tbrown

5.0 Shaker in So Cal

We just had a 5.0 shaker in the LA area tonight. Centered right around LAX. Felt pretty good in Orange County and it went on for a bit, seemed to stop, then went on a little more.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I was on the phone with my Mom when it hit, and she said it was a pretty good roller. She lives by the 405 and Santa Monica Blvd.

Hope everyone is ok.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

down here in san diego, heard some reports of people feeling it, but i didn't. however, the dogs were strangely restless this evening, to the point we had to put them outside so they could pace around without bothering us.

They knew something was up!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Felt it here. Only small, loooong rolling though.

Sheesh... all these people complining..... some people pay good money for a little ride and excitement.

and some are just forced into service;)
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

We just had a 5.0 shaker in the LA area tonight. Centered right around LAX. Felt pretty good in Orange County and it went on for a bit, seemed to stop, then went on a little more.

When I first saw this thread line, I swore it was one of these....

http://www.motorator.com/uploads/blog_images/0000/0565/2010_Mustang_Shaker_3.jpg
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I was putting Lauren in her car seat, so I didn't feel it until Holly said , "an earthquake" . had to step away from the car and stand still, felt the rolling waves under my feet.

funny thing was the kids in my parent's neighbor's house started screaming bloody murder.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

THAT was a 4.1? Seemed so weak in comparison to the 5.0. Hope you have your life preservers ready. We could fall off into the ocean any day now! :D

You do know the Richter scale is logarithmic right... ther eis a lot of difference in force from a 4.1 and a 5.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is about 6.8.

I didn't feel the one today, but I was out in San Jacinto. (And I'm glad I didn't feel it, because I was handling dangerous chemicals at the time.) I think the one on Sunday turned out to be a 4.7, but I felt it pretty good at my house in Murrieta. Not particularly strong, but it seemed longer than usual - a little rollercoaster ride. :P