate. I have had, and my kids have had, good coaches, mediocre coaches, and bully coaches. The bully coaches are a big part of what's wrong with children's sports. I like to confront those assholes when I see them.

The other big problem is hyper-competitive parents and all these select teams because some people's kids are just too good to play with average kids.:S

It was because we focused on fundamentals, teamwork, and doing our best AS A TEAM. I didn't expect my teams to win. I expected them to do their best. Winning was a result of that. When we lost it was because we were outplayed...NOT because we didn't strive to succeed.

I would enjoy you coaching any of my kids.B|

This coach reminds me of my high school wrestling coach. By god if he wasn't one of the toughest sonsuvbitches I ever met. To this day I still have nothing but respect for that man for driving us into the ground. He pushed the limits, toughened us up, but never once crossed the line.

That being said, were the world to be so unlucky as to have me reproduce, and I got this email...I'd sign my kid up for green death in a heartbeat, but admit I would go watch the coach do his thing. Not out of fear for my child, but as parental involvement. I can't count the number of times dad and I threw football, baseball, or drilled wrestling moves after practice and at home. Hell, dad made me do more then coach did.

Reading this thread reminds me that there are still real people out there, who don't buy into all this politically correct bullshit, but that they are few and far between.

It also proves that just in this thread, there are a whole lot of people with kids that may as well just hand over their milk money and take a position at the lowest rank possible.

Life's not fair. Everyone is created equal, but from that moment on, it's survival of the fittest. Your precious little snowflake isn't going to get anything handed to them, and in the real world, we keep score.

Take the sand out of your vaginas, do the world a favor, and toughen your kids up. It's not getting any easier out there any time soon.