Why do people like Wings containers so much?

I'm curious - i was looking in the gear review section and out of 25 reviews, it averages 5 out of 5 stars! That's pretty good going. I'm curious - looking at the container, it doesn't seem too disimilar from my rig which is a TS Superfly (aside from the obvious reserve pin being seated against my back). The main pin flap is just a tuck tab, there are secure riser covers - i guess you get free riser inserts and it appears customer service is very good, but i'm curious to know why they seem to be rated so highly. I can't see how it's cost, because when i costed one up against an Odessey, with the same options, it was coming out at a similar sort of price.

Can anyone enlighten me?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I can't see how it's cost,

Well, you need to look closer into that. Call them if you want a more competitive price.

Also, looking at options and pictures cant tell you much about confort. Mine came with the leg strap padding that were too short, but, Sunrise took care of that and I must say its a very, very confortable rig.
Remster

It's the "I jump it so of course it's the best" syndrome.

that's probably the reason to be fair :)

I'm very happy with my Wings and i was one of the people that gave it a 5* review...

it is really comfortable; but for me it's the first rig i've jumped thats custom made and articulated so surprisingly enough it fits really well...

it is really well made and in my opinion looks really nice (see attachment) and the customer service was very good... when i was looking at prices Wings was quite a lot cheaper than a lot of other options, which helps!

but as i said it's my first rig, so i probably would have been happy with anything :)

edit- apparently uploading an attachment is complicated in my world...

Yep, thats about it.

I think the reason more newbies get into a wings is due to the cost - its generally cheaper than the other containers.

I have a wings (bought when it had 20 jumps on it) with all the extras - articulated harness, quilted back pad, cordura BOC etc.

Its very comfortable. I mean, very comfortable compared to the Javelins I had jumped as a student. The customer service is great too. I'm not a fan of my container atm cause packing is a bitch when you have the biggest main for the container; but thats not the fault of the container.

But... the riser covers suck! I have a horrible time keeping them closed after the container is closed. It would probably work well with mini risers, but I have standard risers. Several other wings people at my DZ have said they have the same problem. The RSL lanyard is too long, with no place to store the excess.

Racer is still the MOST comfortable rig I have ever had the pleasure of jumping and wouldn't be opposed to having it as my next. I love the pin protection!

Jen
Arianna Frances

I have a horrible time keeping them closed after the container is closed. It would probably work well with mini risers, but I have standard risers. Several other wings people at my DZ have said they have the same problem.

Are they all being packed by the same rigger?

Someone's first rig is always going to feel comfortable considering that student gear is "one size fits nobody well."

I love my Infinity for a variety of reasons, but I'd have been just as happy with a Wings, a Vector 3, a Talon...

I jump it...love it...wouldn't buy another type of container but don't think it's "the best". I just don't think there's a "best" out there right now. there all the same. except price and customer service. and Wings tends to win on both. I've had nothing but a nightmare from Mirage and from Sunpath. but those are long stories that won't be rehashed...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Are they all being packed by the same rigger?

exactly what I was thinking...

Also mailin have you contacted Wings about this? I had a problem with just one riser cover opening up often. Called wings up talked to Henri about it for a while...they built me a new rig in two weeks. It might be as easy as a rigger change...or something else.

Marc

What we are saying is who packs the reserve? that can grossly affect how the main riser protection fit's or doesn't fit. trust me...I had to change riggers to get mine all tightened up. now it's the goods...just a matter of changing placement of material.

Marc

I can't see how it's cost, because when i costed one up against an Odessey, with the same options, it was coming out at a similar sort of price.

What options did you pick? I can't see how they could be too similar. At MSRP with all options that come standard on the Javelin, The Wings is more than $400 less expensive. In fairness, the difference will be smaller at "street prices."

It is an outstanding value, especially for anyone who neither needs nor wants all the bells and whistles.

For Great Deals on Gear

Deluxe Stainless Steel, Articulated, cut in lat's, hackey and collapsible PC, but i forgot to add $250 for full articulation on the Jav, so yeah, i can see cost being fairly significant in the difference now.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

i'm curious to know why they seem to be rated so highly.

Like Skybytch said, some people are gung-ho about the gear they own. I had a Wings container for a while, I wasn't too amazed. It was just another rig. I sold it and replaced it with a rig that fit me better.

Chris Warnock

But... the riser covers suck! I have a horrible time keeping them closed after the container is closed. It would probably work well with mini risers, but I have standard risers. Several other wings people at my DZ have said they have the same problem. The RSL lanyard is too long, with no place to store the excess.

Jen

Then let us know about it at the factory ! ;)

We'll fix it for you if you actually come and tell us you know.

Just call up (813) 788 1910 and let us know the problem and we'll get it taken care of for you. No reason to let your enjoyment of your rig be spoiled by something so easily fixed.

I have just ordered mine.....
Was very impressed on the overall cost...
More specifically....my 'likes'
A 'can do ' attitude to main/reserve combinations that are a bit strange..(ie big reserve and smaller mains)
Freefly pud/Cordura Pouch/
Nice /tight/ 'Very' FF friendly containers
FANTASTIC customer service ( and I dont even have mine yet...but all my queries/questions have been answered promptly by people who really seem to know what their product and are excited to tell you about it)

Props to Joannie and to Ankie for great service so far....I'll never underestimate the importance of good customer service after this

If I bought it new that would be easy, but I bought it used, and for more money than I planned on spending (it was essentially new) - spending additionally money wasn't in the cards when I first bought it (and being without it for any length of time is out of the question of course - I'm obsessed! :P)

Anyway, I'm gonna take some pictures for Ankie this weekend :)
Like I said, Wings has great customer service! B|

Jen
Arianna Frances

Go back and look at all the big container companies and you'll see they all almost have 5 stars........or a 4 1/2 ....like bytch said I jump it so it's the best ......

How many bad rigs are out there these days?

Wings is one of the cheapest, has a different promo every month, and delivered mine in less than 4 weeks. But I mostly picked it because it was the most comfortable of the various rigs I rented, esp on the legs. The Infinity is another cheaper one, but on all the ones I used I found the harness going right over my shoulder bone, not very comfy.

Wings is one of the cheapest least expensive, has a different promo every month, and delivered mine in less than 4 weeks.

There...fixed it for ya!;)

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."