UDSkyJunkie

Vortex II container - info?

Saw the Vortex II at WFFC this year, and liked what I saw... all the things I like about the Javelin Odyssey (which is to say, half exposed pop-top, general rig layout, comfort, and asthetics), plus it addressed all the things I do NOT like about the Odyssey (Vortex II has a vector-style main flap and well-deisgned secondary riser covers). Also, the price for a decked out custom rig is $1500. The only red flag: it's manufactured in South Africa, and I know nothing of the field history.

I'm looking for input from people who know at least as much about gear as I do (I am a rigger). Is there any reason this container would not be a wise purchase.

Are there any loopholes that might allow a south african manufacturer with a US-based dealer to bend TSO laws? Are there any design features of this rig that have a history of problems? Anything else I might not have thought of?

Please keep this objective. Thanks for any info!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Hi,

I would not really red flag the fact that it is made in SA, as most of the Aerodune rigs, canopies and reserves are also made out of SA.
Parachute Systems has been going for a while (ex Chute Shop) They also manufacture the ZP, Hurricane and Decelerator.

There are no loopholes in the TSO system. A TSO is a TSO.

It is a good idea to chat to the guy in charge there. His name is Chris Dales.
you may know him, he is on the world team.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

I have packed a few Vortex II reserves and agree that it is a minor improvement on Javelin Odyssey.
My only gripe is that Vortex reserve side flaps are so short that it took me three tries to make the last one look pretty.
Mind you, I have the same complaint about newer Wings containers.

It's good rig closer to a Wings than Jav.

To make look pretty you have to stuff the sides a lot and leave a big hole in the center. The ears should not be stuffed as much as with the Jav (kind in between the Vector and Jav).

Like Wings it might take few tries to make it look good but that is true with Javs and Racers if you don't know few tricks.
Memento Audere Semper

If you want a Wings just get one !

I do not want a Wings, as I have observed about 1 in 3 to have issues with riser covers refusing to stay closed. Yes, I realize this is partially rigger-dependant, but it shouldn't have to be. I also don't like the reserve flap on the wings, as I have observed it to also have a tendancy to come open. They tend to build Wings thick and short, which can be an issue when wearing a weight belt and flying 126 over 120. All that, and it's several hundred dollars more expensive than the Vortex.

Don't get me wrong, Wings is a great container, and priced better then most... but they won't be getting my buisiness.

Thanks to everyone who answered by the way... the info is appreciated.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Vortex II rigs and in fact all the ParachuteSystems products are very popular in South Africa. On my home DZ I would say at leaset 50%+ rigs and canopies are ParachuteSystems products.

I have about 300 jumps on my Vortex II. The rig is very well made. I use mine for wingsuit and freefly, never had any problems with it.

I have seen some complaints on the forum that the reserve can be tricky to pack so that it looks good, but my rigger does not seem to have a problem with it.

Also check out the Hurricane canopy from ParachuteSystems.

Respect my authoritah!

Although I don't jump a Vortex 2, the company that makes them, Parachute Systems, run by Chris and Marie Dales, was called Chute Shop earlier and was established well before I started jumping in 1985.

I see many Vortex 2's on the DZ every weekend, and I don't hear any complaints.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've been jumping one for the past 700+ jumps and I really like it.

I'm from the UK and there are a lot of Vortex IIs around at home. Now I'm in the US and getting replacement stuff after a recent cutaway wasn't a problem, one of their US dealers (Lou Tommaso in New Jersey) was excellent.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!