skymama

Do you "get" Twitter?

Twitter is very useful in certain situations. I work in the traffic reporting business and we "follow" the Texas Department of Tansportation on twitter. Every time there is construction scheduled or a major problem on a TxDot managed roadway, they "tweet" it, and we get it when we sign into our twitter page.

It's nice because we don't have to rely on being on a mail list. We just go to our twitter homepage and all the latest updates from them (and other traffic data sources) are there waiting for us.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

At a MUCH higher level (like celebs and politicians), it allows them to directly communicate with thousands of people instantly without any filter or cost (other than paying their publicists that usually actually do it).

Rumor has it that Jennifer Anniston broke up with John Mayer because he was spending too much time on Twitter. Who knows if it is true or not, but if it is...what an idiot he is. He had Jennifer Anniston!

I heard that story, that was funny. I can understand spending too much time, what with a twitter account dedicated to funny obituaries. That's full of win right there.

Gus Cifelli 84. Football player and judge, he spent most of his life on the bench

It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

I'm sure I speak for all of your stalkers when I say we really would like to know where you are, and what you are doing, every minute.

With video, please ;)

I don't even get Facebook. Too much stuff on one page. I'm slowly warming up to LinkedIn.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I don't even get Facebook. Too much stuff on one page. I'm slowly warming up to LinkedIn.

I haven't signed up for any of the post-all-my-private-info-to-the-world sites, but I am having second thoughts about LinkedIn;

Cisco just stole our best network engineer; They found him through LinkedIn.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I know the site, I know what it is and I know it's all the rage...but I just don't get it. Why would I want to know what you're doing every few minutes? I don't want to know what I'm doing every few minutes!

Someone who is into it, please enlighten me.

I dunno too much about twitter but if i read one more article that contains the word 'tweet' I will 100% be fired from my job for

A. wasting company time looking at garbage at work.

B. Trying to explain to my boss why my computer screens suddenly found themselves being smashed to oblivion, with a baseball bat, on a viral video, being sent via 'Tweets' saying "oh, dude I just watched this vid of this guy going postal on his comp, saying how much he hates twitter... that dude has issues" (read that in your best spicoli voice)
"Its such a beautiful day outside, we should thank the leader."

"The leader? Who the hell is that? Some sort of leader?" -Homer Simpson.

Rumor has it that Jennifer Anniston broke up with John Mayer because he was spending too much time on Twitter. Who knows if it is true or not, but if it is...what an idiot he is. He had Jennifer Anniston!

And we've seen in the past that she's a great path to much better things...;)

I have NO idea what Twitter is for - it actually irritates me to think of people spending so much time sharing what they're up to when they could be getting up to it instead. The 'virtualization' of everything is pretty sad really. I'd rather have a shitty real day than a great virtual one anytime. Having said that I'd better log off Dropzone and actually DO something eh?

I saw that and wondered if the casket would have a crust on it and a tinfoil base or if he'd get a massive cornish pasty shaped one - only joking OK... Really though - what a sad way to go - surrounded by pie filling. Why on earth would a pie factory explode? It says the Police are not treating it as supicious but I'd be pretty cirumspect about eating a pie from there now...

Why on earth would a pie factory explode?

First thing that pops into my mind is flour. Fine dust (in this case flour) mixed with the correct concentration of air plus an open flame or errant electrical spark equals BOOM!
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Thanks David - I hadn't woken up enough to have that cross my mind, you're absolutely right, the flour dust could ignite like it has done in flour mills. I suppose I hadn't even considered the possibility they would make the crust there too. I'm a bit thick in the morning...!:$

Lots of reasons for it, m'dear.

1) Updates in immediacy. I run Help A Reporter Out. I connect journalists with sources around the world, all free. When journalists have urgent queries that can't wait for email, the Interruptive technology of Twitter (to cell phones, to berries, to text, to IM, all in one unit) proves massively invaluable - CNN can get to my 38,000 followers in one heartbeat, and get their answers.

2) Answers in immediacy. From "What's the guy who played the father in "Eight is Enough?" to "I'm at the corner of 9th and 48th - is there a good Mexican place around here," it's universal Google - but from an audience who knows me a little better than Google, so the answers are better, and more personalized.

3) It's amusement: "Overheard @ bar from drunk blonde: So yeah, remember that guy who I hooked up with who had the penis that looked like a carrot?" Sharing that is fun - people find it amusing, it's opening up a window into your world that otherwise wouldn't exist.

4) (One of the most important) It's immediate brand management for companies, celebrities, brands, and yes, even regular people. Follow ComCastCares on Twitter - the next time your Comcast cable goes out, or the cable guy is two hours late, Tweet them. They'll respond within seconds and fix the problem. Last time that "within seconds" and "cable company" were used in the same sentence? I think.. never. All brands can use Twitter Search and search on their company name, CEO's name, product names, etc. In fact, they're complete idiots if they don't. It's an immediate, free focus group. It's total competitive intelligence, all for the taking.

5) It's quicker news than the news. Twitter broke the Hudson River flight, twitter broke the Angels' player death. If someone shows up in the search feature under "trending" and they've not been there recently, they've either died or gotten arrested.

6) Finally, it's fun! Search on some terms that interest you, then start following those people. You might make some new friends, or find people waiting at the same airport, delayed just like you are. Instant drinking companion. :)
Hope that helps!

Peter

http://www.twitter.com/skydiver

Brilliant!! i love the eyeglasses updates... 'putting socks on'

this is exactly how i think of twitter.

shttr. :D sorry to anyone that feels a need for a phone capable of updating twitter all the time but really, come onnn!! it's insane.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

I know the site, I know what it is and I know it's all the rage...but I just don't get it. Why would I want to know what you're doing every few minutes? I don't want to know what I'm doing every few minutes!

Someone who is into it, please enlighten me.

I'm not sure if I 'get it' either.

But as an experiment I set up SkydiveHistory as a handle.

All I'm going to do is open up a mag or book most mornings and post some obscure history factoid.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I actually heard what I thought was a good use of Twitter the other day from a teacher. He tweets what the class is learning and doing throughout the day. When the parents ask, "what did you do all day" the normal reply is "nothing". Now the parents can say, "how was that test on fractions" or "I heard Timmy brought his rabbit in today." Pretty cool!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Do you "get" Twitter?

I did once - but the doctor gave me some pills and it cleared right up and didn't come back.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I actually heard what I thought was a good use of Twitter the other day from a teacher. He tweets what the class is learning and doing throughout the day. When the parents ask, "what did you do all day" the normal reply is "nothing". Now the parents can say, "how was that test on fractions" or "I heard Timmy brought his rabbit in today." Pretty cool!

I saw that on Good Morning America. Great idea!
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I first heard about Twitter when it became one of our company's key strategies for "new" forms of advertising.. I was embarrassed, because I consider our *company* to be pretty behind the times and here *I* had never heard about it!!

I don't really "get it", but I can imagine that it could become a very powerful communication tool over time. It probably already is, but I don't think it's quite mainstream yet.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss