Gawain

How Long Do You Keep Food in Your Fridge??

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/bizarre&id=6810332

ROTTEN OFFICE FOOD

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Think your office fridge smells bad? Seven people in Northern California were sent to a hospital because of noxious fumes from the clean-up of a refrigerator full of rotten food. Firefighters had to evacuate the AT&T building in downtown San Jose yesterday. The hazmat team was even called in. Food had been crammed into an unplugged fridge, so one of the workers decided to clean it out. The combination of cleaning chemicals and rotting lunches caused nearly 30 people to suffer vomiting and nausea. But authorities say the woman who did the actually cleaning wasn't overcome. It seems she suffers from allergies and didn't smell a thing.

Holy rotting donkey carcass batman!! :o:o:o :D:D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yup, the fridges at work can get pretty damn nasty!

I try to go shopping every 3 or 4 days and only buy enough to last a few days. So Its pretty rare that anything is in my fridge for more than a week.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

ROTTEN OFFICE FOOD

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Think your office fridge smells bad? Seven people in Northern California were sent to a hospital because of noxious fumes from the clean-up of a refrigerator full of rotten food. Firefighters had to evacuate the AT&T building in downtown San Jose yesterday. The hazmat team was even called in. Food had been crammed into an unplugged fridge, so one of the workers decided to clean it out. The combination of cleaning chemicals and rotting lunches caused nearly 30 people to suffer vomiting and nausea. But authorities say the woman who did the actually cleaning wasn't overcome. It seems she suffers from allergies and didn't smell a thing.

Holy rotting donkey carcass batman!! :o:o:o:D:D:D

Usually just a couple days... any more than that.. it goes to the freezer before it spoils for meat. Veggies.. depends.

After a couple days in the fridge for left overs....... and I dont get to it.. it goes to the dogs...

My mother was horrible for leaving things in the fridge till they looked like science experiments...:o

The company I last worked for, in my department, we had a rule regarding the refrigerator. It had to be cleaned out every Friday. Worked great!

Personally, we're notorious for not finishing off leftovers. If a leftover dish isn't consumed within a week, it gets tossed. Any perishables with a due date on it, gets tossed the day after. We waste a lot of onions though. I keep buying the 5 lb bags of onions, but we never use them all up and sometimes they sit in the crisper drawer up to a month or two. I've got to start buying individual onions from now on. We do just buy a few fresh vegetables at a time so we can be sure we are able to consume them before they spoil.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I like to clean out my fridge every few days, I like to cook with fresh meat/seafood/etc...vegetables. :)
Now I can't help it when my mom comes over....she stuffed lots of things in my fridge & there are things that I don't even recognize [unsure]. I usually toss them out as soon as she leaves.

"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Jarred condiments, whole-grain flours stay in there a long durn time. We tend to eat the other stuff before it goes bad. Of course, we both cook quite a bit, so we're always looking for ways to use that little piece of green pepper with the rest of the ginger :ph34r:.

The one other thing that lives for a really long time in my fridge is beer; we both prefer wine, so it just kind of stays and stays.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The one other thing that lives for a really long time in my fridge is beer; so it just kind of stays and stays.

Wendy P.

I use beer to steam/cook seafood with....it brings out the freshness in anything seafood...shrimp/crab/etc. with sliced up ginger.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

The company I last worked for, in my department, we had a rule regarding the refrigerator. It had to be cleaned out every Friday. Worked great!

Personally, we're notorious for not finishing off leftovers. If a leftover dish isn't consumed within a week, it gets tossed. Any perishables with a due date on it, gets tossed the day after. We waste a lot of onions though. I keep buying the 5 lb bags of onions, but we never use them all up and sometimes they sit in the crisper drawer up to a month or two. I've got to start buying individual onions from now on. We do just buy a few fresh vegetables at a time so we can be sure we are able to consume them before they spoil.

Uh Billy.... dear....

Why not getr a couple of BIG pots... like plastic 55 gallon drums cut them in half..... fill them with good topsoil dirt.. and plant some onions.. you can get little ones.... and grow your own. You can even plant the ones you get in the bag.. and let them grow.

Then just pull one up as you need it.

I have shallots... garlic... and onions.. in pots.... it works great.. year round..

ROTTEN OFFICE FOOD

But authorities say the woman who did the actually cleaning wasn't overcome. It seems she suffers from allergies and didn't smell a thing.

I question whether the "woman who actually did the cleaning" ACTUALLY did the cleaning! Wow. I'd hate to see her house.
TPM Sister #102

Why not getr a couple of BIG pots... like plastic 55 gallon drums cut them in half..... fill them with good topsoil dirt.. and plant some onions.. you can get little ones.... and grow your own. You can even plant the ones you get in the bag.. and let them grow.

OMG I'm *so* going to do that :)
As for me I do little shops and cook any meat/fish the same night I buy it. Then I use the leftover meat in a pie or currie or pasta dish.. I have much more of a problem for running out of food.. I hate shopping (and this includes groceries), so I will use *everything* up until I realise that I'm running out of my emergency pasta/rice!!! Ha ha ha!

I have my own mini-fridge at work and I have a rule: if you wanna put your food in it, expect that after a week I will either eat it myself or throw it out!!! If people get pissed off about it, I tell them they can bring in their own damn fridge!! Mould is icky!! :S

Edit: spelling :$
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

It will often stay in the fridge long enough to grow sentient. When it actually speaks to me I get rid of it. No one likes talking old food.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

one week dude and then it is done! except the stables of course Mayo, butter, marachino cherries, Whip cream should be thrown on the date indicated. Also you got the special coffee creamers too. Those have dates on them too, and salad dressings have throw dates too. Office refridgerators are like Bill Nye the science guy stuff. Use gloves when disposing of the decomposing- Clothspin if you gotta- have fun cleaning that fridge out-Caress:S

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.