istvan90

Problems with reserve parachute systems

yes i agree on this one.

eliminating the traditional deployment method maybe a new way to deploy a more reliable reserve parachute. Modern reserve should use the balistic system so it can get through the entanglement. However, if it is at all possible to combine the traditional reserve system with the balistic reserve system it might be better , but this may just to too much and unachiavable. So maybe going for the ballistic system would be the best solution. All we need is a system that does not rely on a successfull cut away to save the life of the jumper, cause we all know taht sometimes a successful cut away is not possible and this should not resulve in death....or should it?

Uh ... what happens when an unstable jumper fires the rocket downwards and then falls into it.

But ... even if stable...

I've packed rocket powered reserves for glider pilots. Because of the rocket design, they must be packed sideways. That leads to sail effect.

Sail effect leads to malfunctions.

Rocket assist reserve would increase the malfunction rates on reserve canopies.
The only solution to that would be to introduce new procedures to make deploying safe.

And isn't it incorrect procedures that are the real cause of the problems you origionally mentioned?

Oh yeah, I've also seen a really neat melted reserve:o
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

How about rocket activated shoes and a mini-helicopter attached to your legs, of course the helicopter engine would have to be a piston driven engine because God knows that a turbine motor would take far to long to get fired up. This in conjunction with a third reserve in a new style container should be all that one needs. I believe the problem with todays reserves and the way they function has a great deal to do with the pilot who flies them or should I say doesn't fly them. Think about when the two canopies entangle. I believe much of the time it's from a cypres fire which I have personally seen many times. This could be blamed on the pilot for lack of alti awareness. When was the last time you heard of a Tandem main and reserve being entangled. i can answer that but I don't need to. Altitude awareness in my opinion is the number one safety factor that should be on everyones mind. Just my $.02 and not so humble opinion.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

hey sparky

filling out my profile is not relevent to my original idea at all! it is the idea that matters not who says it. its not who says it but what he sayst that matters!

I didn't say it was relevant. It will tend to give you some credibility. As for the last part of your post, if you really believe that you need to get out more. jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a bunch of sketches of explosive-deployed reserve pilot chutes, but have never been able to figure out how to avoid killing other skydivers if it accidentally deploys in the airplane.
If it deployed in the cabin, the guy sitting behind you would feel like he had been hit by a concrete block!

I can think that only a non-jumper would come up with a post like this. Just how many main-reserve entanglements do you think happen each year? Not many, and I'll define that as under 5 per year. Nearly all of them can be traced to errors in the use of proven equipment designs. How many impossible to cut away mains do you think happen? Again, not very many and there are new equipment options such as riser inserts that can all but eliminate a hard cutaway. Used according to design and as planned today's reserve systems work perfectly well.

As mentioned above you have a solution that needs a problem that does not exist. If you have any experience jumping (it doesn't sound like it) you should let everyone know what that is if you want anyone to take you seriously.

You idea is impractical to implement, (too costly) unrealistic for sport jumping (why not just have the rockets inserted up everyone's asses, when they pucker up it fires), and would only lead to increased fatalities. (plane burnes up on jump run when rocket deploys out of jumper's ass)

I can think that only a non-jumper would come up with a post like this. Just how many main-reserve entanglements do you think happen each year? Not many, and I'll define that as under 5 per year. Nearly all of them can be traced to errors in the use of proven equipment designs. How many impossible to cut away mains do you think happen? Again, not very many and there are new equipment options such as riser inserts that can all but eliminate a hard cutaway. Used according to design and as planned today's reserve systems work perfectly well.

As mentioned above you have a solution that needs a problem that does not exist. If you have any experience jumping (it doesn't sound like it) you should let everyone know what that is if you want anyone to take you seriously.

You idea is impractical to implement, (too costly) unrealistic for sport jumping (why not just have the rockets inserted up everyone's asses, when they pucker up it fires), and would only lead to increased fatalities. (plane burnes up on jump run when rocket deploys out of jumper's ass)

Ding... Ding... Ding... We have a winner.
"I can think that only a non-jumper would come up with a post like this."

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Would have liked to have awared you the 3 dings of a winner but you asked a qualifying question first before making a statement questioning the veracity of the poster.

So yes, you got points for posting first but lost too many points for style. You are awarded second place get the requisite 2 dings

Ding... Ding... We have second place!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I have a bunch of sketches of explosive-deployed reserve pilot chutes, but have never been able to figure out how to avoid killing other skydivers if it accidentally deploys in the airplane.
If it deployed in the cabin, the guy sitting behind you would feel like he had been hit by a concrete block!

Needs no explosives...you can make a rocket with H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide)/silver reaction.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

We once thought a pistol deployed reserve would be the hot ticket in BASE jumping. But, then we realized it was just better to do everything right the first time.

BASE rigs tend to work more often that not by virtue of their simplicity. Sometimes the reason you need two canopies is because you have two canopies. Not only is a two canopy rig more complicated, it lends itself to sloppy packing, deferred maintenance, and in general the taking of unnecessary chances because, "I have a reserve."

There is, however, still a use for a pistol deployed reserve in BASE jumping. When all is lost and you are passing through that last fifty feet over downtown, you can pull it out, point it at your head, and pull the trigger . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

There is, however, still a use for a pistol deployed reserve in BASE jumping. When all is lost and you are passing through that last fifty feet over downtown, you can pull it out, point it at your head, and pull the trigger . . .

*coffee out my nose*
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Back in the early 70s, a guy who jumped at Z-Hills had a large red warning label sewn on the pin protector flap of his Pioneer Pig Rig. It read "CAUTION * Explosive Cutters Installed"

The label (not the reserve), was from a zero/zero ejection system. Kinda made you think for a second before squeezing up behind him for exit :D

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

This small canopy would be the last resort and it could be in a deployment system that can be thrown clear of any mess , would have long lines and would go above and beyond any mess before it would even clear of the deployment bag.

I designed one of those for paragliding back in the early eighties. I was marketed under the Aerolite brand (one of tony Domenico's old co's). I re-designed the system in the mid 90's as a tertiary reserve system for use during the Reflex drop testing program. works like a champ, no control over where you want to go but at least you don't hit the ground hard enough to dent it. It is a free bag deployed design that the user can hurl in any direction he/ she can find clear air to get it in to. The paragliding version had a single 30' (or so) long bridle attachment point so as to allow it to get as far away as possible before inflating. The drop test version was a QAC (quick (relativly speaking)attachable chest) type for easy donning/ detaching and had to have a pretty beefy cross connector fitted. Both work on the same princible. I didn't invent the original concept of the gravity deployed free bag round, I just made it practical, the idea's been around a while.

Mick.

I think we met at Elsinore some years back, and you were showing me that system..

Kind of looked like an old 'Jerry Bird' flat chest pack?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~