Baksteen

So what exactly IS 'the dark side'?

So far I've heard it used regarding
*freefly
*CReW
*Hang gliding
*evil people in a galaxy far far away
*BASE

Perhaps it is time that the valued and by general acclaim most respected PWs of the Bonfire established a consensus of what is henceforth to be the proper usage of the aforementioned description.*

*I didn't have to consult my thesaurus even once when cooking up that sentence....scary shit...**
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Well yes, but in concert with the 'galaxy far far away' definition it is implied that the people belonging to the dark side are undesirable. :P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

maybe thats just a matter of the POV: like, yea, u know.. the typical black knight! everyone hates him coz he's better than everyone. like you and me, everyone hates me coz i'm so arrr-sum! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

maybe thats just a matter of the POV: like, yea, u know.. the typical black knight! everyone hates him coz he's better than everyone. like you and me, everyone hates me coz i'm so arrr-sum! :P

shouldn't that be 'some arse'?[:/]

;)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Depends on the speaker and their experience.

-To some dedicated bellyflyers the dark side is freeflying
-To some skydivers the dark side is BASE jumping
-To ALL BASE jumpers (except MyNameBeDan) the dark side is the NPS

A friend of mine (pilot for almost 40 years) made a funny comment yesterday about someone going to the dark side meaning they now work for the FAA. It just depends on your perspective.

Then of course you have your evil dark Jedi types. ;)

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

"dark side" is a term very insecure (and also nerdy) skydivers try to call themselves in order to feel 'edgy'

that, and people with the title "Darth" in front of their name

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

they don't get their panties all in a bunch worrying about how many points they turn they just jump.

quote from "Liar, Liar" starring Jim Carey

son, "my teacher says real beauty comes from inside a person"
dad, "that's just something ugly people say"

once an unskilled jumper gets good enough to turn a few points, they usually decide that it adds to the fun immensely - regardless of the freefall discipline

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Likewise i have heard the term darkside used by people refering to something that they have admited they wish they could do. (ie: freeflying, competetive 4 way, swooping, BASE etc)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

"dark side" is a term very insecure (and also nerdy) skydivers try to call themselves in order to feel 'edgy'

that, and people with the title "Darth" in front of their name

so, i should get my name changed to: "Darth Virgin Safety Burner" then..

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Likewise i have heard the term darkside used by people refering to something that they have admited they wish they could do. (ie: freeflying, competetive 4 way, swooping, BASE etc)

I've never heard of that, really
that's a neat take on it

Don't worry, I have the answer you're looking for...

The Darkside is the term a select group of instructors use to describe the bottom end of a student-centered skydive. More specifically, the freeflying done after the AFF or tandem student pulls at 6k until the instructors pull.

Also, it refers to the freefly team out of Hollister, which currently has a website under construction, expected to be completed in the next week or so... or whenever i find the time to build more than a couple pages.

You can check out the really neat intro here:
http://www.wehavecookies.com

Here is my bio:
http://www.wehavecookies.com/bio/alex

The website will actually work at some point now that school is out and I'll have some free time...

Darkside.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye