Malfunctionmeg

Buyer Beware

In December of last year, I began the process of buying and designing a rig for my boyfriend. I chose Square One because I live overseas and thought it easier to deal with one vendor rather than four manufacturers, also, they boast renowned prices and customer service. I explained in detail the circumstances for which I was ordering the rig, and allowed time for unexpected issues. I contacted them three weeks in advance to secure a discount, double and triple check the ordering process, and customize a container and canopy.
Throughout the ordering process, the website was being updated causing complications, PDF capability had been disabled, confirmation request went ignored, and whilst making a phone order, the salesman was using the wrong order form, making me feel totally ignored and questioning my decision to order through the vendor.
We planned a vacation in May to take advantage of the exchange rate and jump the new rig,
with the added bonus of dodging tax by walking it over the border. What we found was four boxes, added shipping charges, and a canopy and container with inaccurate coloring and sizing. We contacted Square One and were ignored for about a month. I contacted Mirage and found that within minutes they we’re bending over backwards trying to correct the problem. After a week, a missed plane, and an additional $200, I now had a newly sized container, a pink slip, and a receipt claiming that the mistakes made were of Square One, and that the second problem with the container is not repairable. I later contacted PD to ask advice about the canopy I ordered that was miscolored. Again I was treated with respect and efficency. I could not be happier with the investments I made with these manufacturers. (Sabre II and Mirage G3)
When contacting Square One to add closure to this six month ordeal, I was very much insulted by their patronizing attitudes, their lack of customer service and reparation, and most of all the absence of accountability.
For a six month waiting period, order forms that didn’t match manufacturer receipts, an ugly canopy, a less then perfect customized container, $50 in excess shipping, $150 in additional airfare, the lose of my job, and a ruined vacation, I was offered a 20% discount on video equipment purchased through Square One.
I would like to urge all of you, novice and professional to invest time in discovering the equipment that is best for you, and obtaining it in the manner best for you. I know now that going to a brand name dealer, is not the best solution. I will never purchase anything from Square 1, 2, or 3 again, which is very disconcerning since I have great relationships in Eloy and quite a bit of respect for the businesses and management on the dropzone. I also hope that this message reaches the owners and sale team at Square One, so they might know that their promises of customer satisfaction before, during, and after purchase has never and may never be met.

Meghan Dunmore

Personally I've never had problems with Square1. One time they made a mistake in sending me the wrong Tshirt I got to keep it and they sent me the right one too. Once I spent hours on the phone/fax/email to get my order through VISA which wasn't co-operating, Square1 stayed with me untill it was sorted out. Then when they finally had the money I got a note saying they were now going on a holiday to the Bahama's with it, and thanx :D:D:D Got my canopy just fine :)All in all, when someone I know wants to order from overseas, I still recommend them...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Since we're complaining about Square 1-3, I also have a complaint. About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a bag of rubber bands from Square 3. They were really thin and broke quickly. The bag probably only lasted me 2 years or so. Another friend bought a bag there recently and had the same problem. BUYER BEWARE! :P

Dave

After a week, a missed plane, and an additional $200, I now had a newly sized container, a pink slip, and a receipt claiming that the mistakes made were of Square One, and that the second problem with the container is not repairable.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you lose your job?

I would make a guess based on an interpretation -- was it because you were stuck in the country trying to fix the problems, and you lost your job as a result of missing the plane?

It's pretty sad to hear about the loss of a job over a chain of events possibly initiated by one person's messed-up ordering form, then things probably deterioriated to the point where neither parties enjoyed working with each other...

I feel that any good company doing custom orders (ie containers, canopies) must institute a policy of faxing phone order forms back to people ordering by phone, for a confirmation first. (Or a scanned version by email to those without a fax - it's easy nowadays with a cheap $70 scanner unit with a one-button "Email" button on the front of the scanner). It sure would have saved you a lot of trouble because it sounds like somebody there like they messed up a phone order. Phone orders are unfortunately error prone, especially when taken by an overworked person... Accents, misunderstandings by tired staff, hurried order forms, messy handwriting by phone operator, etc. Once a mistake is made that is costly for the original company to fix, plus an infuriated customer, there is a lot of opportunity for a continued cascade of problems (including treatment, reparations, attempts to fix things, no longer wanting to be nice to each other, etc.) hurting the reputation of a company, regardless whether or not the customer is partially at fault.

