Andybilly

Uk Winter - Gloves

I use winter Neumanns for cold days, and I add a pair of OR PL-100 Liners When it gets really cold. The feel is still quite good with the winter Neumanns alone, and slightly reduced with the liners inside (but still not bad).

Doing HAHOs in the winter, I wear a pair of Gates ski gloves I've had for 17 years, with liners if the temp at altitude is really cold. Feel is reduced quite a bit, but the gloves have a tacky leather palm and fingers, so am still able to pull any handle I need to. In cases of extremely cold temperatures, you gotta do what you gotta do to stay warm.
Arrive Safely

John

-30C is colder than I've ever jumped. If the gloves are windproof (Gore-Tex, plastic, neoprene, rubber etc.) you can ignore the wind chill effect.
I have a pair of "yachting" gloves, (no, I don't have a yacht :P) that I bought in Australia that I really like for jumping. They're actually "line handling gloves" I think, leather with partial fingers. I like them because I still have a good "feel" and they keep my hands fairly warm. I don't know about using them at -30C, that's instant frostbite territory.

http://www.foulweathergear.com/sailing-gloves/7440.html

Try jumping with your chosen gloves now - in summer to see how much feel you will lose. When winter comes your hackey could be white hot and covered in venomous spikes and you wouldnt feel it for an hour afterwards.;)

I pretty much the same gloves as Vicky and my hands freeze in winter. Not much you can do about it except hibernate.

I pretty much the same gloves as Vicky and my hands freeze in winter. Not much you can do about it except hibernate.

Which is pretty much what I do! :D

I hate winter jumping, but those gloves are the best solution I've found for keeping my hands warm.

Vicki

Neumann tackified gloves are the way to go. :)
As someone else suggested though, jump them now whilst the weathers warm so you get to know how they feel.

Some people at my DZ always jump wearing gloves and when I asked why they said it was because they didn't like transitioning between gloves and no-gloves. Personally I've got no problem, and will jump all day, and put gloves on in the evening if it gets chilly.

You could always borrow someones (loads of people use the Neumann gloves at my DZ) for a jump to see if you like them :)

Once you have gotten used to using the gloves in summer try cutting off the circulation in the plane ride up so that you have no feeling in your hands then get someone to belt the tips of your fingers with mallet and you will have a very realistic scenario of what it will be like jumping in winter. B|