banesanura

Car life expectancy

It all depends on how well it was maintained over its life. What kind of car is it?

We take care of our vehicles and the mileage shows:

1996 Mazda Protege: 202,000+
2000 Toyota Tundra: 151,000+
2005 Pontiac Vibe: 56,000+

And they are all running smoothly. But for some reason, I keep expecting to have problems with the Vibe before it reaches 100K.

Why? Would you feel better about it if it was a Toyota?

Oh I dunno. Yeah I know the Vibe is made on the same assembly line as a Toyota of the same body somewhere in CA. Something about it being a Pontiac... I'm still wondering why I didn't just spend a couple extra grand on a better brand name.

Then again, the 1993 Ford Mustang I had run up to 90K before selling to a friend of mine who needed a car real bad, and got a 1996 Mustang for myself, well that friend ran the '93 Mustang up to 292K miles before the engine gave out. Wish I'd kept that, but knowing my driving habits, it would have petered out by 200K. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I bought my 94 toyota pickup with 260,000 miles, and it ran like new.

Why? Would you feel better about it if it was a Toyota?

:D:D:D

88 Toyota truck with over 500k. Rebuilt the whole engine after suffering a bad rod at 380k, milled the head after a gasket leak at 480k. I've actually been trying to kill it dead since 250k miles to buy something spiffyer. Not now after I know the longevity of the newer offerings.

Oh I dunno. Yeah I know the Vibe is made on the same assembly line as a Toyota of the same body somewhere in CA. Something about it being a Pontiac... I'm still wondering why I didn't just spend a couple extra grand on a better brand name.

:P

Exactly true. No need to buy the better name as one of the technicians at said plant ( our company stole him for higher tech stuff) told me the cars are exactly the same with the exception of some of the extra options that Pontiac is better at quality than yota believe it or not. The Yota will have better resale because of the name, no doubt.

>My biggest fear is if I broke down at dark in the middle of no where.

While you can't prevent that 100%, knowing what's about to go wrong (by better understanding the car) and good maintenance can greatly reduce the chances of that. By far the biggest cause of that will be a dead battery, so battery replacement and/or a solar battery maintainer or jumpstarter will go a long way.

Yes, batteries can get you, but as long as you start off with buying a top quality battery, and replacing it at least every 4 to 5 years you will be ok. An original battery may not even last that long. Also if you run the battery flat dead by leaving the lights on, you shorten the life by 10% or more per incident.

Solar chargers don't do you any good unless the vehicle is unused for 30 days or more or if you have a load drawing current from the battery when the engine is stopped. Save your money for a better battery.

The most important part of battery maintenance is to peridoically disconnect the battery and clean the terminals with a wire brush and making sure all of the connections are tight. If you don't do this you it will bite you in the ass at a bad time.

Jeff

>Solar chargers don't do you any good unless the vehicle is unused for 30 days
>or more or if you have a load drawing current from the battery when the engine is
>stopped.

Agreed. And most cars nowadays draw current from the battery when they are off for running the clock, maintaining radio settings, maintaining NVRAM for maintenance purposes, listening for the unlock signal from the keyfob, keeping the alarm active etc etc.

I had no clue at all about cars, until a couple months ago. Just from patience, online DIY manuals, and a hobby shop where I can use tools, and ask some questions, I have already:

Flushed my cooling system.
Replaced my transmission fluid.
Changed timing belt, power steering, and alternator belts.
Changed water pump.

Not too bad after starting about 2 months ago. Comparing shop prices for the jobs, to the actual cost I paid to do it myself, I already saved $1000 total by not taking it to a dealership. I still change my oil at the dealership though, because it's relatively cheap ($35), it's done fast, and they also check my entire car for no additional cost, along with the pH levels of all my fluids. Basically, they tell me what's wrong, they give me an estimate, and then I read up on how to do it myself, and save $$$!

BTW, I have a 2001 Honda Civic.

As what was said earlier, you should absolutely replace the timing belt and water pump ASAP. If that thing breaks, which can happen at 90,000mi, or 150,000, you're likely looking at a new engine.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Regular maintenance will save your internal moving metal parts, but generally does nothing for some of the other things that fail, such as timing and serpentine belts, batteries and terminals,(although regular cleaning can lengthen the life of the the cables and terminals). The big money items are the motor, transmission, rear-end, and quite often the cooling and fuel systems. Regular maintenance will significantly lengthen the life of these components.

Well said. I shouldnt type when tired! :)

Says the painter.............;)

Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Keep an eye on the timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced in the past 94k miles then I would replace it. A broken timing belt can lead to bent valves, and possibly damaged pistons.

It's generally a good idea to do a tuneup at 100k miles. Replace all the belts, spark plugs, spark plug wires, all fluids, etc...