skymama

What were dorm room essentials for you?

2 conspicuous pictures of family- it will help him get laid

Since the opposite gender won't be allowed in the rooms, that may not be exactly the effect [skymama] is looking for. :D

Like THAT rule has never been/won't ever be broken!!! I'd make it a personal challenge to set a record for times with female (not necessarily different ones) in illegal place... but that's me
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Hi Moms,

Both of my kids went away to college ( 1 girl & 1 boy ).

When he comes home after a couple of weeks ( or more ) of being there, do not try to tell him what to do every moment. He has been on his own & making his own decisions for some time now.

He no longer lives at your house, he lives at the college. He is just visiting you.

I know that this is a very difficult thing to accept but it is the truth. I know!!!!!

Best of luck ( to you, not him ),

JerryBaumchen

And BTW, I'm so jealous he's going to Flagler!! As a surfer back in the day, that was my 1st choice college... LOL. My Dad dropped the hammer and said no way. Knowing that I wouldn't get my ass off the beach... ;)

I don't remember it being a dry college/single gender dorms back when I graduated high school in 1986. Is that recent??

Always be kinder than you feel.

Considering it's a young man's room, some Glade Plug-Ins wouldn't hurt. :ph34r:

Macguyver would pick Febreze over Glade Plug-Ins ...

Nah...Macguyver would take shit from the fridge and bathroom and MAKE Febreze...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

1) Xmass tree lights, white....strung around a dark dorm room can really brighten the place up!

2) Hammock, girls love sleeping in hammocks. He will thank you for it!

3) Hot water maker thing....

4) French press for fresh coffee in the mornings. Also good for tea. Girls love fresh coffee or tea in the morning after they have spooned all night in your hammock.

5) Fabreeze because there are levels of dirty!

6) TV

7) Easy to clean carpeting, if the room has some don't worry put it over it. They will charge you an arm and a leg to clean the place at the end of the year.

8) George Foreman grill! Girls get hungry!

9) Pots and pans

10) Fans, two. One small one by the PC and one to blow out the funk of the room.

11) No more than one phone call per week. No less than one phone call per week. Always after 5 pm and on a Saturday.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

lol Shah, you crack me up.

:S:S

Anyway, make sure he has a good desk light, since there ARE indeed people who go to college to...um...learn. And he might be one of them, who knows.

Sorry, that's crazy talk.

deep pile carpets, a wardrobe of well-fitting clothes, and some really expensive shoes. Girls dig that shit.

:S:S:S

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Gallon sized containers of goldfish crackers. My mom used to mail one up every other week. Not only are the delicious at any time of day or night, but they work great as currency when playing cards. We has a weekly poker game and it was always a sad day when we actually had to break out the poker chips because we ran out of fishies.
Killing threads since 2004.

lol Shah, you crack me up.

:S:S

Anyway, make sure he has a good desk light, since there ARE indeed people who go to college to...um...learn. And he might be one of them, who knows.

Sorry, that's crazy talk.

deep pile carpets, a wardrobe of well-fitting clothes, and some really expensive shoes. Girls dig that shit.

:S:S:S

:D:D:D

I guess Shah doesn't realize Nick's going to a cool school in FL.... flip flops rule.

He forget to mention a bottle of Courvoisier a la Leon Phelps, The Ladies Man. :S
Always be kinder than you feel.

Thanks so much for the list, everyone! I wrote everything down (except for the weed and bong suggestions :P) and am going to share it with my friends at a graduation party this afternoon.

For anyone who cares, here's a candid shot of Nick telling his grandparents what all of his awards around his neck represent. He made the family proud with all of his academic achievements. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Actually, I think the Febreeze and fans are both great ideas, for exactly the reasons he states.

Boys will be boys

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Actually, I just used Frebreeze in his room this morning, I can't imagine what it's going to be like with two boys in the room. Boys are so stinky, then again my daughter makes us gag with the amount of scented body spray she uses, so girls aren't much better!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

11) No more than one phone call per week. No less than one phone call per week. Always after 5 pm and on a Saturday.

I think Sunday is better, if she wants to talk to him sober.

Do you think he'll be more sober after two days of drinking than he would be after one? :)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

My little brother who is 20 and in college swears he can't survive the dorms without an oscillating fan.

I think a bike (depending on the size of the campus, I guess), and an alarm clock are key!

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Is he going to be on a meal plan? Most schools make you for your first year on campus... I know Florida Tech did for my first year on campus there, and second year I moved into the campus apartments and it was optional. I had a microfridge and a microwave in my room, so basically I needed food items that were easily cooked for late night snacks in the microwave-- stock up on LOTS of easy mac, ramen, etc. Get those cheap plastic cup/bowl/plate sets that walmart offers. Grab a box of plastic cutlery, and some dish soap. We washed our dishes in the bathrooms, but all the stuff def. came in handy at 3am when none of the eateries were open.

Other than that, you'll need XL twin bed sheet, XL twin mattress pad/topper, XL twin comforter. Towels, and shower stuff. Pick up a shower caddy that he can just keep all his stuff in to take back and forth to the showers, and the most important part of the shower ensemble is a pair of shower flip flops. You don't even want to know what bacteria and fluids are on the floor of those showers.. eeewww. Then all the usual stuff-- clothes, etc. He'll probably have a wardrobe and a few drawers to keep stuff in. I invested in plastic tubs to keep my stuff in under those tall dorm beds that are made to fit stuff under.

If he doesnt' have a laptop, its a good idea to get one. I worked in the computer lab for my four years for my work study job, but still needed my laptop after hours and helped me with n otes and everything during class. (and easy to take to study groups and around town)

I know you're local to where matt and I were (but now we live in TX :(), but is he going to school in FL or is he leaving the state?

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I think we're allowed to help him move in. Maybe I better check on that! :ph34r:

It's a dry campus and you're right about the "no opposite-gender mingling" in the rooms. I'm good with both of those!

OMG, REALLY????!!!! Holy crap... I almost went to a religious school because I got a full soccer scholarship up at seton hill in PA, and I am SO glad I didn't. The whole male/female mingling, partying, drinking... its all part of the gig and really has given me so many memories from college. I went to a geek school (if anybody is familiar with FL Tech... a bunch of engineering and science geeks), but we knew how to study AND have a good time. ;)

I'm really glad if he likes that and really loves that school, but man... that seems so odd at a non-religiously affiliated school. (AND a school near the beach in FL! All we did at FIT was surf, drink, smoke, get sun tanned on the beach, and study our asses off.)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

He's going to Flagler and yes, he has to stay in the dorm and have the meal plan for his Freshman year. His dad gave him a laptop for graduation, so he's good to go with that.

I mentioned the shower shoes to him the other day and he shrugged and said he doesn't need them and that's what they make athlete's foot cream for. Maybe when I mention the "other" stuff that might be on the shower floor it might change his mind!

Flagler has a Methodist background to it, although I wouldn't classify it as a religious school now. His gf will be at FSU, so he doesn't care about not being able to have girls in his room...at least not yet. :ph34r: