Beckert

Training for a half marathon

Just keep running. Shitty advice I know but how else do you get it done. Make sure you taper your training down a week or so before the event, keep your runs short.. 5k-ish.

What kind of time are you currently running per KM? try and find a pace that you can keep up and figure out what your 21k time will be. Follow the pace bunnies if you have trouble pacing yourself.

My buddy had not run anything over 6mi, and then he decided to do a 50mi run with a group of guys who were doing it just for the hell of it. The most he ran to prepare for it was 12mi 3 weeks before the big run.

He finished the 50mi no problem.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

www.runnersworld.com has a customized training schedule applet that I liked, if you don't have a schedule you like.

The runnersworld applet gives you the standard recommended training program, mixing long slow runs on the weekend to build endurance, with shorter speed intervals and up-tempo runs during the week for stamina.

Like punkd asked, What pace are you planning to run for the race? How many miles are you running per week?
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I have ran two 5k - 26.47 (April) then 24.27 (May) - I have registered for one more 5k in two weeks, then an 8k in July. I really haven't given any thought to the time it takes to finish,I just want to finish. I started running in Feb, so I will be happy with almost any time.

What mini have you decided to participate in?
I completed the Indy Mini at the beginning of last month. Currently training for the Chicago Marathon in October. So far I am enjoying the Jeff Galloway program. He has programs for several different levels of ability. I chose the one designed for finishing a first marathon. If you choose to go for a particular time more power to you. However, don't let anyone badger you into it. Enjoy the training and the race.:)

The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

When I was 17 I spontaneously decided that it probably wasn't all that hard to run a half marathon. I was in decent shape from playing hardcore (European) Handball though.

Turned out, it was easy enough. I made it with no problems in a little under 2h 50min.

Only thing that sill bums me out is that one of our presidents (we have 7 in Switzerland) was 10 min. faster then I was...

For the people that know Swiss politics, it was Ruth Metzler, at that time prob in her late 30's.

Half marathon????
Only do half the training.

Andy, you are forgetting Freds first law of training, if you normally give a half-assed training effort doran event, then for a half marathon you only need to do a quarter of the training!
:P

:P

Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---