Muenkel

American Idol 5/12/09

Here's my synopsis. Music tastes are subjective so this is only my opinion.

Once again AI gives Adam the pimp spot and the special lighting. Also gives him very positive critiques that were not necessarily deserved.

Round 1: Judges choice

Daney Gokey: Paula picks some song from Terence Trent D'Arbey that contains 2 or 3 notes tops. Danny does the best he can with that shitty song. Judges views are mixed.

Kris Allen: Randy and Kara choose 'Apologize' by New Republic. Very good performance IMO. Yes, he could have been a little more creative, but he still does it justice. Judges critique is mixed. I'm still trying to figure out the 'bum note' Paula claims he hit. Hey Paula, clean the wax out of your years because he was spot on every note. There wasn't even a pitchy note.

Adam: Simon chooses 'One' by U2. This is probably one of my favorite rock ballads of all time. Adam starts off brilliantly and then changes to his trademark screamfest. If I had a gun I would have shot my TV. IMO, he destroyed a classic song but as the annointed one, the judges all (with the exception of Randy) praise him.

My opinion, round 1 belonged to Kris.

Round 2: Contestant choice. This round proved that the contestants know their vocal abilities better than the judges. All 3 were much improved over Round 1.

Danny Gokey: Absolutely brilliant performance of 'You Are So Beautiful'. Great reviews from all the judges and they were deserved.

Kris Allen: An even more brilliant performance of 'Heartless' by Kanye West. That's right, 'Heartless'! Kris puts his creative genius into action, breaks out his acoustic guitar and does not do a rap version. Excellent reviews from all the judges.

Adam: Does an excellent job of an Aerosmith song (the title escapes me at the moment). Judges love him even more. IMO, his performance was not as good as Danny's and Kris'. Ofcourse Simon has to end his critique with a subtle 'pimp Adam' instruction to the viewing public on how to vote.

My opinion, Round 2 once again belonged to Kris.

So what do you guys think? Also, if you know which note was the bum note in Kris' 1st performance...please let me know.

Chris,

I started watching late....One by Adam. I agree with most of your assessments of the later songs. I found You Are So Beautiful to be a snoozefest. My wife, who loves that sort of song, didn't care for it.

The backup singer on Crying was horrible. I don't know why they even used a backup singer. I found it very distracting.

I'm hoping Gokey goes home.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I like Kris Allen! I like his voice, style, and humble demeanor.
Im NOT a fan of Adam..I know! I know! he has "IT"..but I just dont like the black nails and GOTH look and when he screams..it's like nails on a chalkboard to me..
Even if Adam wins..I think Kris Allen has a GREAT FUTURE AHEAD!
Thats my 2 pennies ;)

Everyone I have talked with about AI says the same thing: "I'm not a fan of Adam. I prefer so and so, but I'm sure Adam will win."

I'm beginning to wonder if Adam will actually win. We don't know. He may not be pulling in the top votes.

Whatever way it turns out, it's Kris Allen's CD that I will be buying.

You've heard of the success of that 4th place Daughtry guy or that 7th place Hudson chick?;)

Danny Hokey - First song was typical Danny Cheese. I an not a fan. Danny has a great career in the gospel circuit ahead of him but I just don't like the guy. The Song choice was horrible and you cant blame him for that but the performance was average at best.

Kris - First Song, I enjoyed it but it was a little bland.

Adam - One - It started out great and ended great but the middle was almost painful.

Round two
Danny - Very predictable Song choice. Well done.

Kris - Kanye West?? -I am watching the show and I hear that whitebread, Midwest, Small town Quite nice guy is going to do Kanye?? WTF!!!
Its over I think. Damn, I liked the guy and hoped he would beat out danny... BUT HIM doing a Kanye song? Stupidest song choice I think I have ever heard on the show. I almost turned off the TV at that point.

And then... Holy Shit!! He walks out with just him and his Guitar. No Band, No Back up. and busts out the best performance of the year.

Kris is absolutely brilliant. I see now exactly why he choose the toned down Piano performance for the for the first song.
The sheer balls it took to walk out just him and his guitar, Take a song that on the surface appeared to be as far from his style as possible and OWN it. Deliver his best performance of the year by far. When Randy Jackson says "Dawg, I like better than the original". Fantastic.
Kris has played this game brilliantly. Kept his head down, Delivered solid performance after solid performance and keeps getting better. He deserves to be in the finals.

Adam - I personally thought the Aerosmith song was Adams weakest performance of the year. I do think he deserves to go on the finals but sorry, All I heard was screeching on that song.

I am really hoping for a Adam - Kris Final but I doubt it will happen.

I agree with you Rky... Neither my fiancee or I like Adam in the least bit... and I really didn't like either of his performances last night... I agree with Chris that the second song (Crying by aerosmith) was very poorly cooreographed with the background vocals overpowering his screaming which is hard to do...

Personally, like Chris... I would buy an album by Kris Allen... and would change the channel if I heard Adam on the radio...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I think Kris has a very good chance of winning. If Gokey goes home tonight I think his supporters would be more likely to support Kris in the finale voting. ( I sure hope Gokey goes home tonight...he should have been gone at least a week ago)

I thought Adam was very gracious to pay a compliment to Kris and Danny at the end of the night. He showed class by doing so.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

No , i don't think he "has it ",,, after the year is over, we'll never hear from him again...Try to imagine what kind of commercial presence he will have,,i don't think there is a market for screaming everything,,,if you bought a cd with every song sceaming and sckreeching like he does, it soon would be at the bottom of your bin. He's a theatre guy and thats it...you'll all see......;)

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

SPOILER ALERT!

I am really hoping for a Adam - Kris Final but I doubt it will happen.

Sometimes you do get what you want.

Gokey is gone..I am happy.
--
Murray

Gokey went out in pure class.

This is my educated guess as to who will win. Barring a major screw up it will be Kris for 2 reasons: 1st being that Kris and Adam were only a million votes apart out of 88 million votes cast. 2nd is that I believe Kris will pick up more Gokey fans than Adam.

I truly believe the AI people underestimated Kris.