RALFFERS

the only thing that has changed (and it sucks!) is that you used to be able to call phones for free - now you need "Skype credit" :|

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

My brother uses it to keep in touch with and see his grandson often on webcam through his computer. He lives on the big island of Hawaii but his stepdaughter and grandson live on Kaui, at the other end of the island chain. He even bought me a new Logitech Pro 9000 webcam, which I've been told is one of the best out there. I have been putting off installing it because the sound system is shot on this computer. He wants to see my daughter every now and then and be able to talk with her. We don't even have a regular phone. We have two video phones that work independently of the computer.

I guess I could go ahead and try it anyway, but there just won't be any sound capabilities.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Skype is a PITA, I use Gizmo5, It was Sipphone way back when. I also have Inphonex.
2 Sipphone accounts and 1 inphonex account attached to IPkall phone numbers with Elastix Running on a Virtual Machine at home.
www.sipphone.com
www.inphonex.com
www.elastix.org
www.ipkall.com

If you care, Elastix is an Asterisk based distro also running FreePBX.

Oh, and I can make free calls to skype users if I really wanted to. AND I never get calls from telemarketers or bill collectors. :)

Please help me to understand if this is a realistic alternative for phone service. Sounds like some people just use it for out-of-country calling.

Is the sound quality much worse than a land/VoIP line?

How does one pay for the service?

If anyone can steer me to a website that would answer such questions that would be great.

Thanks!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Please help me to understand if this is a realistic alternative for phone service. Sounds like some people just use it for out-of-country calling.

If anyone can steer me to a website that would answer such questions that would be great.

Thanks!

I use it quite a bit. Our provincial skydiving organization uses it for conference calls. Those with shitty internet fall out a lot, but other than that it is like being in the room with them.
I have yet to try "skyping out" to a regular phone, or "skyping in" from one.
The text based chat functions are quite good as well (as if anyone needs another chat line).

My experience has been that the sound quality is better than a land line, provided both parties are on a computer. There is a small delay, though.

Some answers
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

the only thing that has changed (and it sucks!) is that you used to be able to call phones for free - now you need "Skype credit" :|

+1 ~ other than that...it's great!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

+1 ~ other than that...it's great!

It was free back when they were trying to get there name out. That was a long time ago and had always said there would be fees later on. I don't use it much because I don't have a need for it. I don't have a land line either.

I use it for my business line everyday. It costs about $30 a year for the phone number and the US based out going phone calls. I have the software running on a computer with a Bluetooth headset on it. If I was going to replace my home phone with Skype I'd look at getting one of the Skype phones that has the software built into them. Those phones will also enable all the phone jacks in your house to work like regular phones again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

whats your cell-number anyway!? :)

tehehheee...why...so you can dd in the middle of the night? :P

There's a breathalyzer on my phone that shuts it off over .1 BAC ;)

(Thats actually a good idea :o )

LOL...my phone goes to silent at night anyway. :P
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492