JENNR8R

Math Puzzle

The error is believing that the original equation is correct. It is, of course, designed to trick you. In one of my incarnations I taught fifth grade math. Kids who can do basic computations often become baffled when confronted with word problems.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Undoubtedly, he has other strengths that come naturally to him that you may have a problem with.

actually, no. this guy was really really dumb. i was amazed that he was able to make it to work each day. someone once made a joke about incest and he went on a really loud, really angry rant about how sometimes the nearest women is many miles away and if she happens to be your cousin then too bad, you take what you can get. obviously a nerve was touched there.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

What part of that are you having trouble with? :S It's really, really simple.

On the contrary... It is not at all simple for someone who is bad at math fundamental logic. This is an excellent example of different learning styles. :)

It's not even a question of maths, it's a question of fundamental logic vs gullibility.

Think about the question. Why should the combined cost of the hotel room and the tip have to reach $30 when you've already given part of that $30 away? You don't even need to use arithmetic to figure out that the question doesn't make sense - it's nonsensical at first glance.

Okay, have it your way. Not everyone is good at fundamental logic. :)
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My Dad has been telling this joke for my whole life. You're not the only one who gets tricked by how it's worded, believe me!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Undoubtedly, he has other strengths that come naturally to him that you may have a problem with.

actually, no. this guy was really really dumb. i was amazed that he was able to make it to work each day. someone once made a joke about incest and he went on a really loud, really angry rant about how sometimes the nearest women is many miles away and if she happens to be your cousin then too bad, you take what you can get. obviously a nerve was touched there.

Now that is just scary... What else will he justify? [:/]
ones? -- Monday.

All you had to do was ask grannyinthesky....:P

She loves those math problems.....:D

Yeah, but she's off playing with her new rig... and trying like crazy to get that new canopy in the bag! :D
ones? -- Monday.

All you had to do was ask grannyinthesky....:P

She loves those math problems.....:D

Yeah, but she's off playing with her new rig... and trying like crazy to get that new canopy in the bag! :D

:D:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Can't believe Trophy-Dude actually reenacted that for a work colleague!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

what else was i going to do, i didn't have access to dz.com.:D

I once tried to explain something at work and *everyone* was against me.. See if you can follow my logic:

I proposed that not all dictionary's are created equal.. I further suggested that people seem to assume that just because something has been published in a book, it has to be true/accurate. I gave an example of the word "explain", which according to one dictionary meant "to make understandable".

And I went on to say that this is not really *strictly* true, since you can explain all day and not make it any more understandable.. I suggested that a *good* dictionary might say that to explain is "an attempt to make understandable", which would be more accurate.

My co-workers ALL jumped in to fault my logic.. They ALL agreed that my definition of explain was incorrect according to the dictionary!!! :S:ph34r::ph34r: Sheesh!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Can't believe Trophy-Dude actually reenacted that for a work colleague!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

what else was i going to do, i didn't have access to dz.com.:D

I once tried to explain something at work and *everyone* was against me.. See if you can follow my logic:

I proposed that not all dictionary's are created equal.. I further suggested that people seem to assume that just because something has been published in a book, it has to be true/accurate. I gave an example of the word "explain", which according to one dictionary meant "to make understandable".

And I went on to say that this is not really *strictly* true, since you can explain all day and not make it any more understandable.. I suggested that a *good* dictionary might say that to explain is "an attempt to make understandable", which would be more accurate.

My co-workers ALL jumped in to fault my logic.. They ALL agreed that my definition of explain was incorrect according to the dictionary!!! :S:ph34r::ph34r: Sheesh!!

:o Wow! You should have them read this post because everyone knows that if it's on the internet it must be true. :D
ones? -- Monday.

/i]!!! :S:ph34r::ph34r: Sheesh!!

:o Wow! You should have them read this post because everyone knows that if it's on the internet it must be true. :D

I just thought it was funny that the very source I was disputing is what they used to "prove" I was wrong!! :D:D

And everyone thought *I* was being stupid..!

