lexusone

would you buy a complete rig on ebay

Perhaps you could do this:

Make a deal with the seller that if you win the auction, you reserve the right to release funds based upon approval from your rigger. You have the seller send the rig to your rigger for approval BEFORE you buy it. If it passes, send the money! If not, have rigger send it back to the guy and let him try and resell with the feedback..

ask your rigger to look at it. i wouldn't bid until he does. he will know the questions to ask as well!
(not just canopy, container size, pull out/boc, & dom)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I bought a main on Ebay that I'm quite happy with.

It is key to get an inspection before money finishes changing hands. Unless you have personal vouchers, it's probably best to use an escrow service, and have a rigger that you both trust in the middle of the transaction.

One who is local to the seller is best -- he might know the history, and might know how the seller generally treats his gear.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi

Do not pay before it will be inspected by your rigger.

Ask for the whole history of the system.

I know a skydiver that bought a h/c from a skydiver by ebay & the rig was grounded "For Good" by the mfg. after I found that the h/c passed all kind of "non approved" changes.

I informed the mfg. & he grounded it for ever.

Take Care & be careful.

Safe Jumps !!!

(what they all said ^^^ about rigger-must-check)

And before bidding I ask the seller for the serial number of the rig, and what s/he knows about mods performed on it etc. Then check with the manufacturer to ensure that's it'll fit you and what size parachutes it was built for (when it left the factory at least), and what mods are required for normal use (belly) and freeflying.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I bought my complete rig on Ebay and it was a great rig at a great price (never used). The guy was really nice and let me have a full inspection with no strings attached. He even threw in his jumpsuit, altimeter and helmet for only $50 bucks.

You can usually sense if something fishy is going on. As long as he lets you get it inspected, then you should be okay.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

ask your rigger to look at it. i wouldn't bid until he does. he will know the questions to ask as well!
(not just canopy, container size, pull out/boc, & dom)

Well, unfortunately, there's no time to get a rig checked before bidding, when it comes to eBay.

What's needed is negotation to use some kind of escrow, an agreed-upon neutral rigger that both parties trust. So the seller and buyer can't easily scam each other. Then bidding is okay, I'd say.

I've bought numerous items from eBay, including laptops and home theater equipment. As long as you "know" the system, I think it's OK.

I didn't get my rig on eBay, but I definitely agree about getting it checked before the release of funds. I know someone who flew somewhere just to get it checked and test-jump a rig -- considering the funds involved, I can understand why!