teason

Deet and Nylon

For many years, we have packed without mosquito repellant. The reason for this is that many repellants contain Deet which melts plastics. I know this to be true because I once melted my headphone buds while working in the bush!

A couple of years ago, a friend pointed out that if deet melts all plastics, then why is it sold in a plastic bottle?

Obviously not all synthetic materials are harmed by deet.

The question here is this; does anyone know difinitively if deet is injurious to nylon?

It may be a myth (I'm not sugesting anyone try it out on thier parachute). I'm sure someone out there must know.
I do have some scrap f111 and I'm going to do some experimentin'!
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I've done serious damage to tent fabric with deet.

Like parachutes, tent fabric is also usually made from SolarMax, although with a different thread count and finished differently.

I supose the damage I did to my tent could have been related to the differnt finishing techniques... I'd be very hesitant to allow it anywhere near my canopy.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Sounds like an experiment that needs doing. If I had some deet I'd apply it to a bunch of scrap and see what happens.

Edit to add: Of course, until really good info came out (not just the results of my lame experiments) I'd assume deet is bad for skydiving gear.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

When DEET melts plastic, it tends to do so immediately. This doesn't seem to happen when DEET is applied to ZP nylon. Of course its always better to err on the side of caution. However:

I have done an experiment with DEET and ZP nylon. Basically I took some brand new ZP, cut it to pieces (75mm x 125mm), stuck the pieces on a piece of board, applied different contaminants(including DEET) and kept the board in the sun for about 50 hours during a two month period.

Afterwards I tested all the pieces to destruction.

None of the samples had degraded in strength. :o

The reason for that is probably the fairly short time that I had for the experiment. Also the new ZP had a flawless coating on it; I had trouble getting some of the contaminants to stick on the samples! Because of that I believe that the contaminants never actually got in contact with the nylon.

I intend to repeat the experiment with used fabric that has lost some of its coating. Also I plan to wait longer the next time. I don't know when I have the time to do it, but I'll post the results here when I do.

applied different contaminants(including DEET) and kept the board in the sun for about 50 hours during a two month period.

You should not do both the contaminates and the sun exposure at the same time. It would be tough to determine what was the true cause of any degradation of the fabric.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You should not do both the contaminates and the sun exposure at the same time. It would be tough to determine what was the true cause of any degradation of the fabric.

I did indeed have plenty of control samples. With and without contaminants, in the sun and out of the sun.

Of course none of that mattered since all the samples were of identical strength after the exposure.:S Better luck next time...

This is from a University of Florida Website:

Only apply DEET formulations to exposed skin; do not apply to areas underneath clothing. Do not apply DEET formulations on or near plastics, acetate,rayon, Spandex, synthetic fabrics (other than nylon), furniture finishes, leather, watch crystals, and painted or varnished surfaces. Plastic glass frames and goggles should be protected from DEET applications. Car finishes and interiors also may be damaged by DEET. It will not damage nylon, cotton, or wool fabrics.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig122

Interesting ...
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.