My experience with working with companies and watching the support machine run itself, there's always occasional bad spots in a company with otherwise good reputation -- and I hope they try their best to fix and refine their order process to reduce the chances of botched orders (which in my experience, is a pain for even a good company to fix -- but it should be the company's responsibility to confirm the order in the first place. Especially phone orders, which are historically massively more error prone than faxed/mailed orders).

Regardless of whether it's a custom car, a custom computer, a custom skydiving rig -- it is ALWAYS good company pratice to do "Always confirm the complete custom order by a visual/written method of communication - ALWAYS". This means phone orders would be forced to be confirmed by fax, snail-mailing, or email. If what I am reading is correct, Square 1 made a very serious error -- I know that operating a phone line of a company, it is very stupid to do >$1000 non-refundable custom orders with an unfamiliar customer only by phone with no written confirmation of the custom stuff by fax. Industry statistics show a very high error rate in unconfirmed custom phone orders. Sometimes the error is so vague (i.e. the word "Blue" written in the wrong box by the phone person, or "Black" written as an acronym "BL" which can be confused with "Blue". Or simply bad handwriting that's read differently, or a foreign accent made "Green" sound like "Blue"), it becomes not obvious and the company blames the customer for the errors. Customer blames company. Never-ending fight with no resolution. Very bad pratice. The only way to avoid this is WRITTEN CONFIRMATION. (Even though this is not 100% fail safe, it really dramatically reduces the error rate). It doesn't matter which company, any company doing high-price custom orders must always have written/visual confirmation. That's often why, when you order a high-end computer system by phone, you often get an email confirmation with an opportunity to cancel/modify the order if you call back within 24 hours -- or at least the computer company at least instituted a generous money-back guarantee to compensate for the lack of written confirmation for phone orders.

At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I am very glad that it was not totally bad at all; the manufacturers managed to fix your problem eventually. (Still a better outcome than people who have been sold defective stolen gear at expensive prices!)

Since we're complaining about Square 1-3, I also have a complaint. About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a bag of rubber bands from Square 3. They were really thin and broke quickly. The bag probably only lasted me 2 years or so. Another friend bought a bag there recently and had the same problem. BUYER BEWARE! :P

Dave

Same complaint here...

Might I suggest we band together and begin a Class Action Suit?!

The worst part was when I bought mine...the person I paid my HARD earned money to said

'Thank You'...

But I could tell.................she didn't really mean it!>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Meghan
It would have been wonderful if you had answered any of the multiple emails I've sent you, but I guess this is a "better" format for you. No worries.

Yes, we made a mistake.
Yes, you made some too.
Yes, we've bent over backwards to contact you and resolve the issues.
No, my multiple e-mails to you have not been answered.
No, we didn't cause you to lose your job. (where did THAT come from??!!)
Yes, I spoke with you last week and when we parted YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE CONTENT. Now you come back with a public attack.
Yes, it's a full moon, which probably explains a lot of this.

If anyone wants details (sigh--it's kind of like a car wreck on the side of the road where everyone wants to slow down and look, isn't it), fee free to contact me. But I wish you wouldn't, as this is really betwixt Meghan (who, by the way, is NOT the end user of the equipment) and Square One.

Blue skies, soft landings, blah blah blah

kate cooper
chief cook and bottle washer
square1.com

[email protected]

or call me

951.657.8260 or (in US) 800.877.7191

Feel free to buy something at the same time.

www.jumpforthecause.com Women's World Record in Formation Skydiving to benefit Breast Cancer Awareness

Nothing but Kudo's for Kate and Co here...

Except for that damned DGskydive guy..:):D:D

J/K Dom! (He's actually one of the nicest people I've met!)

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

kate cooper
square1.com

COMPLETE TANGENT, but...

What do the titles mean? I remember seeing a job posting for some type of IT job that said "bottle washer" and I think it referred to debugging code or something.

In December of last year, I began the process of buying and designing a rig for my boyfriend. I chose Square One because I live overseas and thought it easier to deal with one vendor rather than four manufacturers, also, they boast renowned prices and customer service. I explained in detail the circumstances for which I was ordering the rig, and allowed time for unexpected issues. I contacted them three weeks in advance to secure a discount, double and triple check the ordering process, and customize a container and canopy.

I don't quite follow that part where you say you triple checked the order and it was still Square1's fault that the order was wrong???

Throughout the ordering process, the website was being updated causing complications, PDF capability had been disabled,

Most people like it when a web site is updated with the latest, greatest information.
The part where your browser reads, downloads or ignores a PDF file is set by the end user. How is Square1 responsible for your browser settings?

confirmation request went ignored, and whilst making a phone order, the salesman was using the wrong order form, making me feel totally ignored and questioning my decision to order through the vendor.
We planned a vacation in May to take advantage of the exchange rate and jump the new rig,
with the added bonus of dodging tax by walking it over the border. What we found was four boxes, added shipping charges, and a canopy and container with inaccurate coloring and sizing. We contacted Square One and were ignored for about a month. I contacted Mirage and found that within minutes they we’re bending over backwards trying to correct the problem. After a week, a missed plane, and an additional $200, I now had a newly sized container, a pink slip, and a receipt claiming that the mistakes made were of Square One, and that the second problem with the container is not repairable. I later contacted PD to ask advice about the canopy I ordered that was miscolored. Again I was treated with respect and efficency. I could not be happier with the investments I made with these manufacturers. (Sabre II and Mirage G3)
When contacting Square One to add closure to this six month ordeal, I was very much insulted by their patronizing attitudes, their lack of customer service and reparation, and most of all the absence of accountability.
For a six month waiting period, order forms that didn’t match manufacturer receipts, an ugly canopy, a less then perfect customized container, $50 in excess shipping, $150 in additional airfare, the lose of my job, and a ruined vacation, I was offered a 20% discount on video equipment purchased through Square One.
I would like to urge all of you, novice and professional to invest time in discovering the equipment that is best for you, and obtaining it in the manner best for you. I know now that going to a brand name dealer, is not the best solution. I will never purchase anything from Square 1, 2, or 3 again, which is very disconcerning since I have great relationships in Eloy and quite a bit of respect for the businesses and management on the dropzone. I also hope that this message reaches the owners and sale team at Square One, so they might know that their promises of customer satisfaction before, during, and after purchase has never and may never be met.

Meghan Dunmore

I could go on, but what I really don't get is how Square1 lost your job for you??
That's a totally awesome power that they must have.

As far as Square1's rubberbands. I think all of them eventually broke. Somehow I think that's what wearing out means. I think if the rubberbands did not break I might have had some nasty baglocks. Maybe, I'll save all the broken rubberbands and ask for replacements. I'll threaten a nastygram post if I don't get replacements.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

kate cooper
square1.com

COMPLETE TANGENT, but...

What do the titles mean? I remember seeing a job posting for some type of IT job that said "bottle washer" and I think it referred to debugging code or something.

It means Kate is inviting you over for dinner and will do the dishes. Kate knows nothing about IT.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

As far as Square1's rubberbands. I think all of them eventually broke. ... Maybe, I'll save all the broken rubberbands and ask for replacements. I'll threaten a nastygram post if I don't get replacements.

YES! A 3rd complaint and still NO RESPONSE at all from the company. What kind of customer service is this?? They should be ashamed!

I want my $3 (or was it $2?) back! :D

Dave

I keep losing my job. I have lost it repeatedly...

Somehow it always finds me again...[:/]

Never had a problem with Square one. I have bought several pieces of gear through them. They have always gone out of thier way to help me out. I deem it more than worth while to drive up from San Diego to make my purchases there... Even though when I have ordered online through them it has been no hassle. Maybe I think my job won't find me up there so I prefer just to drive up... I would reccomend them to anyone needing gear.

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

kate cooper
square1.com

COMPLETE TANGENT, but...

It means Kate is inviting you over for dinner and will do the dishes. Kate knows nothing about IT.

Sweet! I love it when chicks cook dinner for me!

Except for that damned DGskydive guy..:):D:D

Yea...I dono about him....he wouldnt sell me a canopy that was a tad agressive for my experiance level(and so thought my instructors also) >:(;).....and the damn free pullups he sent me have the print wearing off >:(;)

PS...I am running short on pullups ;););)

Hey Kiddo,
Kate and Tony are straight shooters, I've known and worked for/ with them both, for years. Maybe a call to one or both of them to sort out your problems BEFORE you post on a (semi) public forum is in order??? I don't know of your personal issues with them/ SQ 1, but I think a one on one is in order. This is a very SMALL market place and word of mouth carries far and loud, think before you act. Try not to poison the well. Talk to them, they will hook you up, of that I have no doubt.

Mick Cottle (you know the rest).

Throughout the ordering process, the website was being updated causing complications, PDF capability had been disabled, confirmation request went ignored, and whilst making a phone order, the salesman was using the wrong order form, making me feel totally ignored and questioning my decision to order through the vendor.

Meghan Dunmore

Kate and Tony are straight shooters,

Of THAT there is NO doubt!:)

and I would tend to believe the error in this situation might rest NOT with the people that do this every day.:)
I've never heard of a truly UNsatisified S~1 customer...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Dave

I purchase a Reserver from SQ1. Got it packed at the Loft. Within 3 weeks of the purchase, I had to have it repacked due to a malfunctiun.
Coincidence...??? I think not...:P

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Blue skies, soft landings, blah blah blah

kate cooper
square1.com

If you can take a few moments out of the kitchen sink, I would like to say

SQUARE ONE ROCKS.

I love my rig.

Dominic was a great sales guy. I told you guys in person when I was out there for a training camp that he needed a raise, regardless of his current compensation package, because he was so helpful to me. I won't ask if you gave it to him.:P

You guys really hooked me up great when I was out there visiting before my rig came in.

There were a couple rocky points along the way with delivery times, but, you guys don't make it, you just sell it, so I can't complain.

Anyway... Thanks again.

Travis

As far as Square1's rubberbands. I think all of them eventually broke. ... Maybe, I'll save all the broken rubberbands and ask for replacements. I'll threaten a nastygram post if I don't get replacements.

YES! A 3rd complaint and still NO RESPONSE at all from the company. What kind of customer service is this?? They should be ashamed!

I want my $3 (or was it $2?) back! :D

Dave

You know, one of the rubber bands I got had a birth defect. It was thicker on one side than the other. I shot it at a friend and it went off course and hit him in the face when I was going for something much lower... I want my money back too. How about a class action?:P

This is my first post here. I am usualy a lurker here. I not so recently ordered a harness and container through the SkydiveStore, it was a Vector 3. Do to a couple of mistakes I made on the order form the rig had to be fixed a couple of times. Rosi at Relative Workshop was very helpful, and Art Sherry at the Skydive Store has bent over backwards to help me. The mistakes that were made were mine, both Art Sherry and the Relative Workshop have bent over backward to make sure I will get the rig that I want. I can't express enough how greatfull I am to all the people that have been involved in this. I chose to order through the Skydive Store becouse they (Art Sherry) was the only gear dealer that actually seamed to want my buisiness. Bill Booth and his staff are awsome. The Skydive Store is the best, Art will bend over backwards for you. I am overwhelmed by the support I have recieved along the way, I made several mistakes on the order form and I will still end up with the rig I orderd. Call Art Sherry at the Skydive Store and he will hook you up.

Blue Skies

I bought a gear bag from Square 1.

Since I have purchased it, its many pockets have filled with stuff, often making it dificult for me to find what I need. Sometimes, I need 50 cents for a drink and instead, I find, pull up cords, alimeters, jumpsuits, rigs, goggles, logbooks, batteries, sunglasses, and plenty of other items getting in my way.

Why did they have to give me a bag with so many places to store things?!?!?

DAMN YOU SQUARE1!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.