fmmobley

New canopy packing problem

My brand new ZP canopy has totally whipped my ass. I cannot get it in the D bag.

I know it can be done. I have six jumps on it and have had people pack it for me.

Sunday two people worked with me and I thought I would be able to do it. Last night in my air conditioned home I pulled it out tried many times and COULD NOT pack it. Very frustrating and tired today with only 3 hours of sleep.

How long will it be before it is easier to pack? Any tips or tricks on how to get it in the bag would be appreciated.
... Marion

I feel your pain[:/] i had the same problem with my new canopy to me "NO WAY IS IT GOING IN THEIR" came to mind. On top off this, it could only be pro packed :o and guess what i only new how to flat pack:(:(. So i had to learn how to pack it as well as get it in a stupidly small bag.

The fun part was 1st time to the dz everyone wanted to try and get it in the bag :D Instructors,riggers, jumpers only one really experienced packer managed:P.

the moral here is find out who can get it in the bag:)PACK BITCH:D:D:D:D:D

i can know get it in the bag in 20 mins without sweating after only 30 odd packs, it will loosen up quick enough so don't worry about it ;)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Packing new canopies is a bitch. I've got 50 pack jobs on my new ZP and it is still hard to bag. Anyway here is what I do hope it helps.

While I'm still lying on it, I get the nose all rolled in under the attachement point for the bag tight enough to get it all in one hand. I then make the top S fold (I dont s fold the tail firstt) while still holding the nose tightly rolled with one hand and then apply some light pressure down on fold to hold it together. Using my free hand I start working the bag over the fold. If it's too wide for the bag I may have to put one corner in and roll the other corner a bit to work it in to the bag. I keep working the canopy into the bag until it is into all corners and then rotate bag upand place between my knees. I tidy the original S fold up (using both hands) and then S fold the tail into the bag. Hopefully I have a reasonably tidy package that I can get the first stow on. Once the first stow is on I tidy it up a bit more if necessary and then carry on stowing the lines.

Not sure if I've got all the steps in on this. First 10 pack jobs were the hardest - after that I kind of put together something that worked from all the advice given to me by other people at the DZ and it got easier.

Start searching first:

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1321321;#1321321
I`m sorry I don`t have pictures about my method.

I used a carpet under it because its really slippery on the floor. You have 2 hands, 2 legs , so used them as much you can.

-Do regular propack until you wrap the tail around the canopy and the slider.
-Grab the covered slider with your left.
-Roll the tail -and just the tail- tight and keep it tight with right hand. Roll it against your hip/leg.
-Put it on the floor.
-Now you are holding the roll with your left and pull it against the lines , this way the slider part remains covered.
-Put your right knee on the slider part.
-Put the bridle attachment on the top of the roll (end). -Put your left knee on the bridle attachment. So your left leg is on the middle of the canopy.
-Squeeze the air out from the left part on your left leg and lift your left leg and turn/fold the left ear on the middle and put your leg back on it.
-Do the previous step with the right "ear" too
-Squeeze the remaining air out.

S-fold the canopy this way:http://www.packingparachutes.com/techniques_tips/greed.htm

Tricks:
-grab the end of the roll+bridle+top of the canopy with your left.
-put outer right grommet under your right knee and keep it there
-pull the d-bag around the canopy with your left
-insert the rest into the middle as you see on the link

Things to be aware of:
-Don't roll tunnels, silder, stabilizators or anything.
-Don't let the slider moved away from the slider stops.

Folding the "ears" over is called wolmary-pack, I coudn't find any link about it.

I won and you probable win. :)

I will give that a try tonight.

If it is moist and sits that way for a few days is that a problem. Does it affect the opening?

DO NOT leave it inside the container wet.

Go to the DZ unpacked. Spay, pack, jump. At the end of the day leave the canopy unpacked.

Do it for about 20-30 jumps or so. Then try to pack it without the water.
Memento Audere Semper

Ops. I've forget to mention that I used a humidifier. :)

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/humidifier-how-to-guide.html

I've left my canopy in my bedroom unpacked. The normal humidity is about 40-50% in the heating season. I pumped up until 98% till the morning and packed it that way. If you use a humidifier you canopy does not get direct water on it. Anyway it's really good to have one, because living, sleeping in a room where humidity is under 40-45% is not healthy.

Finally ! After 3 or 4 more attempts during which I messed things up to the point I had to start over; I got the canopy in the deployment bag.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Geez ! I am soaked in sweat and exhausted. I hope this gets easier.

Brings back less than flond memories. Keep going it does get easy.

Geez ! I am soaked in sweat and exhausted. I hope this gets easier.

It does get easier!

I spent many hours on the ground packing and unpacking (with a few screwups) and several verifications of my packjob.

My canopy now smells of dried sweat from my first pack attempts. (Hmmm, how does one launder a canopy? :S :D ... Guess I'll have to ask a rigger!)

OMG! This is exactly what I've been going thru with my new Spectre 230! I resorted to paying packers to do it.

I finally have struggled getting it into the bag..PHEW! I feel your pain! And I sweat like a pig during it!

I've found that if you trap the left side hard against your leg, and use GENTLE pressure with your knee...it helps..and putting the BAG AROUND THE CANOPY, not vice versa!

However, I'll practice repacking some more..it was looking pretty ugly going into the bag...I'll review some of these tips.

Although, I'm keen to trying the psycho packing..there are a couple of jumpers from Siloam Springs DZ that swear by it...