auburnguy

Tatto idea

So I am seriously considering getting a tattoo of a main closing pin and a reserve closing pin on my back in the correct places as aligned with my container, along with the date of my first major injury. Looking for feedback.
Stupid idea or greatest idea ever?
FYI I currently have no tattoos.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Im 45 and never ever thought of getting a tat! However i have considered it over the past 6-12 mos.... I remember reading in the bible allllooong time that we were not suppose to mark uP our bodies! I think!:)

So i cant say for what you should or should not do! I just struggle all the time....

I agree with Skymama. It'll be there forever.
If I ever did spend the $$ and tolerate the pain for a tattoo I sure wouldn't put it on my back where I can't see and enjoy it.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Im 45 and never ever thought of getting a tat! However i have considered it over the past 6-12 mos.... I remember reading in the bible allllooong time that we were not suppose to mark uP our bodies! I think!:)

I believe that same passage also says that you shouldn't cut the sides of your hair or trim your beard (Leviticus 19:28). So if you choose to ignore one, why not go all out.

Cool idea for a tattoo though.

Wait until you have 500 jumps and then see if you still want it.

I don't really agree with that... Skydiving, even if someone leaves the sport before 500 jumps, will always be a part of you. There's something about jumping that changes people, and whether you have 5 jumps or 500, it's something you take with you forever.

Not a bad idea! :)
I have to agree with Nightingale. Skydiving is a part of you no matter how many jumps you have. I have a 'skydiving' related tattoo as a tramp stamp, but I don't have that many jumps. I plan on getting a closing pin tattoo soon on my other ass cheek with Dave's initials in the middle (and of couse BSBD or RIP in it). Even though he is gone now, he was a part of me as well.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

So I am seriously considering getting a tattoo of a main closing pin and a reserve closing pin on my back in the correct places as aligned with my container, along with the date of my first major injury. Looking for feedback.

First major injury? Are you saying you've had more than one major injury in that number of jumps, or are you planning on another one? :o

I always get a kick out of these conversations since the majority of the time they are by people with under 100 jumps that are fresh in the sport.

People argue that no matter how many jumps or what ever they feel like they want a skydiving tattoo because its changed them. The same arguement could be held for anyone that has ever got a ticket asking to get a police shield tattoo or anyone thats ever been to NYC getting a 9/11 tattoo or anyone who knows someone in the military getting a military tattoo. As long as you are able to justify it or just think its an interesting design there is nothing stopping you from getting anything you want. Is it something that you want to show your grandkids in 50 years? That is another story.

I'm like Tonto in that I'm yet to get a tattoo since I'm just not sure skydiving is something that I am into enough to have inked onto me forever. Ask me again in 10 years if I am still even skydiving then and I might be willing to think about one but at this point I'm just not into skydiving enough to do it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't really agree with that... Skydiving, even if someone leaves the sport before 500 jumps, will always be a part of you. There's something about jumping that changes people, and whether you have 5 jumps or 500, it's something you take with you forever.

And if you get to 500 jumps and somehow lose interest in the sport, you get stuck with the tattoo... Depending on the location, it can hurt job prospects, if anything.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm like Tonto in that I'm yet to get a tattoo since I'm just not sure skydiving is something that I am into enough to have inked onto me forever. Ask me again in 10 years if I am still even skydiving then and I might be willing to think about one but at this point I'm just not into skydiving enough to do it.

If all you plan on is one Tattoo, I would agree with you. But as most will tell you. Tattoos are addictive.

I got my first Tattoo over 20 years ago. A few years later, I got a Girlfriends Face Tattooed on my Arm. Never regretted it for a minute even though I havent seen her years. Got several others over the years. Never regretted a single one even though a couple were very spur of the moment.
I now have 3 Ring Releases Tattooed on my chest and I am working on a design for my next Tattoo that will be a tribute to friends I lost in this sport.
Each Tattoo represents a point in time in my Life. Generally a Happy time in my life. Even though situations may change, Those Tattoo are are great reminders of how good life can be.

And if you get to 500 jumps and somehow lose interest in the sport, you get stuck with the tattoo... Depending on the location, it can hurt job prospects, if anything.

Even if you lose interest in the sport, being a skydiver is something you're always going to take with you. Like with any body art, if you put it in a location that will hurt your job prospects, that's the penalty you pay for being dumb and not thinking ahead.

Like with any body art, if you put it in a location that will hurt your job prospects, that's the penalty you pay for being dumb and not thinking ahead.

My tats are very well hidden except the one on my ankle. I agree with you 100% of making sure you put it in a place that you're happy with but won't hurt job prospects. My full-time job has no issues with my ankle tattoo, but my part-time job does. I just wear pants. Problem solved. If you lose a job because of where you stuck it, that's your problem.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I now have 3 Ring Releases Tattooed on my chest

---------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a pic of that one?

Here is mine, I thought it came out pretty cool. We have a guy at our DZ who owns a few tatto shops. Yes they are addictive. I'd like to get another, but I'm not really sure what I want so I guess it will wait awhile til I figure it out.