BikerBabe

Facebook dilemma (or: WTF WAS I THINKING!?)

Anyone know of a way to block your updates from certain people on Facebook?

I made the grievous error of accepting my Mother in law's friend request on there (honestly, how could i not? *cry*) and now every time i post an update she emails me about it asking what it means.

Case in point...she now wants to know all about the American Boogie. what's that? where is it? argh.

I know she's a bit lonely, but it's really getting ridiculous. Oh, and should any sort of...ahem...boogie "party" pics get posted and tagged...oh man, i don't want to think about it.

Can i block her without removing her from friends? I know that sounds horrid and ungrateful and mean, but i'm not sure how much more i can take!

B|B|B|
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

You can block certain people from seeing certain things in your privacy settings.

BEWARE: I did this with my mother and somehow the settings were reset. This meant one day she logged in and saw lots of video and pics of me base jumping after i told her i quit. I tried to address the issue several times with facebook and they just kept sending me generic security awareness emails.

Your best bet if you dont want asomeone to see something is not to add them. My mom has prob sent me 15 invites int he past couple months and i just keep ignoring them.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

A little story from a friend:
He has two kids: boy 18, a girl 16.
He is an IT professional (security) at a large high-tech company.

When his daughter started talking about setting up a Facebook account,
he set up his own account and insisted she add him as a friend.

A few weeks went by and he noticed her pages never changed.
One day he happened to mention it to his son.
The kid got a funny look on his face, then finally commented:

"Uh, Dad, she has two Facebook accounts."

:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I am ignoring my sister-in-law - she is the antichrist - I don't feel bad about it at all!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

arrgh, now i feel like a horrible person. but trust me, i DON'T ignore her. There are just certain things in my life that are so far out of her realm of "normal" that explaining them crosses from "patient" to "tedious".

Honestly, a lot of the stuff i don't want her to see because she's lived kind of a sheltered life and i hate to ruin that innocent quality she has that can actually be refreshing at times.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

My mom has prob sent me 15 invites int he past couple months and i just keep ignoring them.

ouch, that's cold

Do what I do with people I dont want to offend, but also do want in my friends list: accept the invite (they'll get a notification saying you accepted) and then remove them from your list. I know, I know, I'm a cold bastard. :ph34r:

That would work too for you Andi.. You could just blame Facebook for the glitch :ph34r:.
Remster

My mother found out that my nieces and nephews communicate with me more than her because of facebook and now she wants an account. My sister is less than excited about the idea. Mom probably won't be thrilled with my adherence to the FSM, but she can live with that. She really doesn't need to read about how much my 21 yr old niece parties. It just won't make her happy.

If even my mom should pop up on Facebook I'd ignore her friend request in a heart beat....

Sound cold? Probably, but why should she know all about me?
Cousins are the closest relatives I've let in there... And I have very sporadic contact with them....
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

arrgh, now i feel like a horrible person. but trust me, i DON'T ignore her. There are just certain things in my life that are so far out of her realm of "normal" that explaining them crosses from "patient" to "tedious".

Honestly, a lot of the stuff i don't want her to see because she's lived kind of a sheltered life and i hate to ruin that innocent quality she has that can actually be refreshing at times.

I don't see a problem other than she's curious about you and your life. Probably enjoys living vicariously through you. Probably even admires you. There are much worse mother-in-laws out there. I say thank your lucky stars! :P

Didn't mean to make you feel like a horrible person. Your post just reminded me I haven't talked to my aunt in a while even though she's left a couple messages.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

If you click on "Settings" in the top menu, and then "Privacy Settings," then "Profile," you can change who sees what. If you want to block just one person, click on "Customize" in the drop-down menus.

But if you change it so that she can't see your status updates, she will no longer be able to see any of the old ones either, so she might ask you what happened to them.

Best Practices are to configure "Friend Lists."

You can specify what portions of your profile can be seen by people on a particular list (in privacy settings). When you accept friends, you can move them onto a friend list when you accept.

My default is to share a lot of stuff.

I keep a friends list for co-workers that excludes status updates and pictures.

I keep a friends list for people I barely know that excludes almost everything.

A bit of overhead to setup, but well worth it. Sadly, this feature doesn't get nearly the publicity it deserves.

You should just be able to unfriend her. she wont know and you will not be getting constant questions.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Um she would know as soon as she went to look at her profile....obviously she is there looking at it ;)

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

My mom and my ex's mom are both my friends (unrestricted access), but I pretty much never use Facebook anymore.

I used to get all kinds of random friend requests.. Then one day I decided to "un-friend" about 90% of the people I had on there.. Not being mean, but I just don't have hundreds of friends!!! I also cleaned up 99% of anything remotely personal - I even deleted all of my picture albums. There's nothing interesting about me on there anymore!!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I use Facebook for old College friends and family and generally will not Add skydiving buddies just for this reason. I do not want my daughter and relatives seeing boogie pics that I may be in.

I have thought about setting up a second Facebook account just for Skydiver type friends.

You just have to understand that the internet isn't the best place to post things that can be taken out of context. What's more important, having a picture of yourself passed out in the bathroom or potentially snubbing a family member?

I'm sure there will be an application that comes along to offer better privacy control so you can set privacy controls for specific users or age ranges.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

My sister joined Facebook- claimed her two 20something daughters encouraged her to do so and for a long time they were her only "friends". One day she "busted" my niece for vacation pictures she posted showing her smoking, then asked her about something else she had posted on facebook but had not told her mother about. Needless to say, my niece is not too happy she encouraged her mother to join facebook anymore! :o

People keep telling me to join but I still think of Facebook as a place for college aged kids. I don't want to invade my nieces' space and I don't want them invading mine!

Privacy settings are your friend.... B|

Half of my family is on facebook, I don't mind, matter of fact I think it's pretty cool and it's given some of us an easier means of communicating as we are spread all over.

If there are things I don't want my family to see: a) I don't post it, or b) I block them from seeing it. Luckily my family is pretty respectful of me, and typically do not question things I post. I also find it cute when my Mom/Grandma/Uncle come to me to learn new things... B|

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Privacy settings are your friend.... B|

Half of my family is on facebook, I don't mind, matter of fact I think it's pretty cool and it's given some of us an easier means of communicating as we are spread all over.

If there are things I don't want my family to see: a) I don't post it, or b) I block them from seeing it. Luckily my family is pretty respectful of me, and typically do not question things I post. I also find it cute when my Mom/Grandma/Uncle come to me to learn new things... B|

g

I'm sure I will cave eventually. Especially since I am planning a vacation with both sisters and their daughters have been invited too. (Don't know yet how they feel about hanging out in Mexico with their moms and aunts!) I'm sure Facebook would be an easier way to make plans and stuff.

But, I don't really see the appeal of people I haven't seen or thought about for years (decades) contacting me through Facebook and I know people who do this or have had it happen to them. I'm sure there are some people I have lost contact with over the years that I would be happy to hear from, but I think for every one of them, there are at least 3 that would set off the stalker alarms! :D

A few people have told me I should sign up on facebook/myspace... Maybe it's just me, but the last thing I want is to have all of my family & coworkers knowing absolutely everything I do. :S One of the girls I work with enthusiastically added our boss to her friends list. WTF? Is she crazy? B|:D

Audra