nigel99

New Bike choice?

I have a Fazer 600 that I've had for 5 years and am thinking about replacing. It was the perfect bike when I rode 100 miles a day on the motorways. Circumstances have changed and I now only do about 5 miles a day with the occasional 50-100 mile ride - daily commute is very heavy traffic.

I am in two minds:
1) R6 or CBR600RR, both are lighter than the Fazer, but less manoeuvrable and are more "fun" when I want a weekend blast.

2) 250/400CC road legal trail bike. Much easier on the daily commute than anything else, I would feel more relaxed in the cold (I ride through the snow/frost season here in the UK) as it a smaller bike to drop pickup. Not the same rush as a sports bike for weekend rides, and also not as capable on the motorway when needed. (Contrary to the popular myth a 250 trail bike is fine at 70 - believe me a mate is 6ft 4" and "large" and rode a 125 on the motorways)

I am definitely not into litre bikes, cruisers (yank tanks:D) or naked bikes. A newer Fazer isn't really an option as a mate had one and it is not as nice as my model (so I would be better off keeping what I have). I am on the small side so I prefer lighter and smaller bikes (triumph's etc seem to be quite heavy and or tall)

I would appreciate any comments from bikers?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

That's a very tough question! The beauty of it is, there's so many really nice bikes out there and they come in all shapes and sizes. No one can make this decision for you. Find one that twists your throttle and go for it. It's all good as long as your riding!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

5 miles = bicycle distance:P

= smelly bastard with the hills.

If I could convince the wife I'd get an old 125 trail bike and keep my current bike for fun rides and distance.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'd have another (had 2) R6 in a heart beat.

but as you say, a little trail'y would do the commute for you and be a bit of fun too. I wouldn't go as small as a 125 but a 175 (I started riding one one ....XXX years ago) would put a smile on your face.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

When you're old and knackered like me, sports bikes are a major pain if you have to do more than a few miles. Plus they only really become fun at non-legal speeds.

That said, a mate of mine has a Fireblade and a supermoto'd XR400 and the XR is faster for most applications (and arguably more fun)

So I'd go for a Speed Triple.:P

This is the exact issue. The R6 and CBR are built for high speed turns, like 80mph+. You are not going to enjoy commuting with them, they are not particularly comfortable. Your FZR is built for more moderate speeds, making it more comfortable and easier to ride. You commute sounds perfect for a motard style bike, such as the DRZ400. They are dirt bikes, that have different rims and street tires, along with suspension tuned for the street. They handle average freeway speeds just fine, but are really made for around town fun.

http://www.bikebros.co.jp/images/wallpaper/daytona/suzuki_drz400_1024.jpg

I've been riding a BMW 1150 RT quite a bit recently and I've been VERY impressed. Its amazing what this bike can do in terms of handling and the ridability is very nice. It may be more bike then you're looking for, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

V-Strom. Just a nice all around bike. It's based on the SV650, but has a little more ground clearance, and different gearing to make it more of a sport touring bike. Still sporty enough (for me at least) to have fun in the twisties. Plenty of power, even out here in Colorado. I wish Colorado had a longer riding season...
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

This is the exact issue. The R6 and CBR are built for high speed turns, like 80mph+. You are not going to enjoy commuting with them, they are not particularly comfortable. Your FZR is built for more moderate speeds, making it more comfortable and easier to ride. You commute sounds perfect for a motard style bike, such as the DRZ400. They are dirt bikes, that have different rims and street tires, along with suspension tuned for the street. They handle average freeway speeds just fine, but are really made for around town fun.

http://www.bikebros.co.jp/images/wallpaper/daytona/suzuki_drz400_1024.jpg

The bike shop offered to do me a direct trade for this bike. Maybe I will take it for a test ride. I know what you mean about the full sports bikes (brother in law had a Kawasaki ZX-10R that he rode into central london every day).

In heavy traffic on the small roads the kids on mopeds are alot more manouvarable and therefore quicker than the Fazer (might also be that 17 olds have no concept of dangerB|), but as mentioned in the first post most of my time is short commute. The cars are at walking speed in my direction and ~40mph in the oncoming direction, typical UK village town roads so not alot of space.

UPDATE**
I was just looking at the Kawasaki website and it appears that they have introduced the Ninja 250 in the UK (no more old grey imports) http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Ninja250R I will be seeing if the local Kwak dealer has a demo bike this weekend.

Whoo hoo, I love sv-650s, they are sweet, my brother has one and I ride it fairly often. Probably going to buy one before long. The V-stroms are also very very cool. Both bikes are going to be similar in weight to what you have though, and if I knew for sure I was going to be doing short distance commutes, I would sacrifice top speed for lighter weight. That is why I was suggesting the motard. The ninja 250s just recently were redesigned, I would stick with the older design simply because of the availability of parts, they made a TON of them over the years. It will feel like a light weight version of your bike, with lots less power though. The big single cylinder bikes will actually make more torque right off the get go than yours, but the 4 cylinders will quickly produce more hp. If you are doing stop and go or slow speed though, bottom end torque and light weight are where the fun is!

UPDATE**
I was just looking at the Kawasaki website and it appears that they have introduced the Ninja 250 in the UK (no more old grey imports) http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Ninja250R I will be seeing if the local Kwak dealer has a demo bike this weekend.

Hmmmm .... considering the audience the choice seems simple ... Suzuki Hayabusa

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Hayabusa/2009/GSX1300R.aspx

Dodge Viper VS Suzuki Hayabusa - any time you can blow off a Supercharged Viper ... :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/92354/dodge_viper_vs_suzuki_hayabusa/

Watch this video … listen to the wind rushing past as the speedo clears 300 Kph !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a2cgi0IOY&feature=related

I'm gonna bet that riding the 'busa to work will extend you morning commute …

Yea you're right … it's not the best bike for the daily commute ... and it would suck in heavy traffic but it’s sure good for that morning Adeline jolt. Never can tell ... it might be better then extramaritial sex, you get the thrilll without the risk of STD's :o
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different