JENNR8R

Math Puzzle

All I'm thinking about is that these three dudes were apparently checking into a pretty sleazy motel together.

$30 a night? Yikes!

Elvisio "gruesome threesome" Rodriguez

Don't forget the desk clerk thought $30 was too much and refunded $5! :o

It may not be nearly as bad as it sounds since this puzzle has been in my junk drawer for over 40 years. I'm sure with inflation the room today would be at least "We'll Leave the Light on For You" expensive. :D
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

It's funny to see the different ways that people are trying to explain this. I agree that the faulty logic is the adding of 2 to 27, because that makes no sense. The men gave $30 (3x$10) and they got $3 back ($1 each, so now they've each paid $9 - 3x$9 = $27). So those 3 dollars are accounted for, and now we're left with the $27 that they paid. 25 went to the desk clerk and 2 went to the bellboy (25+2= 27), so now those 27 dollars are accounted for. 27+3=30, so nothing's missing.

Yeah, I know you already figured it out, but this is the way that I explained it to myself. :)

Hi JENN & Nataly,

Here's one for you ( it also is 'rather' old ):

Business owner was looking to hire an accountant so he put an ad in the newspaper.

Three guys applied.

He called them in one at a time for an interview.

He asked the first one 'What is 2 + 2?' & the guy said '4.'

The owner said 'Thank you.'

He asked the second one 'What is 2 + 2?' & the guy said 'It could be 4 or it could be 22.'

The owner said 'Thank you.'

He asked the third one 'What is 2 + 2?' & the guy said 'What do you want it to be?'

The owner said 'You're hired!'

B|

JerryBaumchen

Yeah.. One of the guys from Skydive Moncton (where I did my first couple of jumps) used to tell that one a lot.

I think most accountants would just answer: "it's 4, obviously!" and think the interviewer must be a fucking moron for not knowing that!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------------
All you had to do was ask grannyinthesky....

She loves those math problems.....
------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, but she's off playing with her new rig... and trying like crazy to get that new canopy in the bag!

That is where I was and I did figure out how to pack that thing. Now if I ca just figure out how to land it and be on my feet. :$
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

i was on a job once where a guy insisted that it was a math anomily and that mathematics was full of them. because of this he discounted all of science. i spent a couple of hours trying to explain this to him. i even made 30 fake dollar bills and got some co workers to play the part of the customers, bellboy, and clerk. when it was all done he could physically see where all of the dollars were. he still wasn't wouldn't believe me.

I hope he wasn't allowed to breed. This is almost as bad as the Verizon customer service "math" fiasco.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes