spinmedic

can this work?

does anyone know if a pilot chute will provide enough force to pull an RSL in a baglock situation? i imagine that it would, but if anyone has any advice and/or experience i would appreciate it.

Jason
when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar........................ you might as well get a damn cookie!

I've had a baglock. Not with an rsl attached, but I would say that it probably would given a fully cocked pilot chute in good condition. The best thing to do is to pull the handle.;) If it doesn't then you have another problem

How do ya like it Johnny?

The short answer is "yes" a bag lock should develop enough drag to pull your RSL, BUT...

The thing with a bag lock is that your main riser covers don't always come open, as there may not be enough drag to pop them out. If this is the case, then the pull angles are wrong and there may be serious problems with getting the system to work right. Friction and drag and all that....

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

The short answer is "yes" a bag lock should develop enough drag to pull your RSL, BUT...

The thing with a bag lock is that your main riser covers don't always come open, as there may not be enough drag to pop them out. If this is the case, then the pull angles are wrong and there may be serious problems with getting the system to work right. Friction and drag and all that....

I have heard a lot of people say different things about baglocks. My experience was that it didn't noticably stand me up, riser covers were untucked and seperated quickly and cleanly when cutaway. It is hard to find a bag locked canopie...

How do ya like it Johnny?

well when my buddy cut away his baglock the rsl beat him to deploying the reserve (he uses two hands to 1 handle method) I followed the free bag and baglocked main ... which looked very much like a freebag with a black pilot chute... so in my one direct observation yes a baglock when cutaway can pull an RSL

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

does anyone know if a pilot chute will provide enough force to pull an RSL in a baglock situation? i imagine that it would, but if anyone has any advice and/or experience i would appreciate it.

Jason

The bag lock malfuntion I had did not stand me up. Read what billbooth and billvon has to say about bag locks and rsl's

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1314410;search_string=bag%20lock%20rsl;#1314410
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

wow, thanks, i feel safer already, it makes sense that the pull angles would be all wrong to pop the main riser covers open, but hey, i dunno

thanks guys
jason
when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar........................ you might as well get a damn cookie!

I'd say every malfunction is different. I've had two (lucky me) baglock mals.

One stood me up nicely and seperated very cleanly, the other got 'hung' on the very first stow and the bag just sat there. There was not enough force to clear the mal or activate an RSL in my opinion.

Point being, it should work, but nothing is 100%.
illegible usually