ryoder

The downside of running NO2 injection

Way too much trouble for the momentary thrill.

Hours of ground training... thousands of dollars, all for a 60 second ride... Sound familiar.

Maybe they were just wuffos that had to blow their time and money on something else.:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Was that the result of a pressure relief valve malfunction?:o

Damn, think about when cars go hydrogen fueled.:S

Hydrogen will be safer than that. There are storage cotainers that hold the gas molecules in a solid matrix. You can cut the cylinders in half and put them in a fire without detrimental effects.
You can't use compressed hydrogen in regular cylinders, you can't compress it enough for it to be efficient. You would need huge cylinders to have any kind of range with current internal combustion engine technology.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

Was that the result of a pressure relief valve malfunction?

Damn, think about when cars go hydrogen fueled.

I've had to take classes in tank filling for SCUBA. I've seen pics of explosions that have taken out most of an entire city block (not these little tanks, but really big ones they use for fill-stations).

NO2 isn't really explosive - it acts as an oxidizer to hydrocarbons (i.e. petrol), so this wasn't a combustion reaction. The explosion was entirely due to the pressure in the tank. One compressed scuba tank has enough potential energy to lift a train locomotive 1 foot off the ground - nitrous tanks are usually smaller, but have plenty of stored energy.

So the question is why did the tank rupture? It's likely that the user tampered with the burst valve to render it ineffective. But it could have also been a condemned tank, or been structurally compromised by the owner. Lots of possibilities. Usually, there is an investigation by DOT after a tank explosion.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

..NO2 isn't really explosive - it acts as an oxidizer to hydrocarbons (i.e. petrol)..

first, its N20, second, no, it doesnt, it just fills up the cylinders more with petrol than it normally would - think turbocharger at 4 bar..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Exactly. The worst thing that can happen when Running N2O is for a Fuel Delivery Problem. It leans out and burns the pistons almost instantly.
Almost all NOS kits will use a Hobbs Switch (or Similar) that will break the electrical Connection to the NOS solenoids if there is not adequate fuel pressure.

Go to any drag strip and you will see a lot of guys out there with Propane torches heating up their Bottles before each run.

Never seen one blow up like that one though. I have seen one blow a pressure relief valve for a few seconds.

, it just fills up the cylinders more with petrol than it normally would

Yeah, after looking it up, I see that I am wrong (kinda).

The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures.

I think this qualifies as an oxidizer, though, since it apparently adds oxygen via a chemical reaction. My point was that it was not a combustion explosion - just a tank pressure explosion.

Go to any drag strip and you will see a lot of guys out there with Propane torches heating up their Bottles before each run.

i've always hated that. you're making weak spots by doing that. bottle heaters are fairly inexpensive.

, it just fills up the cylinders more with petrol than it normally would

Yeah, after looking it up, I see that I am wrong (kinda).

The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures.

I think this qualifies as an oxidizer, though, since it apparently adds oxygen via a chemical reaction. My point was that it was not a combustion explosion - just a tank pressure explosion.

it does carry oxygen, but the whole point is also to cool the gas-mixture, together with the higher pressure than ambient air pressure, your engines cylinders get to be better filled..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

it does carry oxygen, but the whole point is also to cool the gas-mixture, together with the higher pressure than ambient air pressure, your engines cylinders get to be better filled..

Sure, it cools the intake charge to a degree. Is that the main reason for running NOX? Nope. The breakdown of NOX provide more oxygen than atmospheric air and allows a higher charge of fuel per cycle, providing more power.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

the cooler air charge is just an advantageous by-product. that's not what's making the extra 300hp. lol. it's the extra oxygen.

I think that's basically what I said above, yes... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

it does carry oxygen,

What I originally said was Nitrous is an oxidizer, and maybe this will settle the discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent

Common oxidizing agents

* Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
* Hypochlorite and other hypohalite compounds such as Bleach
* Iodine and other halogens
* Chlorite, chlorate, perchlorate, and other analogous halogen compounds
* Permanganate salts
* Ammonium cerium(IV) nitrate and probably related Cerium(IV) compounds
* Hexavalent chromium compounds such as chromic and dichromic acids and chromium trioxide, Pyridinium chlorochromate (PCC), and chromate/dichromate compounds
* Peroxide compounds
* Tollens' reagent
* Sulfoxides
* Persulfuric acid
* Ozone
* Osmium tetroxide (OsO4)
* Nitric acid
* Nitrous oxide (N2O)