MudPuppy

Hello from the Hospital

Hello everybody,

It's been a while since I put my 2 cents in here, since my accident on April 11th. I have spent a month in my 3rd hospital at Mcqire VA Hospital. Wednesday I go back to Portmouth Naval Hospital fo another stay.

I am 5 weeks from starting to walk again, and have no idea if I will be able to skydive again, or for that matter if I will want to. I may have to stick to wind tunnels. This has been a very painful long stay, and it's not over yet. With a shattered foot/ankle with hardware holding it all together, a rod in my femur, some hardware in my pelvis, it has been a ride.

But somehow, it was all worth it. I love freefall, I've made lots of good friends, and had a great time. Only time will tell if I can continue, but I truly hope I can.

Blue Skies,
Skydiving..... Good to the last drop©

-MudPuppy the Sky Pirate- Dirty Sanchez #453

I am 5 weeks from starting to walk again, and have no idea if I will be able to skydive again, or for that matter if I will want to.

I'll refer to your previous post, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3547185;page=unread#unread:

So all, I have recovered a bit from the dead, and am here in Portsmouth Hospital which is where caleb is also. I am happy to have heard from many of my peeps, and am happy they have been praying for me. For aall the comments whores, Thanks for thinking of me. Well, I am not looking forwards to my recovery, but am looking forward to jumping again.

What's changed between these 2 posts? Whatever happened to the old saying: "pain is temporary, but trophies last forever"?

Crappy commenst aside, it's good to hear you're on the road to recovery. I hope you can work through the issues and get back in the air again soon!
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

[reply
I'll refer to your previous post, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3547185;page=unread#unread:

What's changed between these 2 posts? Whatever happened to the old saying: "pain is temporary, but trophies last forever"?

Crappy commenst aside, it's good to hear you're on the road to recovery. I hope you can work through the issues and get back in the air again soon!

Well mainly, I got some of my brain and personality back... I have no memory of making that post at all unfortunately, nor do I have any memory of the month if april after the 10th, [:/]

Well mainly, I got some of my brain and personality back... I have no memory of making that post at all unfortunately, nor do I have any memory of the month if april after the 10th, [:/]

You don't remember proposing to me via PM?? :P

It was good to see your post... heal well. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

Well, I remember, but you shot me down, so I wasn't going to mention it/:ph34r::S

Well, I remember, but you shot me down, so I wasn't going to mention it/:ph34r::S

:D:D I shoot everyone down. Don't take it personally. ;)

But I think you did preface your message with "I'm really heavily medicated" or something like that. ;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I am 5 weeks from starting to walk again, and have no idea if I will be able to skydive again, or for that matter if I will want to.

So all, I have recovered a bit from the dead, and am here in Portsmouth Hospital which is where caleb is also. I am happy to have heard from many of my peeps, and am happy they have been praying for me. For aall the comments whores, Thanks for thinking of me. Well, I am not looking forwards to my recovery, but am looking forward to jumping again.

Wow- way to kick a guy when he is down and doing some serious soul searching. There is more to life than skydiving and making the decision to start jumping or continue jumping is an individual personal choice under the best of circumstances. There is no shame in walking away from it, ever, for any reason and he doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Heal and get well soon! Exactly what happened?

I believe this is the incident.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3541574;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Less than a week before his accident he called skydiving "more than a sport... it's an addiction, a lifestyle..."

If he CAN'T skydive anymore, it would be sad, but reality. If he doesn't WANT to skydive anymore it would just be sad.

Apologies to all concerned, but tact has never been my strongest feature.
D.S # 125

Don't know if you remember talking to me or not now.We have a lot in common with our "incident" and recovery.
I'll PM you back and may be we can talk as far as what I've been though and still going trough.The recovery is a long and drawn out process but there are some good results no matter how severe the injury.I for one am an example.
I'm pulling for ya man!!!

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Less than a week before his accident he called skydiving "more than a sport... it's an addiction, a lifestyle..."

Oh, fuck, how many people have said that after their 10th or 100th jump and are out of the sport within 2-3 years, even without major traumatic injury? It's cute and most people truly believe that they believe it, but if you've really been around 12 years surely you've seen more of those than people who become lifers. Hell, I've only been around 5 years and I've seen a lot of people come and go already. I know I'm still in "tourist" status and won't claim anything otherwise till I hit the right milestones.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If that's the case, then giving it up can't be an easy choice, so why make him feel worse about it?

:|

I don't want to make him feel worse about it. I KNOW how easy it is to allow self-doubt or others' opinions influence one's decisions, sometimes even living to regret those decisions.

Just MENTIONING giving it up is already a step closer to the actual decision. I only wanted him to expend some more thought to the matter. We've had Rosa & Olympia (don't know her username) break ankles whilst jumpong (a lot less severe than Neal's injuries, I know) in the past month. Olympia's a low time jumper, but she's still hanging out at the dz and isn't quitting beacause of the inherent danger of the sport.

I've injured myself countless times - skydiving, horseriding, car accidents.. One riding injury left me recuperating for 8 months. I'm STILL riding. That could be because I'm stupid or just a sucker for punishment, but I do it because it's something I enjoy.

I truly hope Neal doesn't give up skydiving unless he absolutely HAS to..
D.S # 125

I've been around for more than 13 years now & I've seen many newbs fizzle out. I've also seen a very good friend overcome a disabilty, gain his C-license and quit skydiving after breaking his femur due to a high wind / bad decision incident. I've seen a few people die in the sport, 2 of whom I respected greatly.

Skydiving's dangerous and it's not for everyone. Some people love it until the first scare and then they re-evaluate. All I'm asking of anyone considering quitting is to make sure they really want to quit. I've quit on 1 or 2 things before that I'm still kicking myself for - if I can prevent 1 person from making a similar mistake, I'm gonna try.
D.S # 125

Well first I want to say Thank you to everyone who has posted in support of me.

Then secondly I'll say a few words on my thought process. I do NOT ever want to give up skydiving. I love it, it consumes me, and since my accident six years ago, when two of my childrem died, it was the only thing I truly enjoyed. I met a lot of folks who were my kind of people, and was finally happy again.

With all that said my decision whether or not to keep jumping is based more on necessity than wants, or desires. Make no mistake, I DO NOT want to give it up. But I have a son, who will be 18 in Nov., who has watched his dad nearly die 2x now, and saw his 10 year old brother die, and his 9 year old sister die when he was 11. Him and I truly only have each other now, and if he were to tell me he doesn't want me to jump anymore, then thatt's it, no questions asked.

I don't know you, but it sounds to me like you are being a good dad and giving yourself and your son some time to recover. The sky isn't going anywhere. Hang in there and get better, OK.

+1

and i been looking at your posting-history, knowing mine, itt cant be that bad after all.. :)

:D:D:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I’m writing from my couch where I’m confined for another few weeks by the virtue of a broken ankle (acquired on a landing accident 16 days ago … yes, I am counting). Granted that my injuries are less severe than yours, but the thought of quitting has never crossed my mind, not even for a second. This is my personal decision and I don’t believe it makes yours wrong if you decide this is the end of it. I’ve read your reasoning … wanting to protect your child from potential, further suffering is selfless and understandable – I can see how would anyone argue with it.

Sending you well wishes for a speedy recovery.

O