Edit to say: This was one of those very rare cases when it really was *everyone else* who was wrong!! :ph34r:
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I can see that discussion lasting a loooooonge time because some people just like to argue. I'll bet you could cause continued heated debate any time you wanted just by bringing up the subject.
ones? -- Monday.

I love these things cuz people get heated over them..... there never is one dollar how the riddle is word is meant for you to mix up the addition and subtraction..... the guys originally paid 30 dollars then the clerk said it was to much and gave 5 to the bell hop but the guys wouldnt be able to split a 5 dollar bill so the bell hop made change but only gave the men 3 leaving him 2 that is 5... but where its confused is the guys think they paid 27 but they never did... if they got a receipt for there room it would say 25... so then they would say well wait we only got three dollars back 25 plus 3 is 28 they would say where is my two dollars cuz 28+2 is 30 so there is no missing dollar its there to confuse you

I can see that discussion lasting a loooooonge time because some people just like to argue. I'll bet you could cause continued heated debate any time you wanted just by bringing up the subject.

I had to let it go, because people were getting upset that *I* didn't understand!!! :S[:/]

Oh well. I'm not sure why people get so mad about stuff that really isn't important at all??! Like your math question. I'm an accountant, and even though *I* think it's obvious, I can see how it would confuse people - it's designed to confuse!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Submitted for your consideration:

If someone is "making something understandable" to someone, they are explaining it. But, if what they are saying is not making the subject understandable, then are they still explaining it, or are they attempting to explain it? I guess I wonder (because I don't know the answer), does the true definition of "explain" lie in the process or the result?

I think these subjects are fun for discussion, but it really only matters what someone thinks it means, because the true purpose of language is to communicate a thought from one person to another...if that is accomplished, then it really doesn't matter what the book says.

-S

Submitted for your consideration:

If someone is "making something understandable" to someone, they are explaining it. But, if what they are saying is not making the subject understandable, then are they still explaining it, or are they attempting to explain it? I guess I wonder (because I don't know the answer), does the true definition of "explain" lie in the process or the result?

I think these subjects are fun for discussion, but it really only matters what someone thinks it means, because the true purpose of language is to communicate a thought from one person to another...if that is accomplished, then it really doesn't matter what the book says.

-S

In my opinion, some people are *better* at explaining than others.. But the poor quality of the explanation (or low intelligence of the listener) doesn't negate the fact that it's still "explaining", even if done badly.

Put another way: what is it if you're *not* making something understandable? Just talking? :ph34r::ph34r:

Edit: that's still not the point I was trying to make.. Which was that some dictionary's are better than others. If you think about it, it's statistically improbable that they're all equally good...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

In my opinion, some people are *better* at explaining than others.. But the poor quality of the explanation (or low intelligence of the listener) doesn't negate the fact that it's still "explaining", even if done badly.

But if you have not been able to make the person understand, would you not say you have failed to explain it to them?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

But if you have not been able to make the person understand, would you not say you have failed to explain it to them?

I think you have failed in your objective, but you still carried out the act of explaining.

If you didn't enjoy yourself - is it still called sex?!! :ph34r::ph34r::P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I got your point, just thought it was an interesting question for discussion and I'm bored. :)

And yes, I believe that if you are not actually making the subject understandable that you are, in fact, just talking. ;-p

If you didn't enjoy yourself - is it still called sex?!!

Well, there have been one or two that I would really like to deny the validation, but yes. :S:D

-S

Hi JENN,

So is this some prep work for your upcoming CPA exam? B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) I have a former wife who was a great teacher but really could barely add 2 + 2. [:/] Ya gotta go with your strengths. :P

Would you be surprised to learn that as the office manager for my company I have been doing the bookkeeping for the last 27 years... and that I'm really good at it? :D:D:D
ones? -- Monday.

Hi JENN,

So is this some prep work for your upcoming CPA exam? B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) I have a former wife who was a great teacher but really could barely add 2 + 2. [:/] Ya gotta go with your strengths. :P

Would you be surprised to learn that as the office manager for my company I have been doing the bookkeeping for the last 27 years... and that I'm really good at it? :D:D:D

Not at all - I know loads of accountants who whip out the calculator for 2+2!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss