packing_jarrett

Best transition canopy?

How about none of the above?

Saber2 150, Pilot 150, Lotus 150, Safire2 150 would all be reasonable choices if you downsized to them gradually, by going down one size at a time.

They'd also be a hell of a lot of fun.

A 135 is WAY too small for your limited experience. Wingloadings do not scale linearly. While 1.0 is a great first wingloading for a bigger person, it can be quite aggresive for a smaller one.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

OMG! A stilletto is now a transition canopy for jumpers with 40 jumps!?!

You were jumping a diablo at 23 jumps!?!
Are your instructors taking crazy pills!

Go with the Sabre 150 and fly the living snot out of it. I've seen many jumpers go for high performance canopies and learn at half the speed of those with lower wing loadings.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

OMG! A stilletto is now a transition canopy for jumpers with 40 jumps!?!

You were jumping a diablo at 23 jumps!?!
Are your instructors taking crazy pills!

Go with the Sabre 150 and fly the living snot out of it. I've seen many jumpers go for high performance canopies and learn at half the speed of those with lower wing loadings.

The Sabre 150 was not one of the choices, but the Stiletto 150.

I vote Sabre 135, as it is on the list.

Transition to what? You're on one of the fastest turning canopies already. That 150 Stiletto isn't going to be a faster canopy ... so skip it. Leave the Monarch alone because you'll be disappointed given the fact you'r jumping a radical canopy already.

Since your dad is letting you jump the Diablo, don't hurt yourself, and keep jumping it. By the time you get another couple hundred jumps in, chances are you'll weigh more, so in a sense, you'll be downsizing without changing canopies.

By then, you'll have a better idea what to switch to.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I think I misunderstood the question. If you're asking what is a more reasonable canopy for now, try the sabre. There are so many things you can do on it and you will probably learn a lot more with less risk.

Hope that helps... again
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How about none of the above?

Saber2 150, Pilot 150, Lotus 150, Safire2 150 would all be reasonable choices if you downsized to them gradually, by going down one size at a time.

They'd also be a hell of a lot of fun.

A 135 is WAY too small for your limited experience. Wingloadings do not scale linearly. While 1.0 is a great first wingloading for a bigger person, it can be quite aggresive for a smaller one.

_Am

Couldn't have said it any beter!

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

I cannot beleive i just read that !!!
How bout we take bets on how long before this guys in a box six feet under!!! at this rate before 100 Jumps!!!!
And what DZ lets him on those canopies????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large Groups!!

The age limit is from the US Parachute Association; it's not a civil law. So if you jump at a dropzone that is not USPA-associated (they exist, and are by no means necessarily unsafe) you can not follw the Basic Safety Regulations.

Most of the BSRs are real safety issues -- competent instruction, pull altitudes. Some dropzone families feel their children are mature enough to jump before the USPA age of 16, and they are willing to sign the legal paperwork for them to jump.

I'd suggest a Sabre or Sabre 2 150 or something like that for Jarrett -- it'll grow with him, and give him the opportunity to do stupid stuff sometimes (which adolescents just plain do) with a slightly smaller chance of life-altering injury. He'll get heavier over the next couple of years, so that'll help the wing loading.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The age limit is from the US Parachute Association; it's not a civil law. So if you jump at a dropzone that is not USPA-associated (they exist, and are by no means necessarily unsafe) you can not follw the Basic Safety Regulations.

Wendy W.

USPA says 16 with parental sign off but I know of many states, Washington included, where a parent cant sign the childs rights away. As a result there are some DZ's that stick to an age limit of 18 as a min.

The question of family is one that I dont have an issue with espically if they have been around a DZ all their life. Is there an issue though with a under 16 y/o if they are jumping at a USPA group Member DZ? The mullins kids had tons of jumps before 16 but I dont know if they were jumping exclusively at Non-Group Member DZ's. I mention them as they are a well know example of a family in skydiving that has young kids in teh sport..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I want to go to a stilleto 135 because I'm having bad landing under the diablo. I'm not wing loading it enough so I HAVE to get speed to get a good landing. If I get a stilleto 135 it will have a better glide so I won't have to go as fast. We'll see how I do under it this weekend.

Edit: I didn't intend on making this one of those "your under 16 and jumping? what about the law?" sort of posts!
Na' Cho' Cheese

Why such a big stilleto? You'll load that too light too, won't you? Besides, stilletos are old technology. You want a velocity!

Wait, were you serious?? You really need to get some advice from someone that knows ANYTHING about canopy flight. Please.

Dave

I think his dad may know a little about canopy flight.
Jarrett, out of curiosity, what is your dad suggesting you fly?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Cool... so then a few jumps on the stilleto and you should be all set for a Velo, huh?

His dad is an AFF instructor I believe (was he your instructor Jarrett?), and may have a more valid input than you or I. Even if we, with our lack of experience, and many others with much more experience, may not agree with it.
However, what prompted this thread? Looking for a "forum" second opinion?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."